1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Atheists just Hatas?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by heypartner, May 27, 2014.

1. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Turnabout is fair play. When the religious people shut up, you can ask the atheists to shut up.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I am only fine when we are just havind a conversation and I am asking about there opinion. I do not want them trying to convert me without me asking.

I have a close friend who is deeply religious, we have great discussions about his faith and my lack of faith.

A complete stranger should not bother me trying to convert me. He actually offends me by believing that he can convince me into joining him. Apperantly they think I have not thought about the subject enough, and if only one more random person tells me about it I will suddenly believe in a god. It is a insult to my intelligence.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I think of religion as Wordpress for ethics and morality.

given that I think more people should be thinking for themselves, and be more reflective, I guess you could say I am a hata, though I have nothing against the underlying spirituality and happiness Wordpress brings to people.

and sometimes I use Wordpress to get things up really quick when I don't need to overthink :)

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

A lot of people feel like religion is a willfull denial of logic, and a segregating element causing unnecessary conflicts. That it is frustrating the progress of civilization.

#24 Dubious, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  5. Orange

Orange Member

I think religious people are more annoying than atheists to be honest.

6. Classic

Classic Member

Worst in your face moment from either side I experienced was while running around on Bourbon St during Mardi Gras. Fire & Brim-Stone Baptists set up on several corners telling everyone about their sins, going to hell, and burning for eternity.

[​IMG]

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not in this thread.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's pretty close. There are obviously obnoxious extremes on both sides. So I wonder who, on average, is more annoying?

The average religious person probably doesn't really abide by their religion and hardly goes to their place of worship. Their religiosity manifests in expressions like, "Hey guys, please pray for John. He's in the hospital." or "Dear God, please let me get this promotion!"

The average atheist probably doesn't talk about their atheism except in certain settings - the internet, colleges, coffee/tea shops, and probably a few other places I can't think of.

So it is close. But if you get caught next to an atheist gathering at one of those places, it can be annoying.

9. Mr. Clutch

HeyP just wanted to have a discussion and the atheists came in guns ablazin'.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Eh theres probably a few but not really.

Something i'd be interested in is seeing how many athiest where made from bad experiences with religions. I'm against religion, i see evil in it, but i'm still semi spiritual and am not anywhere near a athiest.

I think, a lot of people turn to atheism due to some sort of bad experience or view of organized religions. God or other spirits, higher intellegence or whatever you choose to label it, can, and is to me, seperate from modern organized religions.

11. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I know right? Atheists are so annoying ... shoving your face in their beliefs all the time...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Slightly NSFW
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

if this happened on a non holiday weekend, say at a farmers market or street fair, would this thread have been made?

I don't understand being mad at the atheists for setting up a booth at Memorial Day, which is not a religious thing.

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe the booth was there for other atheists who don't know about the Boulder Atheists group and might want to join? If it was a big open event it would be an easy way for them to get foot traffic, you know.

Maybe they had to pay to have a booth as a charitable event (proceeds going to vet groups) and some local atheists wanted to support?

Maybe clean air and mountainouse terrain is really bad for heypartner's brain? Seems a little obvious over the years.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Pilgrims came to America to avoid being forced to adhere to government-mandated religion and have the freedom to believe in whatever they saw fit.

What the Pilgrims actually wanted was freedom from religious oppression. This is more in line with what the atheists want. Separation of church and state.

Oh irony.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly I avoid "Christian booths" at the fair, etc.... not a big fan of someone trying to tell me what I should or should not believe or vote for...

Having said that, I don't think it is illegal for a Christian or Atheist booth.... so fine.... just please take "No thank you" as my way of telling you to leave me alone.

16. bongman

bongman Member

Atheist (in the best AI impression): I mean, listen, were talkin about BOOTHS, not 1000 evangelical shows every Sunday, not all the Christian themed shows on tv and movies, not people knocking on your door to convert you, not golden laced Vatican or other monumental churches, we talking bout booths.

17. Mr. Clutch

Make an atheist church.

No one is stopping you.

18. bongman

bongman Member

Really? When somebody makes a big fuzz about booths, what's going to happen when a church gets built? You seem to think that atheists are so insecure that we feel that we have to build a church where we can congregate every week so we can talk about the non-believers. LOL.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

*tips fedora

20. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Well, Christians might try. It depends where the atheist 'church' would be.

See the Ground Zero Mosque for reference...