1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are spread offenses in High School hurting growth of Elite QB's in the NFL

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by UtilityPlayer, Jan 3, 2015.

1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Majority of our HS football teams run the spread , colleges use spread a lot too. Are we missing out on "Better " QB in the long run due to these systems implemented everywhere starting when kids are like 14-15 ish.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Did the option or wishbone ruin it a generation earlier? Pro scouts and coordinators know what to look for; and attitude, attentiveness and adaptability will allow the good ones to learn on the job, like Montana or Simms.

3. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

Winston> Mariota

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

High Schoolers can easily be coached out of bad habits, it's spread offenses in college that are the problem. College is where the NFL schooling is supposed to take place.

It's one of the reasons I would never want my team to use a high pick on a spread offense QB. They can never seem to break themselves of the quick read or bust habits.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I had the same question

Rocket River

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There's about the same number of good QB's available each year I feel. I think you have GM's thinking they can do more with spread QB's or run spread friendly schemes in the pros.

You never used to have GM's thinking Eric Crouch or Jason White would be studs and taking them early in the draft. A very small handful of guys see a little success in the NFL and now you have GM's taking chances on guys.

It's on the GM's.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Drew Brees

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Are the defensive schemes not as complicated in college?

Rocket River

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I think it has more to do with speed, rather than scheme.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That's what they say, but doesn't NFL WR and running backs get faster as well? I am not sure why it doesn't work as well in NFL. Or is it because the DL and linebackers get so much faster than the college players but the offensive skilled player are not a lot faster than their college counterparts?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I also think . . .alluded to in the Texans Forum

These QBs are throw to the wolves much too soon
    The Grooming of a QB is just not happening anymore

If you GREAT in college and drafted in the 1st round
    you got like 3 yrs to make a name
    If you mediocre to good in college . . drafted in the late rounds
    you may can hang around for a while to be coached up

TJ Yates
    Jake Locker
    Blaine Gabbert
    Christian Ponder
    . . . . Serious question as to which ones will last the longest in the league

Rocket River