1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are conservatives anti-science?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Says you as you type on a computer and post on the internet...

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We so a little knowledge that we can manufacture devices a few atoms wide, or that that average lifespan has doubled.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Your computer from 20 years ago would be laughed at today...

thanks for proving my point

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

science can explain how r****ded your post is

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

So you seem to be saying that conservatives have a line on science 20 or 100 years from now, eh?

Your opinions, which appear to come from 50 years ago, ARE laughed at today.

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I always thought the anti-vaccination people were mostly democrats..so I looked it up - and it turns out that is correct.

Great article From USA Today - "If The GOP is anti-science, so are the Dems"

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news...emocrats-science-evolution-vaccine/50482856/1

Conservatives don't believe in:
    Evolution
    Climate change
    Embryonic Stem Cell research

Liberals don't like:
    Vaccinations
    Nuclear Power
    Genetically Modified Foods

All 6 of the above are supported by the majority of Scientists today

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

As opposed to what?

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think conservatives generally object to science being used and sometimes misused as a cudgel to extract political concessions. In so opposing politicized science, positions will generally polarize to the point where one is vulnerable to attack as anti-science.

I don't think many conservatives actually disbelieve climate change (if they did, there wouldn't be so many corporations preparing for it), but they don't like the policy recommendations from the left to combat it. From a rhetorical standpoint though, it's easier to deny the whole thing than to admit there's a problem but advocate a more moderate response.

And, I think it's interesting to see stem cell research here. I don't think anyone important has objected that embryonic stem cells were not efficacious. The argument is that their use is immoral, which isn't something science is equipped to speak to at all. Yet now science is being used as a cudgel here, saying that people who don't agree with the OP's moral position are now in opposition to science.

1 person likes this.
  9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The point of science isn't to claim to know all the answers, but its the strive to find them. Yes science can't explain everything, but it doesn't claim to.

In 100 years some of what we think we know will be invalidated or expanded upon.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I've never understood the hate for vaccines, nuclear power, and GMOs.
    GMOs especially.

11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

txtony nailed it.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nuclear power is easy to understand if you combine round-the-clock operation, fluctuating production in line with real-time pricing and the moral hazard of lax construction and maintenance with conventional energy plants and then apply those risks to the costs of meltdown and radiation.

13. Anticope

Anticope Member

Well it only took about 10 seconds before I started laughing at your post, so it would appear that science has the upper hand on you.

14. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Good post. And, please, don't let this example of the "Dems are as bad as the Reps", to dissuade you from hating the republicans -- instead, hate them both. They are both responsible for the decreasing liberty in this country, the increasing disparity of wealth, and the fact that our education standards, health care standards, infrastructure levels and many other things are worsening and lagging behind much less prosperous nations.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Embryonic Stem Cell research is a moral issue. has nothing to do with science or scientists.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

TIL that Michelle Bachmann is liberal.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Let's say the LEFT gives Science 10 billion a year
    and the RIGHT gives them 2 billion a year

Which do you think Science will support

Rocket River
    money changes everything

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What is someone who is against all of it .. . . a INDEPENDENT? LOL

Seriously. . .there is only one Science or Religion they care about it is CAPITALISM

Most of these things you can follow the money
    Those politicians for or against an item . . . follow the money flowing into his account

They make Adulter, lie and cheat but most will NOT go against sound Capitalistic practices. . . now THAT WOULD BE A SIN!!

Rocket River

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Huh? So in your mind the Left already has preset views that climate change is happening and that evolution happened and they pay scientists to confirm that.

Quite sneaky of modern leftists to convince Darwin a 150 years ago to come up with a theory just so they can pay scientists now to confirm it.

You do understand that published science is peer reviewed by an international community? Further if it's all about money where is the money from encouraging energy conservation? For that matter there isn't that much money to be made from Evolution.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I don't hate anyone. But I dislike politicians on both far ends of the spectrum. For the Record, I support all of the above except Embryonic Stem Cell research. Adult Stem cell research has my full support though.