1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Appropriate anger 99er

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Feb 12, 2015.

1. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I'm all for criticism on Dwight's actual game, but this is a bit different.
    I think it's easy to talk about players these days for not hating each other on and off the court like of the rivalries we saw in the 80s and late 90s. But how many of us actually go into work hating employees of competitor companies? Do you ignore your previous college classmates at work events? How about even when you play ball, do you refuse to shake your opponent's hand afterwards and try to actively start rivalries with dudes?

It's easy to sit here and talk because we don't have to worry about getting hit from behind while in the air from a guy who genuinely hates you and vice versa. Some of these guys have been friends since their AAU days and will have to see each other all the time at NBA events, charities, weddings, etc... Why make things awkward just because someone played better basketball than you on a specific day?

It would be one thing if hating other teams' players actually was conducive to winning, but the only current day example of DeMarcus is on a perennial loser while the past few championships have been won by Spurs, Heat, and Dallas. None of those teams strike me as guys who feel to need to hate opponents off the court.

And are we really going to act like Dwight's somehow going to obtain a low-post finesse game if he really starts acting more aggressively? A pissed off Dwight is only going to ask for MORE post touches rather than being the guy who does the dirty work.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think a coach can be a disciplinarian with Dwight anymore. Dwight got SVG fired in Orlando. We all know what happened in Los Angeles. At this point, if a coach pushes too hard, Dwight will cause problems. The Rockets have to treat Dwight with kid gloves. It's bad, we are stuck with him for another two and a half years.

It's easy to see why Dwight isn't popular with other players around the league.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

In the end how does this translate to playoff basketball in term of his performance

I don't think I've seen Howard being distracted during the playoffs by his goofiness

4. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I suppose OP feels the same way about D Wade chumming it up with Lebron, the guy who left him high and dry and just spanked his team? Or does he get a pass because of past accomplishments?

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Exactly. He's so chummy and goofy that the Rockets defense has just taken off ever since he's been injured.

6. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Yeah, I disagree with the OP. Trying to command someone to feel a certain way emotionally never works out. Try telling your wife that she's being too emotional next time you don't understand what's making her mad. It doesn't work. She'll continue to feel the same way, only now she's pissed at you. Because emotions aren't rational.

Next, because a person doesn't exhibit the kinds of reactions you want from him doesn't mean he isn't passionately fired up about winning. You don't know what's going on in his mind, so don't pretend to know. If he's having fun doing what he's paid to do and is still getting the job done when he's healthy, let him have fun.

If you were to come to work with an angry face every morning because you are all about succeeding, you'd be a pretty crappy person to work with and you probably wouldn't enjoy doing your job, as you're constantly sulking that you "didn't get that last win". But not sulking doesn't mean that you're not going to do everything you can to "get that next win".

Sure, all that anger that NBC fabricated from the 90's playoff series, all the drama that TNT tries to show you in a lead-up to a big game, it's exciting. It's entertaining. But it's not the only way to win. A player can have the same drive as an angry Kobe and still have fun like a kid in a candy store.

Stop whining about how Dwight interacts with other professionals and pay more attention to the results when he's playing healthy. Because when it counts, he's proven to respond.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It does bug me a bit but that's his personality.

Our rebounding and defense sucks without him.

8. SemisolidSnake

Dwight's not the leader of this team. Or a leader. Aside from the injuries, that's probably biggest miscalculation in getting him. We expected we were getting an experienced star who chose us because he was serious about winning a championship. We got a very expensive role player. Harden is the leader, and the source of any fire this team has.

Maybe Dwight was laughing with Jordan, "Great game, man, haha! *whispers* Yo, can you teach me how to play like that?"

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Wade has less to prove then Howard so yes past accomplishments means a lot when you have a guy like Howard who just says he's all about winning the chip but his past accomplishments differ from that. Barkley, Ewing and Malone didn't win but you'd never question there drive or their toughness. You got guys literally calling Dwight a coward, soft puss and he continues to carry himself in that fashion in terms of letting Harden shoulder too much responsibility and continuing to play weak through injury... any little issue causes him to play like a girl.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I agree with OP. But I also understand that DH just isn't that guy and that doesn't mean that he can't contribute to a winning effort in Houston. Yet and still... DH is soft, VERY soft. And I'm not a fan at all.

I tried to change my thoughts on him when he came to Houston. Tried to convince myself that it was all hype and that he's just been labeled my the media. But after watching this guy for the last season and a half I'm convinced that I was right all along.

I want to see him do well only because he's on this team. Other than that DH is a joke, IMO.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

A joke? Good lord, people. :rolleyes:

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight was strong in the playoffs last year.
    I think most players nowadays are like Dwight being chummy win or lose.

at least he's not lying about his health or doesn't show up to support his team.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This the most I've seen you in the garm in awhile.

14. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

we gonna act like dwight didn't everything he possibly could to beat the blazers.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think anyone has said that.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

That's just how I feel. I don't like the guy's persona, his body language, and the way he portrays himself on the court. He just doesn't have that warrior mentality or that dog inside of him. And you don't pay $20 million a year to a big man that lacks that.

So yeah, I think he's a joke. And his perma-plastered Chester Cheese grin backs that up. If he proves me wrong then I'll eat humble pie like there's no tomorrow. And for the sake of this team, I really hope he does.

1 person likes this.
  17. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I hope the guy gets in a rage and throws water bottles into the stands next time his team isn't winning. Maybe throw a punch at an injured opponent :rolleyes:

Why is this a conversation? We hate Howard because he doesn't show his passionate side every loss? Anyone that thinks Howard isnt competitive is an idiot

18. Zergling

Zergling Member

Yet more recency bias on this thread. I guess everyone forgot how he played in the playoffs last year? Pretty sure that can be classified as heart and fire.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If Dwight WASN'T flawed the way he is

We would NOT even have him. He would still be a Laker, or even a Magic.

Part a condition of him coming to the Rockets WAS that he wanted to have FUN and be able to be his silly self. (And the Rockets told him what we wanted to hear)

Ever since Lebron went to fun times in Miami, its changed players priorities. They dont just want to compete, they want to WIN AND be with their talented buddies.

He may not be what he said he WANTED to be or what WE want him to be. But he is the Dwightmare we thought he'd be

I for one am okay with that. Dwight is a serious playoff performer and puts his game face on when it matters. The jokes and dancing goes away in postseason where it counts more than midseason

20. Airdough

Airdough Member

I don't think Dwight is a joke but I think the best hope for the Rockets is that he comes back at an All-Star level next year and then opts out, signing with another team while somehow Harden convinces KD to come play with him.

This was always a short term rental and I am hoping that Morey pushes his chips in now to go for it this year and next and that Dwight will fight for one more big pay day.