1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the players trying to get Van Grumpy fired??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jediknight94595, Nov 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

I didn't know that Van Grumpy has never had a losing season. Something is rotten in the Toyota Center. :(

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

You're in trouble when your franchise player fails to score in double digits every other game.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We went to the finals with Harris, Fitch, and Rudy. Only Cheney and Gumby left and I doubt we hated Cheney as much as Gumby.

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Be careful of what you wish for crash.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Even if some of the players don't like JVG they still should play hard everyday because they represent the Houston Rockets.
    Not liking JVG or his methods should not be an excuse for failure.
    They are just as responsible as JVG is for the state we are in.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good question. 21 years of Rocket loyalty, I don't recall anyone being as hated as JVG right now. Coming from Houston fans, some of the nicest in the world, it says a lot.

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Very refreshing to have a Doc sighting in the midst of this depressing time. What the overheard bits suggest to me is that players are unhappy. But it's only a few games; I can't see either Van Gundy or Les giving up on JVG's coaching so easily. If a few key players (like T-Mac and Yao) are explicit to JVG, CD, or Les that they would prefer a coaching change, that would be one thing. But for reasons already posted, I don't see T-Mac or Yao (especially Yao) doing that.

Doc's quotes make a coaching change more of a possibility than I expected, but for the moment, I still think we're likely to make a roster move before a coaching move, even though we don't have too many options for a roster move. For example, I could see us trading for Mourning with the exception, even though it's probably not a good move.

8. gucci888

Agreed. I'm sure Les/CD will try to make a trade before giving up on JVG, its a matter of throwing away a 2M multi-million dollard contract.

However, I honestly don't see a trade we could make to turn this team around. The role players have been crap, but this team's success is based on the Yao/TMac duo. It is obvious that TMac's game is being severely hindered by JVG's system, it this continues, it really doesn't matter who we bring in.

9. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I agree that a trade probably won't help, and that's what worries me. But like you said, I can't see Les and CD actually trying first before making a coaching change.

Maybe Phil Jackson is illegally negotiating with management again. :rolleyes:

10. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

This whole situation is just like when the Nets got Byron Scott fired last year. They half-assed it, then Frank got the job, and boom, 10 straight wins. They went on to almost beat the Pistons in the playoffs.

11. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

jimy eh...:rolleyes:

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

I can't post this link too many times :) The Knicks were 4-6 at the time.

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2001/11/18/kkgcolum.htm

Over the next twenty days, they improved somewhat, went 6-3 (including a win over the Rockets), and then he walked away after the Knicks beat the Milwaukee Bucks.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

edc,

Sounds like he wanted to seem like things were on the up tick, but realized that the team was going nowhere and bailed out.

Coaches like JVG do not last, they will ultimatly lose every team they coach, people like him have a very short shelf life.

He has worn out his welcome in Houston in little more than a year.....

Same ole same ole.

DD

14. gucci888

OMG!! We are in the exact same position as that 2000 Knicks team. I guess that's your point, good find edc.

Grumpy coach, inconsistent star, finicky star, 3 mediocre guards, dour moods, inflexible system, plodding offense. Can anyone tell me the only constant from that 2000 Knicks team and this 2004 Rockets team?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2 of em.

JVG and Charlie Ward.

16. edc

edc Contributing Member

Charlie Ward ;)

17. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

who said it? there are 15 possibilities

New players, can't be fed up with JVG in less than a 1/4 of a season?
    Andre Barrett - no, just a rook
    Ryan Bowen - doesnt matter what you think
    Reece Gaines - doesnt matter what you think
    Juwan Howard - doesnt matter what you think DNP CD
    Tyronn Lue - doesnt matter what you think
    Dikembe Mutombo - reeling in so major coin, could care less
    Bob Sura - just got on the court
    Charlie Ward - former knick nuff said
    Tracy McGrady - ?

Hold overs
    Jimmy Jackson - teacher pet...
    Scott Padgett - resigned this yr, knew what he was getting into
    Clarence Weatherspoon - former knick..been there done that
    Bostjan Nachbar - "im outta here next yr..."
    Yao Ming - ?!?
    Maurice Taylor - ?

18. gucci888

Well, if I had to take a stab at it, I would have to say it was either TMac, MoT, or even Yao.

Or, of course, Colonel Mustard with the Candlestick. :)

19. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I was just reading over some of the events that happened when Doc Rivers was fired when he coached the Magic. Of course, they were 1 - 10. We are not. An intresting quote though, I thought

http://pub2.sportsline.com/nba/story/6842816

"I pretty much had an idea that it was going to go down, I just didn't know when," Orlando star Tracy McGrady said. "For the most part, it's a pretty sad day for me because over the years I've grown close to Doc. He came in and did a tremendous job of helping me become the player that I am, the person that I am."

Still, McGrady indicated the team needs the changes that Davis will bring.

"J.D. is a laid-back coach. He teaches the game from an individual standpoint, one-on-one," McGrady said. "If you make a mistake, he's real calm about it. He's not the kind of guy that really yells and screams at the top of his lungs.

Hmmm, who yells and screams all the time (or at least has a rep for doing it) Also, there was no badmouthing the coach or saying he wanted him out. He simply said he knew it was going to happen. I believe the same thing can be said in this situation. Just a though guys...

20. noize

noize Contributing Member

It seems like JVG is too hard on his player to where they're afraid to make mistake like what most of them have said including T-Mac. This just added unnecessary presssure to perform well.

About JVG, does anyone know whats his best record in a season is? I know that he took his 8th seed Knicks to the final, but I don't think that record was any good, at least not to a point where he is considered a great coach by many people.