1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are there bigger waste of money signings this offseason than Fail Jackson, Dreck Fisher and Melo?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 4, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I don't remember any position the Zen has taken where he did not have great talent. He has made a lot of money in his life, his girlfriend is a Buss, and I have absolutely no clue what possessed him. Boredom? I doubt it was the money.

2. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Kobe only got that money because Jeanie Buss slept with him and liked it.... yes I just made it up, but it still holds true in my head.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Power maybe? He had never had the power of a GM although I'd imagine he had a lot of personnel say during his Lakers days. Maybe he wanted to get his hands on the toy just for once in his life? Kind of like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

turrible coach too, and a lot of clutchfans members wanted him, ugh :mad:

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ha, well that would actually make more sense

6. ln3012

ln3012 Member

definitely overpaid, but he'll make an all-nba team this year. far from a minimum player

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Jackson has been there one offseason, with several bad contracts on the books for this year. They weren't going to win a championship no matter what he did. Even prime Jerry West couldn't turn that team into a contender overnight. They should tank as much as possible this season while letting the bad contracts expire, then chase a max free agent with their cap space in the offseason. What is the point in winning 45 games this year? How does that help them going forward instead of getting a high draft pick?

Other than hiring Fisher, I wouldn't have done anything differently. And remember that his first hiring choice was actually Steve Kerr, who is absolutely killing it in Golden State, before negotiations broke down over salary.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Shooting 39% and play no defense?

Not likely.

9. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Most people don't view it this way. They believe that once new management takes over there should be sweeping changes right away but in reality you have to see what you have on hand and then slowly repair what the guy before you had messed up.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think money was the main reason. It was just too much to pass up.

I'm sure he was bored too.

11. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Isiah? Isiah is over 6 years removed from making decisions for the NYK.

This is not on Isiah.

12. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Has anyone here read Melo's feature in this month's ESPN The Magazine? He comes off like Corbin Bernsen's character in Major Leagues - completely obsessed with money and nonchalant about winning. It's like he desperately wants to be Jay-Z and is flailing around trying to figure how to do it. If I was a Knicks fan and read that, I'd swear off the team while he's their star.

13. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

That would be a good comparison except that Corbin was a washed up has been in the movie. Melo is still a very good offensive player.

14. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Exactly. To judge Phil Jackson 2 months into the start of the season is too harsh.

2015 is when the Knicks will have lots of cap room to attract free agents, and they will.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who is headed there to play with aging Melo and JR Smith in Fisher's triangle?

Marc Gasol?
    Aldridge?
    Rondo?
    Dragic?

16. rm365

Gasol probably won't leave. Dragic I think is a possibility. Wesley Matthews?
    Who knows.

Fact is they will have money for once and I am somewhat confident that Jackson will make good investments.

Believe it or not, a lot of players do want to play in NYC and the garden and for Phil Jackson.

17. Carl Herrera

NYC has been a desirable location for a very long time and has hired big name coaches and execs who are supposedly attractive to free agents for big money in recent years. And it hasn't gotten them anywhere for more than a decade.

They had plenty of cap room as recently as 2010, 2011, and ended up with their current roster that topped out at 53 wins and crumbled quickly.

18. rm365

They have a new GM. As long as they don't give out a blunderous contract ala past prime Amare Stoudemire or Steve Nash, they should be ok.

19. Carl Herrera

They might have already given one out-- $125M to an aging scorer who care about being a "taste maker" more than he does about winning basketball games and is now leading the team to a 4-15 record.

20. Vienna Calling

The Knicks spend 90 million $ on their roster this season. That's the second highest payroll in the leage. And still they are an unbelievable 4-16 in the sorry East! The Knicks are a joke of a franchise.