1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Astros too good to where all the Games are boring now?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Daddy Long Legs, May 16, 2017.

1. theimpossibles1

Are the Astros too bad to where all the Games are boring now?

we are losing a lot lately.

discuss

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ugly stretch. Trade deadline and all star break coming at good times. Peacock was unlikely to be able to keep up his season opening performance but McHugh not working out as a starter was a big blow when combined with none of the youngsters truly breaking out.

The injuries to 3 superstars were bound to have some effect but at least Altuve and Springer look healthy since coming back.

They’re on pace for 100 wins. Bottom line is that barring multiple serious injuries they are very likely to win the division and if they add a good starter and everybody stays healthy they will have as good a chance as anyone to win it all, so in that respect nothing has changed from opening day.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, there is something that has changed since opening day- we've called up a future HOF'er (who might not be if this knee discomfort leads to having to amputate his leg).

If it's an ACL tear I offer him 10 years and 100 million the day before the surgery by the way.

4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

What is with y’all and these $100M contracts to guys who have played three weeks in the MLB?

arkoe likes this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, if he takes it and is even a tad better than league average it’s a win.
    You don’t lock superstars up for cheap- or guys approaching FA. Value comes by being right and signing a guy when young.
    A guy that is going under the knife is a guy that might glimpse his baseball mortality and want to secure the bag.
    And it’s a round number.

6. Major

Major Member

The earlier you sign players, the bigger risk you take, but the bigger discount you get. If you're confident someone will be great, the earlier you sign him, the better.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I understand how contracts and risk taking work but I’m not $100M confident he will be great and I’m a huge fan. Plus there’s so many other factors like injuries, personal life, etc.

8. Major

Major Member

That's fine - but other people apparently are that confident. You asked why people were suggesting it - that's your answer. Beyond that, things like Injuries, personal life, etc would be relevant for any 10 year deal - doesn't really matter if he's been in MLB for 3 weeks or 5 years.

9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I guess my question was more “why are people so confident”. And yeah it does matter...the difference between 3 weeks and 5 years is we have six years of control and don’t have to pay him if any of the above happens. Whereas after 5 years we don’t have that luxury.