1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple vs. Android vs. Windows Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cml750, Jul 16, 2016.

?

Which phone do you prefer?

1. Apple Phone

37 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Android Phone

73 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. Windows Phone

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Care to share how to do it? A good link to the software.

2. Poloshirtbandit

I used to have a Windows phone. I really liked it but the app support was terrible. Currently on Android. I like it, but there's things I miss from my previous phone.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Unlike Apple though, Google is pretty realistic about what kind of hardware can handle their software. Google's M.O. has never been to cheat out the customer to get more money, plenty of examples of that. At the end of the day it's all about preference, they're all great phones.

4. hlcc

hlcc Member

Of course Samsung is outselling Apple in terms of unit sold. Apple operates exclusively in the high end of smartphone & tablet markets, and Samsung operates in the entire spectrum. The majority of Samsung's sales (in terms of unit sold) are from the low-end (less than $300) and the average selling price for Samsung is $180 ($670 for Apple)

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That sounds great, I'll definitely check it out. I'm fine with 1080p. And even though I've disabled all the junk on the Samsung... Since I can't root it I can't fully do what I used to on the older Samsungs or the Nexus ones... It's at&t version... Tons of bloat/junk.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The one plus 3 has a fully unlockable bootloader and already has CM support which means just in case One Plus doesn't update on time to N, we can get it through 3rd party roms right away.

7. hlcc

hlcc Member

You should take a look at ZTE Axon 7 as well.
    Comparison with Oneplus 3

Same or similar
    * Same top of the line Snapdragon 820 SOC
    * Similar all metallic build

Pro
    + 2 year warranty that covers things like water damage, cracked screen with free shipping & replacement/loaner
    + 2560x1440 resolution display instead of 1080 on Oneplus 3. Have a bigger battery so battery life should be the same.
    + Have micro-SD slot that can be used as dual sim slot as well

Con
    - 4gb RAM instead of the 6gb in Oneplus 3

8. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

Currently still using a Nexus 5 as well as an iPhone 5s.

I definitely prefer the Android phone more. I find the phone a lot more user friendly. I don't have any trouble with the keypad as well (I guess I find the 5s' to be too tiny). The 5s looks "prettier" but not worth the price difference from the Nexus.

Android hands down and this is coming from someone whose first smartphone was an iPhone 4.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that.

My One plus One has been great, but my wife hates hers. There'san bugs though, that have popped up in every ome of their phones (different bugs in each phone), and they as a company have been slow to respond, if they did at all.

One plus 3 seems like a nice phone, but I don't trust tje company, and will not buy from them again. I'll probably go with a ZTE Axon 7.

Not trying to scare you, and I'm sorry if I did. I hope your 3 is great for you.

10. Two Sandwiches

Axon also has, off the top of my head:

Front facing speakers, with a premium HiFi audio chip
    A higher MP camera (though, tests show that may not give better photos)
    Comes with headphones (if you preorder through NewEgg, you get eveeven better headphones)
    Will be Google Daydream ready this fall

I know this is petty, but here's the thing that bothers me most about Oneplus:

Since the company first came around, they claimed that they were basically a community based company. They would listen to their customers and implement what the customers want into their phones. Well, since the beginning, their customers have been begging for two things in their phones. Two things that are extremely cheap, and have not made it in yet:

A SD expansion slot, and longer freakin charging cable. Seriously, the charging cable on their phones are like two feet long, and through four phones, they have yet to change it. I can pick up a longer one, but it doesn't charge as quickly as the OEM.

This, coupled with their poor customer service, is a big reason why I will never buy their phonphones again.

#70 Two Sandwiches, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow, that steps into the premium phone and has some really nice features (ie. the speaker setup). Verizon support, and some dev support over time and it may be my S6 replacement.

12. fchowd0311

In the real world the One Plus 3 is a better built phone with better performance and with stockish Android and no bloat. The screen is also much brighter on the One Plus 3.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AXF-J-zCKQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Two Sandwiches

I dont trust that guy's reviews, to be honest. I'm waiting for more. I've definitely seen them, though, but Oneplus has some big fanboys, and that's where the bulk of their marketing comes from. In his videos, the Oneplus always wins out.

Also, if memory serves me correct, the Axon is AMOLED, whereas the Oneplus is LCD. I've never had an AMOLED screen, but they always look nicer. Everything I've read so far shows that the Axon's screen is on par with the GS7, which I consider to be the best.

The better performance may be true, because of more RAM. I'm not as concerned about it, as I won't really notice unless I'm running a speedtest app, which I don't do - nor do I do mobile gaming. VR may be something I find myself doing more of in the future, so from that standpoint, it makes me a bit nervous. That is literally the ONLY thing Oneplus has going for it over ZTE, and at that, ZTE most likely will offer a 6 GB RAM version in the ststes.

Furthermore, until Oneplus employs better coders, their software will always be second rate, with more bugs than should be acceptable. They can pack all the hardware they want into their decides, but until they get employees that are able to adequately optimize and code for the hardware, they won't do much more than win a few benchmark tests.

Their RAM usage at the timtime of the phone's release was an absolute joke.

And with all this, if you check back in the Smart Phones 2014 thread, you'll see I was one of their biggest fanboys. My Oneplus One is my daily driver, and for the most part, it's fine, aside from a few annoying bugs I've had from nearly day one.

Overpromise and Overhype, but Underdeliver.

#73 Two Sandwiches, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  14. xhungersx

xhungersx Member

had the one plus (worked great) then one plus 2 (buggy and terrible customer service) staying away from their future products

15. fchowd0311

The One Plus 3 is amoled. You should watch the reviews. They are really praising the device and I will always trust an Android device that is closer to stock Android when it comes to optimizations and bugs. The One Plus 3 is the best overall handset at the 400 dollar price point. That is pretty much the general conclusion of the One Plus 3.

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

ZTE uses a nearly stock build as well. I do like some of the custom options of Oxygen OS though. Nonetheless, this isn't like comparing a stock build to something like old school Touchwiz. ZTE has always stayed very close to stock.

With that said, the One Plus 3 has had issues that have to be acknowledged. While their screen is AMOLED, their pixel arrangement is a little off. Also, the One Plus 3 is 1080p while the ZTE Axon 7 is quad-hd. One Plus also had all kinds of issues with memory management and throttling (despite having 6GB of RAM).

The ZTE Axon 7 is also $400 and offers all of the same specs with a better display and front firing stereo speakers. The only thing I dont know about is the camera on the Axon 7. But assuming that is equal to the One Plus 3 camera, I think ZTE wins this one. The screen difference and difference in speaker quality alone make this a little one sided in favor of ZTE.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Windows doesn't have the apps, making them dead last.

Iphones are fragile, most owners seem to break the screen eventually (my wife's did inside an otterbox from a less than 2 foot fall).

Android leads the way because they have choice.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think I'm the only person I know who has never broken the screen on an iPhone or Android touchscreen (knocks on wood)... But I think saying that "most owners seem to break the screen eventually" holds true for all users of large screen phones.

iPhones and top tier Androids usually have superior build quality. Describing them as fragile is a stretch.

19. fchowd0311

According to that test, the One Plus is 200 nits brighter at max brightness and to me that's more important than 2k resolution. Also, the One Plus's display has no gap between the glass so the display looks like its floating so to me the One Plus has the better display. Also the whites looked whiter on the one plus in the comparison video.

The One Plus looks and feels better built. Also it's going to be smoother software experience precisely because you are combining an 820 chipset with 1080p. Battery life is going to benefit also.

Speaking of battery life, One Plus's fast charging system is the best yet with a claimed 0-60% in 30 minutes and it can do it while being used intensively such as playing a demanding game because of the larger power brick they supply that has added heat pipping to dissipate the excess heat generated from the higher amperage charging.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Well we can agree to disagree on this then. I appreciate the extra brightness but I can't agree that One Plus's screen is better. Now, 1080p is just fine and isn't a major downgrade but its still point worth noting.

I haven't seen a ZTE Axon in person so I can't judge how it feels or how its built so I can't really comment on that point. As for battery, the One Plus 3 has been reasonable in this department but its not like the One Plus 1 which was fantastic at the time for battery. Also while you're correct on quick charging, ZTE has quick charge 3.0 so while One Plus will probably be ahead, its not like its a dramatic difference.

And most importantly to me, the audio difference is night and day. ZTE has front facing dolby audio stereo speakers versus the side mounted speakers on the One Plus One.

Each phone has qualities that are pluses and ultimately both phones are good buys. For me, I think ZTE built a better package but its not like there's a substantial difference between the two. Then again, ZTE's phone isn't out yet so who knows, maybe they'll have system performance problems too.