1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

are they gonna play or what?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Stevie Francis, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Stevie Francis

I'm talking about shaq and kobe being on the dream team. When will they be invited or say they wanna play in it. Man if we had that duo on the dream team we would not lose.

speaking of dream team, is the nba save the best for 2004. I still think they should let the best players play. And who cares about tattos, and bad attitudes. Let the best play. And tell them to behave too.

I mean should Barkely, GP, KG, and K mart been on the dream team if attitude and tattos mattered? Um no, so the nba has no reason to not ley the following guys be on the dream team.

Here are some people that BETTER play on the dream team in 04
    1.Kobe
    2. Francis
    3. Iverson
    4. Webber
    5. Duncan
    6. Shaq
    7. T Mac
    8. Carter
    9. P Double (paul)
    10. B Davis
    11. J Kidd
    12. for the last man, i guess anyone that deserves to be on the team the most gets placed here.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Please don't use the word "dream team". Any true basketball fan will tell you that there was and will only be one "dream team".

As for the current US National team, here's my theory. The NBA could get Shaq and Kobe and all those other guys out there if they really wanted to, and they would subsequently sqash the competition by 50 just like Jordan, Magic, Bird, and company did ten years ago.

The NBA, however, is in the midst of a SERIOUS global marketing campaign. If we sent our best guys and waxed every team by 40 or 50, that might adversely affect the foreign talent out there. They'll start to think that they can't compete with the American players, and rather than risk failure overseas, they'll stay home where they know that they'll be competitive and still earn a good salary.

That, in turn, will affect the NBA viewership overseas. If the best foreign players don't come here to play, then nobody in other countries will watch NBA games. Plus, in the short term, they will probably get bored with the United States waxing everybody and not watch the World Championships, which FIBA won't like...

(bad French accent) "Sacre Bleu!! Those filthy, disgustink Americans! Another fifty point victoreee! I zink I will watch le marathon de Jerry Lewis!"

3. mav3434

mav3434 Member

I hate calling the 92 team the Dream Team to end all dream teams if only because the Dream was not on the team, while two centers that he superseded, Ewing and Robinson, were. Oh, and Laettner was on it. They were still the best though, but the 96 team would kill them at the center spot.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Hakeem wasn't a United States citizen in 1992, so he couldn't have been on the Dream Team. While I agree that Christian Leattner shouldn't have been on the team, he was put on just to satisfy the supposed Olympic purists who didn't want the pros competing in the Olympics. Dominique Wilkins or Isiah Thomas would have been better selections.

As for the center position, Ewing and Robinson were damn good selections at the time.

Ewing in 1991/92: 24 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 52% field goal percentage.
    Robinsons in 1991/92: 23 points, 12 rebounds, 4.5 blocks, and 55% from the field.

5. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

The Dream Team was certainly no dream. We could put a better team together today by just picking from one team. Time's change. They are only getting better and better!

6. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

No Garnett?

There are only three true big men on that team. We should be taking advantage of one of our strengths...post play.

They will also probably pick Elton Brand.

7. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

and also, lebron james will proly be on the 2004 team if hes as good as they say he is.

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I doubt if they put Lebron on the 2004 team. He will play his first NBA season in 2003. Only one year before the olympics. If you look at past olympic teams, most everyone has at least 3-4 years of experience. There is one exception-Vince Carter. And even he had two full seasons of NBA experience and three seasons at UNC.