1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we Alone?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Jul 25, 2016.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

can we just agree that the science of probability and the science of statistics says that aliens are more likely than god. we can agree we have more physical evidence for bigfoot or loch ness than a god character. no one can dispute that.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Non-physical evidence, or evidence of the mind is important. That changes the conclusion.

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

With the improbability that evolution alone accounts for all the differences in life here and the fact that we explain that away based vast amounts of time, wouldn't it be more likely that life originated in a much older part of the universe and was brought here by "God".

FWIW it seems that the universe is infinitely small as well as large so maybe life was created by a god that is really small but pervasive like the midichlorians in Star Wars?

In 200 years the science of today will look like cave man drawings if we survive whatever extinction event is in our future. Heck the science of today makes the science of 1960 look like cave man drawings.

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

To put the problem into perspective, we only have data from life here. Which comprises about 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 % of the known universe.

Extrapolating from that is essentially impossible. It is much much much worse, for example, that making predictions about an election talking to just one person, which everyone, I hope, would realize is insufficient.

Now, this being said, I have no problem at all with trying to figure it out, scientifically. That is the nature of science. The discussions themselves are fascinating and enlightening, regardless of what the end output might turn out to be. Just that, given the data, the fact that life exists here, and the known vastness of the universe, if we had to answer the question now, it only makes sense to answer it that life most likely does exist elsewhere. The Drake equation, even at the low end of the Monte Carlo similuations, demonstrates this. And, again, the very fact that we exist shows is a strong indicator that life exists elsewhere. Within the vastness of the universe, something occurring only once is essentially impossible, particularly if that thing is something as varied and multifaceted as 'life'. Look at all the different forms life has taken on just in our little petri dish. Life itself seems to have an unlimited set of forms. So, the question is 'Would something with an essentially unlimited set of forms be likely to occur again within an essentially unlimited set of potential environments? That answer essentially has to be 'yes'. Perhaps the question that should be being asked is 'why wouldn't that be the case?'

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

FWIW, a quote from Calvin and Hobbes (my favorite comic strip, and I particularly relate to Hobbes), applies here: "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that none of it has ever tried to contact us".

Makes you think, doesn't it? :)

6. Dei

Dei Member

I'm sorry but, unless I'm reading your post incorrectly, your argument seems to be that we should just abandon any scientific explanation and approach it from a purely logical standpoint.

Life happened on this slice of the universe -> universe is infinite (or just very big) + life is incredibly adaptive -> there must be life somewhere else

There's a big problem with that.

Abandoning the facts we know about how stars and galaxies form, what's to stop from saying that every galaxy, every star system is so unique from each other that only ours is capable of nurturing life? In fact, it's that we know stars form in such a manner that we can, with some probability, say that another planet is able to nurture life outside earth.

So I have to firmly take the stance that we cannot conclusively determine life exists somewhere else based solely on logic and probability. Further, the supporting argument that life can take on other forms from what we know I find not so dissimilar in reasoning from the argument that God designed the universe:

We don't know whether or life takes on other forms therefore highly likely life exists.

It's highly unlikely a system formed that could accommodate life even though we don't know all the details about the universe therefore God.

We might live in a closed universe (finite size). We also don't know whether the rest of the unobserved universe is relatively homogenous in terms of galaxy population.

That the universe is infinite is not a given presumption.

I'm sorry. I meant life outside earth. Life on earth is already a given but the probability might be that for all the stars in the universe, there's only one planet that could become habitable and we used that probability up. That's a possible case. And to know that, we use science.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

that's non-scientific, paranormal conclusions. i'm talking scientific conclusions and in that regard alien > god

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, most UFO sightings are explained by other phenomenon.

But this wasn't up in the sky. It was hovering just above the ground. Nor would Venus explain the airport air traffic control spotting it on their radar. It stayed there for a while...seemed like about a minute, after we saw it. It appeared to be maybe a mile away. When it left, it accelerated out of sight in just a few seconds.

There have been numerous UFO sightings around the globe. Many are discredited, some are not. There have been sightings from our astronauts, in space. Sightings from military aircraft. Sightings from commercial pilots. Sightings on radar than cannot be explained by anything made by man (due to their acceleration). There are too many of these to discount, and too many of them aren't just sightings, but other indications, like radar.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If humanity . . .goes to another planet . .. . and create life there . . . . .
    that looks similar to humanity but not humanity because it is unsuitable for humanity.

What are we to those beings?
    Are we gods or are we aliens?

Rocket River

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Chemistry is chemistry everywhere.

We know it can happen X a massive huge number of systems X a really long time = yeah probably

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Just wanted to add...I'm not trying to shut down debate or discussion on this topic, from a scientific perspective. It is a fascinating topic.

In fact, I'll go through the article, and add some comments related specifically to that.

Some of the estimations from the Drake equation came out to around 36.5 million instances of life elsewhere, with various monte carlo simulations run through it coming out a factor of 100 higher and lower. ANY of those numbers indicate pretty conclusively, fwiw, that there is a pretty high probability that life exists elsewhere, in fact a statistical certainty (if the equation indicates millions, what is the liklihood that that actual answer is '1 and only 1'. Statistically, zero). As initial observation would indicate.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We don't have a clue. What we do know is that "space" is so huge, it's past the point of human comprehension.

I read some estimate that there are 400 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy, and there are 400 billion galaxies out there. Just mind-blowing. So we don't know schit.

14. dmoneybangbang

Battlestar Galactaca.

15. Buck Turgidson

Your scientists have yet to discover how neural networks create self-consciousness, let alone how the human brain processes two-dimensional retinal images into the three-dimensional phenomenon known as perception.

Yet you somehow brazenly declare seeing is believing?

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

When also confirmed by other measurements? Why wouldn't I?

1 person likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am positive Aliens exist, not so positive God exists, though I think it likely.

I am 100% positive that all religions are mythology.

DD

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ancient Alien theory dude. If some advanced beings showed up in ancient times, they would be worshipped.

basically if me and you went back in time, we'd be gods.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

Ancients people :hey tinman what is your miracle !
    Advanced one:when I become a member of any sport fans forum ,we will not sniff a championship for over 2 decades...

Ancient people chants. :sign Lin ....sign Lin....

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

not if you didn't take any functioning technology, we would probably considered useless for what we can actually do ourselves... kill food, raise crops, shape steel