1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Archie Goodwin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Oct 24, 2016.

1. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

I hope we can find a way to pick him up. We need player makers.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  2. CertifiedTroll

The only way we can pick him up is if we make a trade. No way we drop players for him. Problem is trades take time to materialize. Would be nice, but he is not happening!

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No, Morey's trades take time to materialize. Everyone else will be making multiple trades left and right.

4. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Yes please, this kid can play

RocketsTerps likes this.
  5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

He went to high school in my hometown, North Little Rock. Dude was a phenom

RocketsTerps likes this.
  6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Career 23% 3 point shooter? No thanks.

7. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

A guy that can backup James Harden, reduce his minutes and playmake when Harden sits and do this! Yes, please...

8. CertifiedTroll

For the likes of Goodwin? That is bordering an oxymoron.

9. arjun

arjun Member

Last night, I was watching Goodwin highlights against us -- HOLY MOLY...our team was so trash last season. Defense was horrible, effort was horrible, no game plan, no communication, everyone hated being on the court together.

Fan bias, I didn't want to believe all that was going on last year, but going back and watching film...it's as clear as day how horrible our chemistry and coaching was last season.

Pen15clubber and D-rock like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

From those videos above, I do like his shot mechanics. And he has a Brandon Roy way of dribbling...but that's just one game.

I'm reading several takes that his playmaking is actually what people are criticizing the most. He's not that good of a passer, doesn't look to pass and the offense "lumbers into place when he's at the helm."

This spoiler is from sbnation's Suns fan site, and I've confirmed that take from other journalists, too. His lack of playmaking and running the offense is what got him cut, when combined with no 3pt shooting.

Does Archie Goodwin fit with the Phoenix Suns?

More times than not, watching Goodwin pass is an awkward endeavor. In my estimation, this is what will keep him holstered as a combo guards rather than becoming a mainstay at point guard - nothing about his passing chops scream "instinctual," and the offense lumbers into place when he is at the helm. The assist numbers leave a lot to be desired (3.8 per 36 minutes), and they come from a forced domain. Goodwin is best served slashing, but the next phase of his game is utilizing his slashing to create for others in addition to himself.

With that said, Goodwin is still entirely too young to dismiss a surge in passing potency, and I believe he should put all of his effort into becoming an educated passer as a point guard full-time.

Teams will be more intrigued by his skill set if he can run the offense as a main ball-handler, as his lack of shooting will not cause as many spacing nightmares with the ball in his hands. That's the problem with Goodwin as currently constructed: His best role is as the primary ball-handler running a pick-and-roll at the top of the key, but he doesn't finish well enough to scare a defense and is still churning out how to be two steps ahead when it comes to finding the open man. Unless he magically becomes a knockdown shooter over night and can spell some minutes at the two spot, it will be difficult for him to not be viewed as an awkward combo guard.​

Similar reveiw from CBSSports

In fairness to Goodwin, he scored 20-plus points eight times in 2015-16 when he had an opportunity to play. The problem, though, is that he didn't do much more than score. During the course of his three seasons with the Suns, they tried to use him at point guard, but he never became much of a distributor. When he went to the D-League, he put up big scoring numbers, but rarely got assists. His lack of progress on the defensive end was worrying, too. The physical tools are all there, but he has some developing to do if he's going to stick in the league as more than a low-efficiency gunner

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would take Goodwin over Ennis or Bobby Brown, neither have his production or even his potential.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. CertifiedTroll

I agree 1000%. I like Archie and want him on our roster, but the timing of him becoming available doesn't really permit for us to sign him.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

He seems a bit short for basketball, but since he won the Heisman twice, you know he's a good athlete. I'm willing to take a chance even if he is a bit past his prime.

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting player. Broken jumper.

Since we aren't contenders, I would love to see us not waste roster spots on old has beens. Throw Goodwin into some intensive personal training and try to realize his potential.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Cut Brewer. Any young with a single NBA skill is worth giving a shot right now, our roster is not talented and we need to take a bunch of risks on players who might turn their career into something.

All that can really come out of this season is: who will be contending on a team with James Harden next season? Better have Goodwin on the bench than Brewer.

16. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Thanks HP. IMO being that he's still only 22 years old he has room for development. In our system he can be an understudy to Harden. Pair him with a 3pt shooting defender like Pat Beverly and he'd be fine. D'Antonis system has made great use of far less talented players. Tim Thomas, Lin, Landry Fields, etc. with his length and athleticism there is no reason why Jeff Bzdelik can't turn him into a two-way player. When given regular minutes towards the end of last season Goodwin played unselfish. When playing garbage time or in the d-league he seemed to force his shot to make an impression. Kinda like Bobby Brown vs the Spurs in our last pre-season game.

17. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

In my opinion, with the growth of positionless basketball you have to have as many athletic wings as you can get. I think Goodwin and Mcdaniels would be great athletic talents that could expand there games as Rockets. Got to get rid of Brewer to make it happen.

#37 ballplayer, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    RocketsTerps and RudyTBag like this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

Unfortunately his attitude issues are not due mainly to not getting regular minutes. He ignores the coach and even brags about it and has straight up given up on games. His bff Morris even tried to choke him due to giving up.
    However he's still very young. A wake up call with him getting cut may change some things. Maybe.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Let that guy stay where he is. Wherever that is.