1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are NBA Players Who Sign Commitment Contracts Overseas Traitors or "All Bets Are Off"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by McGradyPwns, Nov 20, 2011.

?

Traitors or "All Bets Are Off"?

1. They are traitors to the teams that signed them

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Everybody for themselves

105 vote(s)
    97.2%
  1. AXG

AXG Member

I see it the opposite way. If the players are willing to play overseas for less money, they should be more than happy with the owners' offer.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why are they traitors when they aren't getting paid during the lockout? You don't know the financial status of these players, if guys like AI who has a lifetime contract from Adidas and earned 100+M in salary can be flat ass broke 2 years after retiring then most of these guys are living paycheck to paycheck, not to mention guys like C-bud who are only making rookie salaries.

For guys like Deron, I suppose the motivation is the chance to stay sharp, unlike guys like Kobe or TD he's still quite young and in his prime, he'd rather play ball overseas and experience the Euro lifestyle then stay at home and get rusty.

3. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

They are not part of a union on strike and now crossing the picket lines. They are Locked Out.

4. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Whether you believe it or not, if you speak English, you are good to go in Europe.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I have more respect for NBA players that are willing to play overseas after being locked out at home.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They'll be able to operate, but it's actually pretty tiring to live somewhere with a foreign language. Your brain is trying to understand things all day long. And you have to get accustomed to all the cultural differences, the food, the city, where you go to buy food vs where to go for toothpaste, what they call a quarter-pounder with cheese, how to get your cell phone to work, how you plug in a toaster, what you can watch on TV, etc. Anyone can do it, but it's tiring and a lot of people don't like it.

7. Ashes

Ashes Member

Let them go. I could care less.

8. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Most the people speak English, and almost everything is printed in English in most places in Europe where these players would be going. I don't see how language is even remotely an issue.

9. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Have you ever had a conversation with someone that spoke English as a second language? It can prove most difficult with just one person. Now correlate that with a whole country. Also, you can't just assume that someone speaks English. You can't even do that in the U.S. You don't walk around and just hear a bunch of people speaking English to one another over there. Language is absolutely an issue for some players more than others; considering where in Europe they are playing.

10. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

The English in most places in Europe is as good or better than the English in USA.