1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we just going to ignore the monster acquisition Microsoft made?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Also they are using their foreign cash reserves and avoiding US tax.

2. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

if they are smart they would start to release some Nokia phones ruining android

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

oh shiet... will we see a new microsoft version of ...

[​IMG]

4. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I do believe I am just going to ignore it.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

As someone who uses a Nokia Windows Phone, I don't feel like this has any real effect on me.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It just means the OS will be even more tuned to your phone. It's like running a macbook vs a hackintosh. The hackintosh's are great, but nothing compares to when the software and hardware people are on the same page. It also means that the phone should have a longer lifetime as well. Windows Phone is looking to make slow sustained growth (from 4.5 % now to 18 % by 2018) and now they can actually do that. MSFT is realistic about its growth potential and I think that this will also help tie in developers. Before, MSFT could easily just ditch the platform which made developers weary (especially with its limited market share). Now developers can see that the platform is more likely to stick around and this should help them to stick around.

(Personally, I think most of the app moaning is done by ignorant people who are not in the platform itself. Sure, it's missing some apps, but outside of what the OS already does natively and the available apps on the market I don't think it's missing much.)

I think this deal came about for one of two reasons (if not both):
    a.) MSFT needed a new CEO
    b.) Nokia, who owns 85 % of the WP8 market was on the verge of making an Android phone

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Microsoft should also purchase Blackberry, place it in the device department along with Nokia, the XBox and the Surface tablet, and spin-off that company while retaining some ownership to ensure a platform for its mobile operating system.

I have read that the biggest complaints against Microsoft's mobile operating system is that it cannot run Youtube and Instagram. I don't know if that is a killer; I mean, they have like 100,000 employees, is it inconceivable for one of them to design a feature that allows Youtube videos and Instagram pictures?

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Whomever you read that from is dead wrong. I can easily do both. Some YouTube embed's do not work (that's if they are using a flash embed) but that's it. They don't have an official Instagram client, but 6Tag, Instance, and other 3rd party apps work just fine.