1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple September Event, who is keeping up?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. the cohesiveness between devices is key.

There may be other superior/more powerful products out there for each individual platform... but with all the 3rd party PC makers and software developers, there will always fail to be a seamless transition on those.

I like sending/recieivng text messages on the macbook... and having them all sync up with the phone. I like taking a picture on the phone and having it right there on the laptop for editing/album making without having to sync. I like it when I start an e-mail on the iPad, I can instantly transfer it over to the laptop without having to "email it to myself".

Of course, this was all after I got another spontaneous blue screen of death-like issue with a PC laptop that came out of nowhere (damn system updates always start to gum up the works)... so the macbook has really made me appreciate the other devices more.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

So why are people enamored about the new iphone? Is it really that huge of an upgrade?

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's a neat feature, but for $950 I can get a tablet that runs a real OS. The contextual menus are also nice, but they aren't real game changers. Your iPad Pro has roughly the same power and less battery life than the Surface RT.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The updated camera and added 3D Touch aren't total game changers, but I would definitely consider them a noticeable upgrade.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

I know what you mean, I mean think about it, what if you had an app that you could run on your phone, your PC, your TV and your tablet? What if accessories all feed together into one and another. Welcome to Windows 10. Apple teases Universal Apps*, MS is actually 90% of the way there.

That doesn't take away from what apple is doing, it's great, but damn don't pretend like you invented Living Images, 4k video, and Universal Apps* when other platforms have been doing the same thing for quite some time now.

*Universal as long as it runs iOS

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

It's Apple's MO to copy other stuff and then claim people are stealing it from them (see the original OS that XEROX created).

Apple has some great products (and original products), but the hype is just over the top.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

That's the thing, it isn't an insult to the iPad Pro to call it a Surface RT. It goes to show MS was on the right track, but the execution was flawed. It's just, if you don't buy into the narrative that Apple is the first to do everything, you are a fanboy and hater. You know who else was working on 3D touch technology for phones? Wait for it, wait for it, MS. They cancelled that project a year ago because devs didn't like it.

It doesn't take away from how good the products are, it takes away from how innovative they are.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

So whats everyones opinion about the ipad pro? Might be something i need...

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Only a fool would ever suggest this. ie Apple didn't start putting phones out with a decent sized screen until last year. Way behind others.

There are countless other examples as well. I don't think anyone argues that point.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Huh? Didn't you just do what most people complain about apple doing (when they take a product that's already been around and try to make it better).

The seamless transition/communication between all iOS devices continues to exceed the PC market. Sure, Microsoft may eventually be able to get everything to sync up just as well (provided they ensure all the 3rd party manufacturers and software developers keep up with things)... but they would not be the first company to provide that.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Honest question, did they copy the iPod or iPhone from somebody?

I'd say even if they did... those products revolutionized and advanced the entire industry to another level.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

I never said they were the first to do it, I said they did it as well. They are not on an island. Also, remember MS doesn't have to get 3rd parties involved either, they make their phones and tablets now too. They write the OS and make the hardware too. Yes, they aren't the first to do this, but I was never claiming they were either. Also, what I was stating is that they are closer to universality than apple is. Windows 10 mobile is the same as Windows 10 desktop and Windows 10 on the Xbox. That's all I was stating.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

The iPod was the next logical step in the MP3 player family, albeit a better step forward.

However, when the iPhone came out it was like nothing else. It blew away everything MS and Palm were offering. The iPhone in it's original form was a thing of beauty.

14. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Note 5>new monster Iphone

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

My iPad Air is probably smaller than your note. LOL.

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

17. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Apple is playing catch up in that regard, Android(gmail/hangouts/chromecast) and Windows 8/10 are there already. The only thing i havent tried is starting an email on phone and it appearing on PC before i send.

I like what apple is doing, but as a PC guy I cant justify not being able to do my own upgrades. My brother has moved to apple everything and loves it, although he doesnt mod\tinker as much as I do. For the average user Apple is making things easy and its working.

The only thing I have to use Apple for is iTunes to subscribe to podcasts. I know there are ways around it, but I just have iTunes auto download and IFFT copy to a directory that is shared by my plex server and its available anywhere.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Why are we still arguing about the validity of the iphone? 50% marketshare in the US alone should show people like these devices.

Buy it if you want or need one. Or else go buy something else. Every fking september this argument starts again. No one cares. People who want an iphone will buy one. Comparing it to existing windows or android phones are not going to change the mind of the masses.

Every iteration of the iPhone will have 3 or 4 features that are worth upgrading to especially if you are a couple of upgrades behind. Someone on 5, 5s will benefit a lot from the new phones.

New camera, 3d touch, new touch ID, new A9 processor, and new wireless chips.

19. cebu

cebu Member

Ashley Madison app free.

20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i agree, but fanboy talk is fun sometimes. :)

can understand apple folks not wanting to deal with this... maybe nsfw...

[​IMG]

considered the iphone 6 the night it was released, but a website glitch made me say eff it. i don't regret my decision, but appreciate apple's slow, steady growth without carrier and oem bastardization.