1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets Serious title Contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Dec 19, 2002.

1. MManal

MManal Member

Yup fully agreed 100%. The team has all the talent it needs in the frontcourt imo. It is definitely irritating b/c they are just sooooooo inconsistent. One night they have 24 ast and only 7 turnovers, another night its 12 ast 18 TOs. Im hoping that nights when Mobley isnt playing well, Rudy has enough sack to go with Posey and Rice and the 2/3 down the stretch. When Mobley plays like last night, he should finish games, but games where he is not letting the offense come to him and forcing too much action, he should sit in the 4th. I want to see SUSTAINED team ball from this team.

2. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I have thought a lot about this prospect since yesterday, and I was talking this morning with a friend of mine who is a devout Mavs fan. it's caused me to think about one aspect that I think skews this discussion.

when we think about whether we're title contenders, I think it's natural to compare us to the Lakers, who of course have won the last 3 titles.

and I think we match up and compare favorably with them. this is complete conjecture because we haven't faced them at remotely full strength, but I still would feel confident about us being able to compete with them. I think the Lakers would bring the best out of us.

BUT. . .

when I think about us playing the Mavs or Kings in a 7 game series, I think realistically we'd get taught a few lessons.

I think the Lakers are ripe for a team like us to reach up and smack 'em.

but I think the Mavs and Kings consistenly play at a level far higher than the one we even occasionally reach.

bottom line: I think we have everything we need to upset the Lakers. before we could get past the Mavs or Kings, though, I think we need a year or two of gut-burning defeats to make us mentally primed for basketball warfare.