1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are pure shooting Euros "changing the league" ... Really, Fran?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, May 29, 2002.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Nitwitz shows up with zero (I mean zero) defense and little ability to score at crunch time against doubles, and Nellie points out that he needs work on his passing skills...and this guy is supposed to be representing the "what basketball is all about" according to Fran Blinebury. Yeah, in the ABA it is.

Then we have Peja, another Kiki Vandeweghe.

This is a big laugher. Obviously the Kings don't even need him to beat the Lakers. So, is it Turkaglug who is changing the Kings? The Kings are changing the league, but not just because they have two pure-shooting Euros. It is because Bibby, Divac and Webber are about as fundamentally sound players as there are in this league, and then you have a penetrating maniac like Bobby Jackson and the defensive stud in Christie.

Write that knee-jerk reaction article again, Fran. Who is "changing the league?" And what is "basketball all about." And why are Euro's producing more fundamentally sound players than, ummm, let's say Duncan and Garnett?

#1 heypartner, May 29, 2002
    Last edited: May 29, 2002
  2. TexasG

TexasG Member

So you're saying that Euro's are having no impact on the league?

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think the lack of good shooter has put a premium on good shooters and most of the good shooters are Euro's.

Cerainly Peja was the key player for the Kings earlier in the season when Webber went out. Hedo has stepped up big time for Peja in the play offs so loosing Pefa was managable even against LAL.

All things considered I think the way Bibby is playing in the play offs is a much better guage of what the NBA should be. He is playing good defense, driving the ball to the basket and hitting his free throws. Bibby's game has been complete IMO. Webber has been outstanding but he has missed too many free throws and clearly not wanted the ball in the closing minutes.

I am very interested in seeing how Jeri Welsch fares in the league. He is the first Euro I can remember that is suppose to play good defense.

4. crash5179

I might be wrong but I did not take HP's post to mean that at all. Unless I am wrong I took it to mean that the new fad Euro's still have deficincies in their games that should not be overlooked when comparing them to other players. I don't think there is any denying Pejas and Dirks impacts in the league.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes crash, that's what I meant.

The premium on good shooting is a golden rule in basketball. This issue is deeper than that, though. Is good shooting alone "what basketball is all about" and "changing this league."

Pau is awesome and incomparable due to his combination of height, shooting and defense; I can't speak to his passing yet, but he surely is showing more complete fundamentals than Nitwitz and Peja, so has Divac all his career. I'm speaking about the pure shooters who do little else except driving by single coverage that is rushing around to guard their shot. The Glenn Robinsons, Reggie Miller, Kiki, Rudy, Eddie Johnson . . . no one ever said they are changing the league or fundamentally strong in all aspects of the game. Why are Peja and Nitwitz given that label by guys like Fran Blinebury?

The larger talent pool is great, and Peja and Nitwitz are excellent one-on-one scorers with a more team attitude than say Wally, but why say the Kiki's of the world change the game over more complete players like Garnett, Duncan, Webber, Kobe, McGrady, Pierce, Kidd, Bibby and even Baron (who showed up with some stellar defense).

#5 heypartner, May 29, 2002
    Last edited: May 29, 2002
  6. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Also, I wouldn't call Hedo a "pure-shooting Euro."

He is certainly a good shooter, but I don't think he is near the shooter that Peja, Dirk, etc... are.

7. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

<text color=orange><B><I>Hidayet,</i></b></text>just a pure shooter and nothing else?
    At <I>times</i> it seems like you're saying these Euro player's can't do anything but shoot. But If I recall from a few games back, <I>Hedo</i> can drive and get the job done.

These players may not present themselves as "power dunkers" or "inside-out players" but I assure you I've seen enough minutes of them in action to be calling them, "Outside-in players."

The Kings don't exactly need a "outside-in player" as they already have those type of players in Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, and Lawrence Funderburke. Chris Webber gets enough heat from the Sacramento/World media about his play.
    <I>But I see Predrag as a perfect fit in Sacramento's lineup</i>

As for Dirk, I've seen about 25-30 games of him this past season, and hundreds more season's past, and I've seen Dirk post it up,
    get the job do, as well as having some extra time to hit some three's. All-Star's aren't named in this league for no reason. He can do just about anything <i><I>even play D.</i></I>

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

No one on the Mavericks plays even mediocre defense, and that includes Nowitzki.

9. crash5179

Najera, Griffin and Buckner are all pretty good defensive players. Finley was know as a defensive player when he first came into the league.

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I disagree.

Adrian Griffin is a very good defensive player. Can guard a 1, 2 or 3 and have seen him guard a 4 a few times this past season.

11. Nellie

Nellie Member

Don't forget Bradley.

12. Nellie

Nellie Member

I think the term "changing the game" has gotten a little carried away in this thread. Foreign players are changing the game because they are being noticed now. Sure, Dirk can't play defense (actualy goes by IRK cause he's got no D) but that doesn't change the fact that he is in the top 10 in scoring, FG%, and rebounding. For a "Euro" to break the top 10 in the NBA as quick as Dirk has having no college experience while playing most of his life against much inferior talent, I would say that is changing the game. It sounds to me like some on this thread are just upset about it.