1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are there any people here who don't believe in evolution?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by roslolian, Feb 2, 2010.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Women in Egyptian art are always depicted in the pink range and men in the dark range. That way it was always clear who was what.

The general thought is that this had more to do with ruggedness vs delicacy. Men were warriors, workers, farmers, etc - all stuff in the sun. Women were inside taking care of kids or in temples, etc.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It is amazing to much how far a little scientific literacy would go in this world.

The ape thing is a perfect example of natural selection/breeding... for example, if dogs evolved from wolves, then why are there still wolves?

Because of selective reproduction/breeding (which does not have to be man-made).

3. Landlord Landry

if homosapiens evolved from neanderthals why are there still neanderthals?

[​IMG]

4. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You're doing it wrong.

[​IMG]

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem here though is you are setting up an argument that calls into question the whole nature of science since if you say that evolution is magic since it can't show how matter came to be then why any other theory such as saying that the theory of areodynamic lift or global warming is magic since it can't show how air came to exist.

What this strikes me is as a shifting of goalpost in the argument where the debate to remove it from a scientific debate to a philosophical argument. There is nothing inherently wrong with that but at that point you might as well concede that you are no longer talking about science.
    As I noted to another poster who brought up the big bang, a poster who supports Evolution, that dragging things like the Big Bang into an Evolutionary discussion is so general as meaningless since every scientific theory could be considered a subset of the Big Bang theory so yes I do apply that standard to both.

#105 rocketsjudoka, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Interesting article but I question its data set. Light skinned, light haired and light eyed people have existed since ancient times outside of the Baltic region. Many of the central Asiatic and Mongol tribes had those features. Genghis Khan was described as having red hair and the Tatar Tribe was said to have blue eyes. These are people who live in upper latitudes with extreme climates, so they have low sunlight for much of the year, but they also eat a very heavy meat based diet.

As as an example here is the famous National Geographic photo of the Pashtun girl alongside a picture of her as an adult. Note that even though her people have been in that region for millenia her features are very similar to those of a Norther European.
    [​IMG]

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

There are known migrations of entire peoples over the Eurasia throughout history.

Even the migration of a few individuals can leave traces of their racial heritage.

There are genetic anomalies such as albinoism that appear and repeat.

Just imagine how many Greek and Macedonian children were fathered during Alexander's conquests in Asia.

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I only brought it up for the goofy point of "God created evolution." It could easily used to say "God created aerodynamic lift," too.

9. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

why is it goofy to say God created Evolution? 2 Peter 3:8 tells us -

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

We do not know how long the first day was. It may have well been tens of thousands of years, or a million years. Creationists need to remember that the bible was written with metaphors and colloquialisms. Evolutionists would do good to remember that as well.

To me, the Big Bang theory sounds exactly like God saying "Let there be light". I don't believe Evolution and Creation are mutually exclusive at all. Nowhere in the bible does it say how long the Earth was here before Man came along. It does say that creatures roamed the Earth before man (I can't tell you where exactly it says that off the top of my head - but this to me hints at dinosaurs, etc..)

We do need to remember, that Darwin's theory does not, at all, explain how life came to be, only the evolution of life..and Darwin himself, believed there was a God.

The religious need to quit demonizing Charles Darwin, and the Athiests need to being so dismissive of the beliefs of the religious.

I'm a fairly religious person...working for the 2nd largest Christian TV Network in the world...but I do believe in Creation...by way of Evolution - and there are many people here who would agree - so don't lump all religious people into being "anti-science"

1 person likes this.
  10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How do you get a male and a female at the same time and at the same place so that they can propogate? Otherwise wouldn't you just have many, many more subspecies... an amount that would have to coincide with the number of random matings in the wild?

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Good post.

I don't think its goofy at all that God(s) are responsible but evolution was the means. I don't think that is scientifically provable but I see no problem with that belief.

13. Dubious

Because the one universe that man actually knows about is
    4/3 pi 13.72 light years, cubed ; and expanding at the speed of light ?

So it's pretty hard to imagine that something anthropomorphic can account for something so large. And there probably are other dimensions too.

Or, that the atomic structures that we know about are something like 10 to the negative 15th power of an angstrom small and exist in numbers that are way way beyond anything humans can relate to. And at the subatomic level they can exist or not exist, or both at the same time.

Or that, all life as we know it is structured around the principle of kill and be killed, and exists with unimaginable horror as a standard everyday component. That sort leaves one questioning the intelligence of the design and the compassion of the creator.

So of you choose to believe a single ancient text of selected, interpreted, translated and edited parables defines the ultimate truth of physical existence, then yeah, that seems a little goofy to me.

But if you can, more power to you. You'll be a lot happier.

#113 Dubious, Feb 3, 2010
  14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Because there is no evidence of such.

15. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dvwH8Qij0JY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dvwH8Qij0JY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

What would any of that matter to an omnipotent and omniscient being?

17. Dubious

no.... if there is one.

But it certainly raises the bar for a rational belief.

(of course faith is not rational ... but doesn't that make it sort of goofy?)

Did we discuss the physics of consciousness after death?

Say what you will about Goofy, but you never see him in an introspective funk!

[​IMG]

#117 Dubious, Feb 3, 2010
  18. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

So your saying that due to the vastness of the Universe that we know of, that YOU can't imagine someone omnipotent enough to have been responsible for that. Maybe you can't, but I can. I have seen what can be accomplished through God, its not hard to imagine for me.

So humans can't related to such infinite calculations of particle that makes up matter so God must now exist?

God gave us dominion over the earth and free will. If there is a God, then there is just as likely an evil presence that struggles with man for control of the world. Man has to surrender himself to God.

I love this "if you don't share my oppinions...you have goofy beliefs". I would never ever say this to someone..sorry, I'm just not that egotistical.

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

sorry, I meant to say.

So humans can't related to such infinite calculations of particle that makes up matter so God must NOT exist?

20. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

In purely logical terms, that would be argument from ignorance.

a.) I don't know what exists outside the universe,
    b.) therefore it must be my God.

The train of thought should end at a. If you don't know what exists outside of the universe, you should understand that you are in no position to make suppositions about what exist outside of the universe. The greatest flaw in the character of man is an inability to accept uncertainty.

Believe in whatever pet theories about extra-universal conditions you feel comfortable with, but don't mistake belief for absolute rock-solid unshakable truth. In fact, my corollary would be that if your theory does seem to make human logical sense - if it appears that your supposed conditions outside the universe make the universe appear to have a meaning built around you - that is probably a pretty good reason to discount it as wishful thinking.

1 person likes this.