1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are KPJ and Jalen Green going to be efficient scorers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pr0wler, Oct 27, 2022.

1. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

They're putting up great accounting stats, but TBH I'm a bit underwhelmed so far at their lack of impact on efficient scoring, despite shooting the ball very well from 3. Both are above .400 3-PT%. Yet they both have below league average efficiency? A bit frustrating.

KPJ's shot selection is a bit sus, 30% of his shots are from the mid range, and he's not a good mid range shooter. It's his 4th season and his shot selection is very poor by 2022 standards. Jalen Green a 2nd year guy so he gets a bit of leeway, but he's a subpar mid-range shooter and doesn't get to the line much. He hasn't really made strides in those areas to start the season.

EDIT - Although I think the question is still valid, after second thought, we just need more time to evaluate. Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown were averaging 15 PPG in year 2. James Harden was nothing more than a nice 6th man in his second year. Ja Morant was an inefficient 19 PPG scorer his sophomore season.

I guess I underestimated how much time it can take for players to really become legit all-stars, or even value adds to most teams.

What's nice is they are really shooting the ball from outside, and have shown the ability to put the ball in the basket. You can see the skill, athleticism, and potential they have. The foul drawing, shot selection, and overall game awareness will continue to improve over time.

2. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Without a true PG, it’s gonna be very tough for them to reach their ceilings.

I would like to see Sengun to be used as Point Center for a whole games once then If things don’t get better from there, I will certainly close my account.

3. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Not enough ball movement, no efficiency for anyone in this team.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

KPJ is in year 4, and has been comfortably below league average in efficiency his entire career

he is shooting 40% from 3, and 88% from the line, yet his TS% is still just at 53% taking 18 shots a game

I believe Jalen Green will be an efficient scorer in the future

xaos, slothy420, Caesar and 9 others like this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Majority of the offense seems like iso. Once a coach comes in that learns how to set them up for easier shots, we’ll see a difference. Jalen more specifically. His bad shots come when he isn’t making shots and try to force.

LeDakota, pr0wler, Carpe82 and 3 others like this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

Silas thinks every young kid who can dribble and shoot threes can become Luka. No bro, Luka is unicorn you cant just give the ball to anybody. We need a ****ing point guard this team is unwatchable

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

KPJ is who he is and always has been. He's a 6th man but a detriment to Green's progress

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

yes. silas just needs to learn how to utilize them better. if not then trade green and senjoon for ranchero

LeDakota likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jalen will be fine. He's already demonstrated he can be an efficient volume scorer. KPJ needs to finish those easy layups near the rim. Its what is keeping his numbers down. If he is making those shots at an average clip with the better free throw shooting and obvious 3 point talent it should work itself out, but blaming him for everything that is wrong with the team until then is too much fun - lets keep doing that!

cmlmel77 and Dobbizzle like this.
  10. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Both of them need to improve their shot selection and increase their arsenal so that they can counter different defensive lineups they are facing.

Jalen has started to shoot the midrange last season and had pretty good efficiency. That was a step in the right direction. But he is still driving into a filled lane and taking a hard shot too much. A floater would help him out a lot and better court vision to find the open man as well.

KPJ seems to be predetermined what he wants to do, when he starts his drive. If I can spot his intention from the TV screen, the defender probably can as well from the floor. That's why he is forced into pretty difficult shots, while teammates are wide open. He is a good passer, and he finds the teammate if he already sees them at the start of the drive, so I think he can improve in that area.

Overall our offense is too iso-heavy - especially early in the shot clock. We should always look for the best shot - we can always rely on isos later in the shot clock, if we didn't manage to find a good shot somewhere else. I would only want to have isos early in the shot clock, if we have a big mismatch or if the defense is way out of position. The way we are playing it, we are forcing tough shots and those don't help their efficiency.

With Jalen I am not worried - he has also improved a ton over the course of last season, and I do believe he will improve a lot more in the next years. KPJ has been longer in the league, but I also think he will improve. Basically he just needs to stop forcing tough shots and we as a team need to work harder to get players (like KPJ) open shots. I have no idea why we are not seeing a lot more off the ball screens...

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

As expected from a team with no point guard

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Hawks 13th in DRtg
    Memphis......................................30th (the one break we have had in 5 games)
    Bucks 1st in DRtg
    Utah 7th in DRtg
    Utah 7th in DRtg

Small sample size in which not all teams have one of the toughest
    schedules. Utah is trying to win for some strange reason.

If we are going by only small sample size:
    Rockets are 20th in DRtg........ahead of
    21st Kings
    22nd Warriors
    23rd Nuggets
    24th Spurs
    25th Celtics
    26th 76ers
    27th
    28th
    29th Nets
    30th Memphis

Yes, sure, after 5 games things are set in stone....nothing gets
    better and nothing gets worse. Mentality of a 5 year old.

82 game schedule....no need to play the rest. Forget about playing those
    lesser teams on the schedule. Things tend to even out when you do.

#12 ApacheWarrior, Oct 27, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    Ancient Moabite likes this.
  13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

100% correct. Guy misses way too many reads with the ball in his hands. It doesn't feel like it is something that will get better either. Just has tunnel vision with the ball in his hands. People can cite how young he is, but when its time to score, the game is slow for him. He can get to his spots and score at will if he wants. Its just going to be detrimental to ultimate team success.

14. Rockets813

Rockets813 Member

The jury is still out on Green since he is early into his 2nd year. I think what you see with KJP is the type of player your going to get. You'll have the flashes of stardom combined with inconsistency.

15. kpdark

kpdark Member

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not as long as Silas is the coach.

DD

17. xaos

xaos Member

Both yes, but how they get there will be in different ways. At the teams current style Green has a higher chance of achieving this. As the team grows and KPJ shifts from being our primary PG he'll also increase his efficiency and grow into the player he has potential to be. For this year, it's OK to experiment and rule out possibilities through trial. Next year we won't have that luxury.

burlesk likes this.
  18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I don't want KPJ to be a scorer. That's Jalen's job. KPJ needs to mold more into a pass-first PG and scoring when needed.

AroundTheWorld and LeDakota like this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Careful there - KPJ is in year 4 but because he didn't get a lot of run early in his career he is in year 1.75 right now. That was the irony of last year's team was KPJ was still trying to get 80 games under his belt and Wood similarly hadn't played near as many games as his "years in the league" would suggest. Those "years in the league" and "statistical bump in year 3/4" generalities are relative to actual playing time.

burlesk, harold bingo and Dobbizzle like this.
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It's possible for some but generally it doesn't work like that. You don't bring an accountant into your organization and say, "actually, I need you to code and maybe do accountant work on the side when I need it". KPJ is a guard but there is a pretty big gulf between pass first mentality and score first mentality - you don't unwind probably a decade of instinctually pursuing one because now the team wants to go another direction...at least not in good organizations with good coaches and management.

The Spurs are a good example of an org that has seen success for many years by just leaning into what the players on a roster do best and tailoring the coaching and front office work to suit that. To their credit thats what makes Pop an all time great coach of real teams - if they got great 3pt shooters, they shoot a lot of 3s, if they got great mid range shooters they find ways to get the best 2pt shots possible even if other teams are avoiding those shots. This has been how the Spurs have operated for years and if you pay attention to their stats season over season you can see their playing style changes fairly frequently with new core rosters. When Timmy and Parker led the team they played one way and when it was Kawhi they did something else entirely different...when it was Alridge, Gay and Derozan, yet another style. Bad orgs try to make players something they are not out of convenience and see disappointing results perpetually as a result(Sacramento for example).

burlesk and Dobbizzle like this.