1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Atheists just Hatas?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by heypartner, May 27, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

No, the Pilgrims came to America to be able to practice their own version of Christianity and force it on all those around them... something they could not safely do in Europe.

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Yeah. They came to the New World because the C of E was not religious enough and they were offended by all the heathens. They wanted a religious state.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Seems like tolerance has peaked and is beginning a declining trend regardless of belief or lack thereof...

[​IMG]

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How do you know synonyms aren't being used more?

5. Mr. Clutch

False.

They never tried to convert anybody, not even the Native Americans.

Is this what you're teaching in your booth?

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

If you do not like the answer, do not ask the question.
    On top of that he was not starting a disucssion. He asked the question are Atheist haters. how do you think a thread would go if I started it and the title was "Are all christians idiots?".

No they just killed them:rolleyes: (I am not saying christianity was the cause of this). I just do not think people should make the argument "what would the pilgrims do".

7. bongman

bongman Member

OMG !!! Revisionists are so funny. This is a first hand eye witness testimony from a member of the Wampanoag tribe and not what you have heard from wherever you are getting your info from.

Christians had a difficult time converting the adults as the natives said that it was the stupidest thing they ever heard. The only reason why Christianity spread throughout the natives is because they forced the kids to go to school and teach them Christianity. Indoctrination was the only way to convert the natives.

8. Mr. Clutch

Wow, you need to brush up on Pilgirm history. They ate dinner with the Native Americans. We call it Thanksgiving now. I cannot speak for what non-Pilgrim settlers did.

9. bongman

bongman Member

I sent you a link so YOU can learn more about the relationship between the natives and the pilgrims. It's not about just thanksgiving.

10. Mr. Clutch

This article says different, with quotes from that tribe: http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20101125/News/311259763

Then how is Christianity spreading through China so fast?

Is there Pilgrim violence in Sechuan we haven't head of?

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Amazing how hard it is for some to stay on topic where things like this are concerned. The good news is, I'm sure it will get worked out here in a bit via the mutant powers of this thread.

Anyone berating you or deliberately trying to make you appear or feel like less of a person, because of a difference between your religious views and theirs, is being an ass at the very least. It doesn't matter on which side of it you or they reside.

12. bongman

bongman Member

I must have missed something on the link you provided but I did not see anything mentioned about Christianity and conversion. In addition, patriot ledger is your source? It's like asking a political question from either FOX or MSNBC, the answer will be bias.

With regards to your question about China, you think that the 'word' would have spread without missionaries? Yet having a 'booth' is somehow questionable? It's ok for Christians to advertise, prosletize and convert to different parts of the country/world but people who share a different perspective shouldn't?

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

In some countries they actually would.

14. Mr. Clutch

So you want to ban missionaries? What happened to freedom of speech?

As long as they aren't violent, I don't see the problem.

And nothing's stopping you from being an atheist missionary. Competition is good.

15. fchowd0311

Do you receive your American history education from kidergarden thanksgiving events? I also remember how fun it was to make finger paintings of turkeys.

16. Mr. Clutch

In some countries Christians are murdered. In others, Mulsims are. In yet others, Hindus are.

17. fchowd0311

What would an athiest missionary be like? A giant science class room? Again... Op is b****ing about a booth and you seem to agree that his b****edness has some merit. And now you suddenly are fine with athiest missionaries. A booth to a missionary is a pretty large jump.

18. fchowd0311

Common denominator? Religion. Don't worry. Christianity had their moment in the sun with oppressive theocracies.

19. Mr. Clutch

Exactly.

Because the Pilgrims did not engage in it.

20. Mr. Clutch

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot would like to have a word with you.