1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets as good as their record indicates?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Andrew Wiggins, Nov 14, 2014.

?

Are the Rockets as goood as their record indicates?

1. Yes.

158 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. No.

98 vote(s)
    38.3%
  1. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Any team that loses 2 starters loses depth automatically.

2. rocketseagles07

No and that's fine. Most of the teams we beat have been getting killed by other teams. We are however good enough to get a top 3 seed and that's fine with me

3. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

No but they are a lot better than most experts thought they would be.

4. Andrew Wiggins

After the Lillard shot and Parsons leaving the insecurity level here. Very few actually read threads or even the OP before they comment. I posted facts and gave my opinion (yes I think we are the best team right now barring injuries) and was attacked over that, my username, and a typo.

The most interesting here is no one wanted to say what they are defending. The Rockets having the best record in the NBA means they are the best team in the NBA. Our point differential is more than the Grizzlies. I brought up the schedule because everyone else and the media is blaming that for our record.

5. Andrew Wiggins

fixed

6. basketballholic

Our 8 wins have come against teams who are a combined 20-41. That's basically the season record of the second or third worst team in the league. We will have to see how they look after more games against teams that are playoff worthy.

7. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I think more than the record, it's HOW they are playing...with the exception of the last game or two. But then, we are still missing two starters. Although they are not our superstars, if you are missing two starters, it will affect your play eventually because of rotations and minutes played.

This team when at full strength, is light years better than last years team in the WAY that they play.

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

Like any team, we are doomed for a slump. We won't go on a 8-1 pace the rest of the way, but it is extremely promising to be winning 100% of the games we should be winning. The 76ers near loss hopefully isn't a sign of things to come... OKC should be another "should win"

9. Andrew Wiggins

You have to count the 76ers twice because we played them twice. Although, I think we beat a team last night that was playing at least 500 ball without 2 of our starters, but their record is still 0-9. The game had a playoff atmosphere.

The way we win our games says this team is definitely much better. The only player on the roster I expected more from was Black. I knew Dorsey was a mistake. Everyone else has improved (outside of our rookies who no one expected to play this season, but they're both projects).

Harden - better defense and playmaking
    Howard - defensive monster, free throws are up, no one wants to get in front of him when he tries for the alley-oop
    Ariza - best (bargain) 3 and D guy you can ask for. He knows his role. His defense alone gives us at least 6 points on offense each night. Rebounds very well. I can go on.
    Canaan - I always liked this pick. His stats, and pre-draft numbers all said he was a steal even though he was a bit undersized. He can catch and shoot extremely well, and seems to have this ability to take and make big threes which reminds me of Lowry. He creates his offense when his number is called. He forces it sometimes, but he is still young. He will learn. His defense is good.
    Terry - best catch and shoot player in the league, smart player
    Papanikalou - he is the most surprising by far. I am always optimistic when Morey signs guys from overseas who I've never heard of, but it was hard for me to see what he brings. The contract he gave him made me think he was a proven player, but I had my doubts.
    D-Mo - he is finally looking like he is putting it together. Maybe all he needed was minutes.
    Jones - Still rebounds and puts back shots very well. He looks more polished all-around this season
    Daniels - that shot wasn't a fluke. He can shoot.
    Beverley - It's Pat.
    Garcia - still can't find his shot, but he is better defensively out there. That's what this team is about and everyone from the players to the coaching staff keeps talking about defense and championships. Garcia has been listening.

Memphis is a big test because they play defense and they have bigs that preset problems for us. Randolph has been playing well this season. After we play Memphis, I will have a better idea of how good this team is.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It indicates you are not very good at math or understanding that all of these games count in the final standings.

11. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

ain't happening

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

We are exactly as good as our record indicates against the teams we have played so far. I don't know how we will fare against other teams.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

but you are counting our wins against them. If you don't count the games we beat them in, the record against the league is

20-33

fwiw

and we are 5-0 on the Road. That's huge no matter who it is against.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

From a recent Lowe article...

In a way I agree with what you are saying. Definitely have to see how things look against better teams, but what we have done so far is what the really good teams do against an easy schedule.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Plus I believe we are in the top of opp pts and point diff

16. Andrew Wiggins

We played 8 teams a total of 9 times (Philly twice). They should be counted twice, so add another 6 losses (which totals out to 0-14 which is there record minus our two games multiplied by 2) and it comes out to 20-39. Otherwise we are 7-1 if you only want to count one of the wins.

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'd suggest resting Harden against OKC, because Memphis is going to be laying the lumber on him.

18. okeezie

okeezie Member

Defense is defense. I don't care who you play. Why was the GS game close with us missing 3 starters? Defense. Why have we won 7 games by double digits? Defense. Why did we win last night despite shooting like crap from the FT and 3 point line? Defense. Do you guys realize the Spurs had the #1 seed last year with a mediocre record against the top teams? Why? Because they beat the dog pooh out of the bad teams. We won 54 games last year with bad losses too Utah, Philly, Lakers, and Sac. So stop with the weak schedule crap. The only thing that matters is defense and if we are playing it or not.

19. StevieCrossover

55 wins season?

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Morey doesn't think they are, and that's all that matters.