1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets "tough"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vega_281, Mar 25, 2014.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Or he will go nose to nose with you and then laugh when the other person tries to shove him and ends up shoving himself off balance. :grin:

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I picture Harden a lot like Kobe, except Kobe had better defense.

3. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I should hope not. Kobe is:

- An *******
    - Selfish
    - Alleged rapist

I would much rather Harden be like Jerry West TBH or Joe Dumars.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And perhaps the worst locker room guy in the history of the NBA. I mean, he single handedly drove away Howard. Nice job Kobe!!!

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Who cares.

"Toughness" is a myth and does correlate to winning.

6. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Toughness is a myth?

Wat

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

True that. Especially in today's NBA.

8. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Kobe Bryant is probably the second best 2 in the history of the NBA. And if Harden can elevate his game to that level the Rockets will likely win it all, this year.

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Harden is tough to an extend but as a team no we sure as hell aren't.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And how do you define "tough"? I define it as the ability to put away convincingly inferior opponents and fight like hell against everyone else. The days of going all Ron Artest are over.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't think we were very tough at the beginning of the season, but the Rockets have become much more mentally tough over the past 4 months.

We're not Piston's Bad Boy era tough of course, but that type of physical play would never fly in the modern NBA.

Bev is no Mad Max, but he is about as close as you can get in the 21st century NBA.

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I put Kobe in the top 5, but I would hardly put him at #2. I would put Jerry West and probably Dominique Wilkins before Kobe. Joe Dumars and Clyde Drexler are arguably comparable as well.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Toughness is when you don't get punked by Memphis in the playoffs. Let's hope this doesn't happen.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Side note: I prefer 'Pat Bull' (or 'Bev Bull' my own choice) as a nickname over 'Red Bull'.

15. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I won't say tough, I'll rate them around a 4. With Dwight, he brings it down at least -3.

16. alethios

alethios Member

Amen - there's been a lot of rule changes since then that have affected how much contact is allowed, additional enforcement rules of flagrant fouls and new rules on hand-checking.

17. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I mean Howard got a T for passing the ball to the ref.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Toughness has no meaning in basketball.

It is a word to give an alternate negative description to something a person already doesn't like but wants to pile on.

Its a cop out for people who can't properly articulate their arguments or simply don't have an argument.

It has no place in any intelligent basketball conversation.

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

That notion of tough is hard to determine in today's game.

Players are not allowed to be as tough anymore based on the rules and all of the flopping.

I consider a "tough team" based on their demeanor, handling business, and the unity they play with through DIFFICULT situations.

Hands down, the TOUGHEST team in NBA is the Pacers. That's a brotherhood there. There's no joking around. Each game is completely business (minus a few moments from LoKoLance). A line-up of Paul George, Lance, D-West, Roy and George Hill isn't one of showboating. It's playing smart, playing physically and wearing players down.

IMO, David West is the most underrated PF in the game, both in terms of his game and what he brings to a team. He's a boss.

Even Scola comes out and does not F around.

I think the Rockets have some tough moments, but I think we play more "loose." That's part of the offense, but it's a lot to do with the roster and McHale. Our identity isn't as serious as , say, the Spurs. Our players have a different mentality, as does our coach.

It's not a bad thing, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if we had an enforcer on the team once again. Where's RonRon when you need him?

20. bmd

bmd Member

Toughness is a mentality. I find the Rockets get kind of flustered on the road when the other team makes a little run and the crowd gets into it. Mainly against good teams. They start forcing things, getting flustered, and panicking in a sense. They start turning the ball over, throwing up bad shots, etc.

Mentally tough teams maintain their composure and focus and know they aren't going to get it all back at once. They will remain calm and play how they play.

Rockets aren't mentally tough as a team yet. They get flustered too easily.

They come back against bad teams, but lose composure against good teams.