1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple vs. Android vs. Windows Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cml750, Jul 16, 2016.

?

Which phone do you prefer?

1. Apple Phone

37 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Android Phone

73 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. Windows Phone

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. cml750

cml750 Member

While the poll has only been up less than 24 hours, I expected more Apple people. I does not bother me that Android is in the lead as I prefer Android but it does shock me. Right now it stands 2 to 1 android. As I said before I expected it to be close and actually expected slightly more Apple users. This is why I posted the poll. Very interesting. I wonder how this poll would have gone if Steve Jobs was still in charge of Apple?

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It actually played out the way I thought it would. I think it has more to do with the the demographic of this forum than it does anything else. Additionally, Android is the most widely used platform and iPhone is the highest selling phone. So more people use Adroid then will likely ever use iOS.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To be honest, surprised it is so close.

So many passionate apple people hanging on to their nostalgic ideals?

It has nothing to do with Jobs passing away, it has far more to do with the supremacy of google. Apple 'got in' first with the concept and marketed it well. Since then everyone else picked up the ball, ran with it, and passed them by.

Of course windows sux - no idea why they bothered...

Statswise: last year Apple had some 13.9% of the market share; Windows 2.6%; Blackberry 0.3% (lol - really? people still use these things?) and Android took all comers with 82.8%

I'm more surprised there is a conversation about which people prefer. Would have thought it fairly obvious?? Basically Android, those loyal to the iPhone thing stick with it (dwindling market share over the last 10 years - they give up eventually); and niche users grab windows phones or blackberries (possibly they buy without knowing what sort of OS they are getting?)

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Samsung outselles Apple in the phone department. 21.4% market share compared to 13.9%...

Difference is that Samsung come at it with an abundance of models, so yes, of a particular model Apple is selling more, but they haven't been the leading phone retailer for long long long time.

Incidentally, Samsung is down from 30+% market share with Huawei eating up their customers

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Nexus 5 (released 2013) won't be getting Android N. The iPhone 5 (released 2012) will be getting iOS10. Whatever Nexus device you half, expect Google to drop support for it sooner rather than later.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You're correct. I actually read an article about this today and misunderstood. Apple makes more revenue but Samsung sells more.

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Still using my nexus 5 from OCT 2013. It still runs great and far from obselete, it still gets updated OS earlier than most android phones.

I used an iphone 6 for work for a half a year and did enjoy the quality of the build and OS. However there are too many restrictions to it. Not only could I not torrent on my phone or watch video not converted or in mp4 format, it was also a pain streaming live sports from it (most sites that stream live are either full website or android).

Further complicating matters is all the restrictions involving apps, such as inability to change the iPhone's default look and feel, take control of internet downloads or install apps other than those available from the iOS App Store.

The over restrictions on downloading & watching video on IOS is sooo much more difficult than android.

8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I don;t like how apple is nixing audio jacks.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, and run like ****... Lol, yeah it'll get the update and make you wish you had a new phone. Apple/Android... After about 2 years you'll need a new phone anyway. Apple might put iOS on its old hardware, but it doesn't run like the new phone, and in some cases you might be better not updating the OS.

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, Nexus and few others are nice for having flexibility and not having to wait on the carrier to release updates.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Apple forces you to upgrade until your device becomes unusable. My son upgraded his ipad mini and it's horrible now. You can't even surf with it. Unfortunately there is no way to downrev your OS.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I still think this move is more like.. "yes, you have the new OS, but... With limited features!! If you upgrade now to the iphone 7 it'll be more snappy and have the stupid touch ****!!". Don't get me wrong Apple is fine but there's a reason manufacturer's drop support. Sure on the nexus you could go to non official loads etc, but eventually it's time to move on. Apple might be better off dropping it every 2-3 years rather than holding the platform back.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, this, exactly!! You beat me to my post.

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yeah I don't think there's any girl/woman without an iPhone and a mac.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

It's actually not hard to downrev the OS and there are readily available older iOS editions available online. You cannot do it "through iTunes or via the Genius bar" but it is very possible.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Just purchased a One Plus 3. Heard enough reviews for me to purchase this instead of wasting unnecessary money on a $700+ Samsung or Apple device.

#56 fchowd0311, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah I want to try them next, I've been going between samsung and different iterations of nexus over the last few years. Currently on a Note 5.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

From all the head to head tests, the One Plus 3 is generally the fastest and smoothest device on the market and it doesn't have a premium price. The screen is 1080P but that only matters for VR which I'm not really interested in at the moment. It also doesn't have bloatware, has a really fast fingerprint scanner and the glass front has a premium curved edge to it that reminds me of the premium feel of the iphone 6.

19. cml750

cml750 Member

Good points!

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Globally I think Android has over 80% and iOS is ~15%. But in the USA, isn't it close to 50/50? I figured the poll would be about even here.