1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Rockets fans the best fans in the NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jan 1, 2012.

?

Rockets fans are

1. simply the best, better than all the rest, better than everyone..

28 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. the worst fan base in the nba

15 vote(s)
    16.5%
  3. just like everybody else does... how soon is now?

48 vote(s)
    52.7%
  1. il italiano

il italiano Member

we can barely fill a stadium even when our team is decent... last year we couldnt even sell out our season opener (i was there vs denver) despite there being a lot of optimism going into that year w/ a healthy yao.

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

We're not the worst fans because we boo'ed some loser who doesn't even play for us anymore, but we're not the best either. The best fans stay loyal no matter what and really bring the noise at the games. I was there during that Portland series win and it was incredible, but Toyota Center fans just don't bring it like that consistently. PDX fans are probably the most loyal, loud, and classy. I loved when they stood up and clapped for Deke when his career ended on their court. No way would Utah fans have done the same.

Lakers and Knicks fans get loud, but they also boo their own team when they play bad. THAT is what's considered embarrassing to me, not boo'ing some ex-Rocket quitter...

1 person likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

great post!

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There are a few fanbases who are always good, or always bad.

But most fall in the middle. If the team is doing well they support them, if not they don't. We're right in that pack. Considering we've won 1 series in 15 years, its hard to really get the casual fans engaged.

Houston has made a lot of headway in the last 20 years though. The city has had so many transplants that weren't really Houstonians. So despite our large population it wasn't a really large fanbase. During the 90's glory years we never finished higher than 17th in attendance.

Most of the kids of these transplants, are growing up Houston fans, not all, but most, so the true fanbase is growing.

Probably below average, but not noteworthy either way.

5. Rockets_Texans

I think the Bulls have the best fan base in the NBA.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We are not the best fans in the league...
    It took us til like 20 wins in a row before tickets sold out in the Toyota Center in '08...

7. Damion Laverne

Almost every Rockets fan here is a good fan. Flippedfk is the one major exception.

8. Mr. Space City

i agree with this.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

stfu. that's all i want to say to the OP cause you're an idiot. you're an armchair point guard.

But i'll go ahead and explain. I'm at almost every single game. our fans suck. I didn't boo because I didn't care enough to boo him. But damn, when we're good, we still kinda suck as fans. I don't know what exactly it's going to take to change the sports culture of Houston. I get kind of sick of some guy in a foreign city telling me about fans in my city. sure you were in my city a long time ago, but this is now.

Fan bases I may not like, but respect. Most New York teams, Boston, Philly, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Portland. yeah, Portland loves their Blazers, and watching the Dynamo, they love their Timbers Soccer club.

here's the thing about booing your own team. When they miss shots, when they get boxed out, when they blow a layup, you can't boo. they're playing hard. when they jake it or just don't show up because they don't want to get traded and announce they're having surgery, or when they don't want to give up their starting gig, and minutes to a hall of fame player then it's kind of a punk move.

see what I did there? I lumped two losers together.

1 person likes this.
  10. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Wow, did u just throw MadMax under the same bus with TMac?

11. Victorious

Victorious Member

This. The only reason i like Ny and Bos are because of their fans. I'd say everyone of my fans except me are fair weather fans.

12. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Wow that was cold. I am a die hard Rockets fan as upset as I am with the state of the franchise I still continue to support the Rockets. If the Rockets became the worst team in the NBA I would still support them.

Unfortunately the Rockets fans are nowhere near the best in the NBA. Other teams suck and still sell out. The Rockets have such a lack of fan support that they have to give out free tickets for people to cheer in the red rowdies. If you go to New York, Boston, Utah, Portland ot Chicago everybody is rowdy. The Toyota center is a library compared to some other arenas.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

some posters like to show up on my threads.:grin:

I don't think it's all about the number of fans, it's the passion of the fans.
    Booing, cheering, it's part of the experience.

14. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

certified tinfan

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I love me some Vernon Maxwell too, but I'm going have to call a spade a spade. I'm not going to sugar coat it, and throw stupid smiley pics, youtube videos, and lyrics to stupid songs.

"The passion" isn't there for 41 games. It shows up when the team is hot, or some big name team or player shows up. I want to see it night in and night out.

I'm trying to help change the culture of the GARM also like the same way I'm trying to change the culture of Toyota Center.

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

In terms of hardship, I think we have the arguably best fans in the NBA. Injuries, potential and loss...we've been through the ringer.

When I lived in Denver, there were probably 50 Rockets fans at those games. I recognized the same people every year.

Now, in Phoenix, it's the same thing. You recognize the same Rockets fans that keep showing up, despite the horrible decisions being made by the front office or even with all of the injuries and jacked up trades.

I do agree that it's hard to be a Rockets fan at times. I wouldn't give it up for anything though.

However, you can't convince me that McHale is a better coach than Rick, that trading for Thabeet was a good move and that giving up everything for Pau was going to make us better. I think the Rockets are shaky when it comes to decision-making.

I'll be a fan regardless of the hardships.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I was there for the Game 6 win over portland. The craziness of the crowd is being over rated. It might be crazy compared to other Toyota Center crowds but was TAME compared to a Duke, j*zz, or even a Texans game.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

So why is it that when Barkley said that the Rockets only won rings because MJ wasn't playing you shut your trap? :confused:

19. dje243

dje243 Member

I bet if you were to walk into any given sporting goods store in Houston you would find that about 90% of the patrons wouldn't be able to name 3 current rockets. I live in Denton, a small city north of Dallas, so when I visit the family in houston I'm usually excited to pick up some rockets gear. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when academy carries maybe one kind of rockets shirts and no rockets hats/jerseys. As a hardcore rockets fan in mavs town it just makes me sick that no one in houston seems to care about the rockets anymore. I know the stock in an academy is not a good measure of a fan base, but if we assume that the laws of supply and demand hold true then my guess is that they don't stock very much rockets stuff b/c no one wants that stuff. I'm sure the people that go to rockets games regularly are good fans. But outside of that is there a strong support base like that in OKC or memphis? I doubt it.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Barkley played for the Rockets and he played pretty hard. Whatever he says before or after his tenure doesn't change that he helped the Rockets to a great season and the WCF.

If you want to start a Barkley thread, go ahead and do so. But my opinion of Chuck as a Rocket won't change. Plus I enjoy watching him on TNT.

ps. what does this have to do with this thread?