1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Les & Rox REALLY about winning?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 13, 2014.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Les likes to win just like any owners, but his team has little chance to win a title with current players. Will not be much better next year. We will see.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

6 time??

Ohhhh Comets.

Hahahahaha.

He bought an already built champ. He's never been part of building dick that mattered in the NBA.

2 people like this.
  3. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Room for growth? We just let a 4 year player walk for a 29 year old chucker. Are room for growth got worse, our team got worse.

Bench lacks scoring and is worse on defense than last year.

SAS, OKC, LAC, Portland, Golden State are all better than us this upcoming season.

Morey is wasting a year on the now obvious pipe dream of another star. Once Bosh ****ed us the Basketball decision would have been to build a team around depth. Yeah Parsons isn't a third star, but was still a good third option.

Morey is basically said he will waste an entire season in hope we get another star. Next year outside of Rondo there is nobody.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He doesn't know how to win though. Does he realize how long it's been since this franchise accomplished anything of significance in the postseason? There are kids who are going to graduate high school during next season's playoffs who had just been born the last time the Rockets made a deep postseason run.

This is not the Chicago Cubs. The Rockets are not going to endear themselves to Houston sports fans(who are a notoriously flaky, bandwagon bunch) as some sort of lovable losers. Just look at fan attendance at Astros or Texans games over the last year. That's what awaits the Rockets if they continue to keep serving up "wait til next year" platitudes to the fanbase.

5. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

I guess you missed a team without 3 max guys, who had depth beat a team in 5 games with 3 stars. Before last season is brought up, the Spurs botched it with missed free throws and coaching moves).

We need to win now, not maybe good enough to win in 12-24 months.

6. koopa

koopa Member

His dismal defense against the blazers isnt worth the money and the fact that hes drafted in the second round because of his lack of athleticism. Hes not gonna improve a whole lot more from where he is now. Ariza will show him how to defend a jumper.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Well they won a playoff series. :)

8. cml750

cml750 Member

Next year we will be competing with the Lakers and the Knicks in free agency.

9. count_dough-ku

What p-sses me off is that privately I'll bet good money Morey and Les have punted on the next TWO seasons, not just the upcoming one. Unless they somehow land Kevin Love, there's no one from next season's crop of free agents who's coming here. I don't see Dragic returning. Aldridge will resign with Portland. Millsap is a solid player, but probably not the grand slam Morey and Les are looking for. Which means they've probably already zeroed in on Durant.

Just watch. They'll make no effort to improve this roster over the course of the upcoming season unless it involves an All-Star caliber player. And if they can't land a big name free agent between now and next summer, it'll be the same song and dance all over again in 2015(wait til next year).

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Why does is always circle back to penis reconstruction surgery? :( Why?

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Guys, you all are acting like the offseason is over. I agree we look worse right now, but i doubt we are done yet.

We struck out on Bosh. Parsons isn't worth the max.

Let's just give it another week or two to see what we finish up with before freaking out.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Bottom line: do you think Harden, Howard and Parsons with role players mixed in can win a ring?

If your answer to that is yes, you either are trolling or you didn't watch that team last year. Taking a bet between $2-7 mil a year that Parsons would be that third guy in two years is crazy. It's lunacy. We just got rid of Lin, and now you want to do what with those savings?

If your answer is no, taking on Parsons' contract would severely limit us in acquiring that third piece toward a ring. It would down right gimp us. We wouldn't stand a chance to pick up a player like Harden (a disgruntled star ready to be traded). We would have to hope to pick up a guy in the offseason on the cheap.

The Rockets would not win a ring with those three at the helm. This means, in 2016 not only would we lose Dwight, but we would have lost Chandler anyways. The Rockets did what positions the team best to acquire that third talent. It was never about money.

You link it to money because of the rumors around here that Les is cheap. If Les was cheap, why would we go after Bosh and Parsons? Why would we offer Bosh his total max? It was never about money.

13. count_dough-ku

That's because the offseason IS over. The Rockets have announced that after declining to match Parsons, they won't sign any long-term deals between now and next summer. So unless some really good players want to come here on 1 or 2-year contracts, this is the 2014-15 roster(plus whatever scrubs we can scrounge together to reach 15 active players).

Morey and Les have essentially thrown in the towel for 2014-15. Maybe with a lot of luck, they win a playoff series. But that'll be as good as it gets for Rockets fans until 2015-16. And rest assured, getting to the 2nd round is a longshot at best given that McFail is still our coach and he doesn't even have Sampson to fall back on this time.

Maybe some fans are ok with that prospect. But when Dwight signed here a year ago, I don't recall expectations being a first round flameout in his first season and then maybe another first round defeat(or possibly the lottery) in his second.

14. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

Exactly! If they can't justify paying Parsons then I can't justify paying for a product that doesn't improve but actually regresses. Do most of you know that the Rockets increased ticket prices by 20% for next year. We'll mine at least did. Went from $55 to $65 per ticket. So the Rockets want to save money at the excuse of building for future but I should pay an increase NOW????!!!! :mad:

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I do if one of the PF's develop, or we are able to aquire one - even with Parsons we were still 9m under the lux tax threshold.

It is cool if you disagree - I happen to think Parsons is still getting better, and locking him up for 3 years was not that much of a risk.

Heck, we are stuck with Trevor Ariza again, for what? 4 years now...UGH !

DD

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

One trip to the second round of the playoffs in the last 20 years or so says NO.

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Again, I'm just saying I am going to wait a bit before freaking out. You have chosen to do so now. If today's roster ends up being our season opening roster, I will agree with you.

I'm also confident that we will get someone to make up for McFail's coaching inadequacies on the defensive end.

18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Look at this LOH. (Les Only Hater)

Shame on you. :(

19. Raven

Raven Member

Morey should have traded Parsons last Summer if he wasn't absolutely sure Les wouldn't allow him to match. Better to get a minor asset than no asset at all. Wait, I forgot, Morey couldn't trade Parsons last Summer because there was a 1% chance that the Rockets might have needed him in a trade for Kevin Love.

:p

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We could have not taken a chance on a team overpaying for Parsons like Dallas did and we'd still have the guy for under a million this season. If he performs well, improves a great deal, then we offer him the max next year and lock him up for 3-5 years if he's interested. If he isn't, then we are no worse off than we are today. Actually, we're better off, because we would have had his services for another season at low cost. If Parsons didn't improve, or regressed a bit, or the market wasn't crazy, like it turned out to be this summer, we might have resigned him for less than what he got from Dallas. We could have still improved the team this off-season. Heck, we could have used Parsons as a valuable chip in a trade if Morey was convinced that he would split at the end of next season, or that he would turn out to be too expensive to keep, like Morey obviously decided today. We might have still signed Ariza as our 3 and D wing. There were many possible options to explore. Instead, Morey chose to roll the dice - snake eyes.