1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Appropriate anger 99er

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Feb 12, 2015.

1. knucklehead3321

I dont like it just as much as OP, just watched a documentary on magic and bird... those guys wanted to kill each other. When they had to shoot a commercial for the converse weapon neither didnt even want to do it at first, but this is the league now its not just howard but 90% of the players. On a plus note it is really good for recruiting guys in free agency. Would we have gotten smith without howard? Would we have got howard without parsons? Will we have a chance at durant without harden? Its a two headed monster or pick your poison if you will.....

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This is fair.

I don't like it. But it's fair.

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't give a **** if Dwight smiles a lot or goofs around with players on other teams. I do care if he continues to insist on posting up when he comes back and won't consistently run the pick and roll. I think we've reached the point where he needs to be confronted about this at the risk of poisoning his relationship with the Rockets. A healthy Dwight that plays to his strengths is enough to push us over the top. A healthy Dwight that doesn't, isn't. We can't waste Harden's prime years because of Dwight's delusions about his skills as a post player.

1 person likes this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Maybe Howard wanted to know about the situation with the old vs new owner. You catch more flies with honey. This is a non-issue for me.

5. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Isiah and Magic kiss before a game and no one bats an eye. Dwight talks with a player post game (in which he did not play) and everyone loses their minds. Come on guys, its his personality. The majority of players do the exact same thing before and after a game.

6. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

How many threads like this are we going to see? Dwight will never change, he is a happy go lucky kind of guy and no matter how much you or anyone else wants he isnt going to completely change his personality. I dont understand how not smiling after a loss will help us win games. /shrug

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Howard is just not smart enough to stop doing some unpopular somethings publicly. A smart player like Yao Ming or J. Harden would do or say something differently, but Howard just does not care. I do not think that there is anything to do with the people who is soft or not.

8. Faust

Faust Member

yeah a lot of these new athletes are professionals. one day he's your opponent, the next day your teammate. they know they are all assets. even more, many of them are friends off the court. they hang out with each other on weekends, snap chat and tweet each other, and get together in the off season. i don't mind this new culture, this new era.

9. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I think a big part of it is half of these guys have played with each other at one point or another and become friends. Gone are the days of actual rivalries or players staying with a team for longer than a single contract.

You also didn't have NBA players in the Olympics playing together before the dream team.

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I question your theory with this? Look at the Spurs "regular season" teams. Would you saw they have "fire" to win all the time, the way Pop sits out most if his starters throughout the year? Now look at their postseason teams...........yeah you need to chill out with all that. Dwight showed last year youre damn right he has that fire to win. Just cause you stayed up at all night watching the Rockets get clobbered and seeing Dwight and Deandre just talking after we lost a regular season game that will mean nothing in April, you mad cause of that?

:cool:

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

simple short answer: How do you know?

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

tinman knows, he has that fire.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All 99ers have fire

14. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Had a burrito - steak, shrimp, avocado, french fries, pico de gallo, cheese and some sour cream on the side.

15. joeson332

joeson332 Member

What did you have for beverage Brady?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Poor Tom Brady. Was 6 users away from being user 50,000 -- who Clutch personally delivered a Big Ass Gordita to

17. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Regular ice tea with lime

18. Steve_Francis_rules

Magic Johnson literally exchanged kisses with an opposing player before a Finals game. He's not exactly the best example of a guy who had a burning hatred of his opponents.

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

In the last year, I've watched Aron Baynes add a 12 footer. In the last 6 years, I watched Parker become arguably the best paint finisher in the L. This year, he's added deadly 3 point shooting toou his arsenal. Kawhi Leonard has expanded his game out to the 3 point line, and is learning to attack from the post, as well. Danny Green has worked on his game to the point that he is absolutely deadly from behind the arc. Belinelli could already shoot before he arrived, but he is giving commendable effort on D now, as well. The list goes on...

So, YES, The Spurs have demonstrated that passion for the game, that commitment to the game is exemplified by their on court individual improvement from day to day, year to year. Do they have fun on the court? Of course. But those guys HATE losing enough to let that motivate them to get better, individually and collectively; and the improvement shows on the court and in the jewelry box.

You guys think I'm just alluding to one game and I am not. This is just the latest sign that Dwight lacks the mental makeup to ever LEAD a team to a championship. Fortunately, we have Harden and the contrast between the two couldn't be any more stark. The leaps and advances in James' game are irrefutable and only came about because he challenged himself to be the best in the game. I don't think Dwight has (or maybe ever had) that kind of passion and drive in his DNA. I think he's happier living the life and, yeah, if he wins a ring, that'd be fun too. Wheeee! I want...for one season...for him to accept nothing but dominance from himself. That mentality fundamentally does not allow for jokey jokey time after getting ousted from the playoffs, repeatedly. That mentality spurns dominance and obliteration for the next 5 centers unlucky enough to have to face Dwight after KG headbutted him our Durant calling him a vag, or Kobe taunting and touting Dwight's "softness". That mentality does not allow for jokey jokey time after losing to a rival.

People bring up LeBron and his antics and, at the genesis of his career they were right. He was doing bowling ball group pantomimes during warm-ups. He was clanking midrange jimmies and being DARED to shoot a wide open three. Upon his exit from Cleveland, he buckled down, cut some of the BS, and matured as a man, as a player, and as a leader and, reaped the fruits...championship fruits. After the season, he could hang with whomever he wanted, but during the season, it became about getting better, getting his teammates better, and winning rings.

Be an example to others. Show them the way to the promised land.

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

Honest question...what has Dwight added to his basketball repertoire in the last five years?