1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple September Event, who is keeping up?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Sep 9, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

When did I say enjoying apple products was pansyish? About 5 posts up I called the original iPhone a thing of beauty. What I don't like is that apple throughout the event acted like they were inventing this new tech, and that fanboys assume that to be true.

Apple used to be the biggest innovator on the scene. Let's be honest, Android is disgustingly ugly and outside of a Lumia I would only consider buying an iPhone. The same goes with the MBA, heck I widdled my laptop choices down to the SP3 and MBA! I went with the surface because of the better display and note taking, but I'm sure I would have been happy with either.

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Any tl;dr updates? Maybe with video recap. Because this stuff is boring as all get out for me. I mean, where is my hoverboard? It's 2015, if it's good enough for Marty McFly Jr. it's good enough for me.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

I think im leaning toward the next macbook air or pro retina (since they say its better than the air)

6. Major

Major Member

All companies act like huge innovators when they release new products. :confused:

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Forget about the fanboy angle for a second (what else would you expect from fans of the company?)... but do you really have a problem with Apple expanding on existing technology and making it more user friendly/widespread and in many cases just flat-out better than what was being done previously?

That's what nearly every company in America who has a "great product" ends up doing.

Like Major said above... people who dislike Apple seem to have a much bigger problem with them vs. those who get a lot of use out of Apple products having dislike towards "other" users (hell, most "apple" people I interact with are well versed in the other operating systems and other phones... they just prefer Apple).

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

It'll be interesting to see if they can make a dent in an area where Wacom has been dominant. Apple may need to add some more features to the pencil and make it more readily available to other platforms before it can overtake them.

9. HR Dept

I don't see that happening.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gN-MeB-S8Kw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

saw these posted on another forum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i'm digging the preview stuff for multiple levels of pressure. will be fun to see what developers do with it in the future.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't see why someone can't use and enjoy PC's as well as use and enjoy Apple products. I know I'm not the only person doing just that. I have a PC gaming rig I use at the desk in my study, and we have iPhones, iPods (bought the iPods a long time ago and usually just use the iPhone for the same purpose), and an iPad that we use a hell of a lot while traveling. So why does there have to be such "conflict" when Apple has one of these "events?" As Major pointed out, all companies toot their own horns when they have a new product release.

My BIG complaint about Apple? Their lineup of laptops. My significant other needs a new laptop for consulting work and was seriously interested in getting an Apple product. The reason we won't get one? None of the 13" models have a discrete graphics card for gaming and only one of the 15" models has a discrete graphics card and costs $2500 bucks, with only 1 graphics card offered, a Radeon. That's absurd. We've purchased numerous PC laptops for our kids over the years and there has always been a host of different graphics cards offered from a wide array of manufacturers to chose from. Heck, Apple used to have a better offering of discrete cards with their laptops, if memory serves. While my S.O. doesn't play graphics intensive games much, I do, and don't want to be "forced' to bring 2 laptops on a trip, an Apple and a PC, so when she is passed out late at night and this night owl is still up and wanting to play some Starcraft II, I can.

Has Apple forgotten that many of us care about such things?

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

Really its less about hardware than it is for its Operating system. Windows pcs easily get viruses and malware, slowing the computer down over time. Apple is way more userfriendly that way that you never have to deal with it.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

FIFY

The whole virus aspect is becoming less relevant over time. There was time when this was a serious issue, but browsers and mail servers are doing more and more to prevent this. I cant remember the last time i had a virus. I get some mild malware from time to time, but thats from installing hidden crap inside program installers. i have gotten a couple nasty root kits over the last few years.

My biggest frustration with Apple is their walled garden approach. No company can make the best product of everything. I dont like to be cornered into a single ecosystem, especially paying a premium for it.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Hell, I can hardly comprehend what Iam saying. Who can keep up?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Apple has only one model in the size we are interested in that fits our needs, and it is $2500 bucks. That's what I am interested in. I know all about the OS.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is totally wrong and inaccurate.

Viruses and worms are becoming more dangerous and common.

Macs still have that feeling of "no viruses" but it's more because it's a smaller market rather than how "safely designed it is". There are already a few proof of concepts out there and the snowden leaks have confirmed that no os can't be cracked out of the box with the tools they have.

A lot can be avoided by not going to questionable websites, downloading weird files and by turning off flash and java, but that doesn't mean it's becoming less of a threat. It just means the business behind how viruses act has changed and maybe not getting detected is more of the focus.

18. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

This.

The idea that Apple OS products are more secure than Windows products is not true at all. It's all about market share and who gives the virus makers more targets to target. That means that most malware will be targeted towards Windows, as Windows owns 90% of the market. If the numbers were to switch to Apple at 90%, Apple's OS would be the biggest target and it would seem like Windows was more secure. And anyway, it's really the skill of the user that is the best defense against malware.

Look at the iOS. It's has almost no security at all. That's why I would never even consider doing banking or anything like that through my iPhone (or any phone or computer, for that matter).

19. HR Dept

Seriously?

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Verizon published a security paper, and one of its findings is that ios is the mobile platform to choose if you're worried about security.

Just don't jailbreak it.

Android is garbage when it comes to security, root or no root.