1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple September 2016 Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Sep 7, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If you preordered with Verizon they were giving $650 for the trade in of a 6 or 6s. Which in many cases would make a new 7 practically free.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess it depends on the plan and iPhone model but seems like you could actually end up paying more for the phone than you would if you bought it outright prepaid to start out. I dunno...my month-to-month on Cricket Wireless is only $35 a month. I'll be damned if I'm going back to paying $70+ a month for cell phone service on a two year...or whatever the going rate is. The trade-in deal obviously helps if you have the previous model.

#222 Surfguy, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  3. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal or something about two or three weeks ago that said Apple knew supply was going to be low since they were having issues with suppliers. I think it might have been faulty parts. Google can answer that but I'm too lazy.

4. hlcc

hlcc Member

Still no sim-free option on the Apple website.

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

IT's still practically free with t-mobile. Verizon doesn't have a family plan as cheap as the older t-mobile plans so that's why we stuck with t-mobile.

6. Surfguy

Wait...what? I thought you could buy it outright from Apple at full price and just put your own sim in it? Yea...I don't understand the "pick a carrier" bs. I guess that means it ships with a sim in it...but can't you just take it out and put your own in?

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

will likely get some advice from you next year when the 10 is released next year... if they go bananas as rumors suggest. running gapps on ios can't be too bad. pixel xl this year though.

8. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Sometimes I still can't believe I went from hardcore android fan to iOS user lol.

Gapps on iOS work great and sometimes we even get updates before you guys do.

Yo, does the pixel have AT&T LTE band 30 supper?

9. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

yeah i was confused with that as well...i posted on an apple forum to be sure..asked if it comes unlocked if you paid the full price they said yeah...so i would think that would be the case.

10. Surfguy

Does anyone have the plus size iPhone? Do you wish you had the smaller version as you only need one hand to operate? Or, does the added real estate make it all worth it? I'm torn because my eyesight isn't great when holding the phone up close but it's okay. Of course, that's what reading glasses are for. But, I have the 5s currently and I think the regular 6 and 7 are a little bigger? I'm torn.

11. hlcc

hlcc Member

If you pay the full price the phone is unlocked, but like you said you need to "pick a carrier" and you have to enter the account info for which ever carrier you picked in order to buy one. Since I'm currently using Cricket, I can't even order one currently.

12. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have the +. It takes some getting used to (pockets, one-handed use), but I feel it's worth it. I'd never go back to a smaller screen at this point. Even if I went away from Apple, I'd go galaxy note for the screen size.

13. Surfguy

Can you make that account info up? So, we can't buy one anywhere unless we have a carrier account? Or, just from the Apple website?

14. hlcc

hlcc Member

Can't make the info up, it goes through the carrier's to verify upgrade eligibility & phone #. Apple usually have a "sim-free" option (take a look at iPhone 6S on the Apple Store website), but that's usually released a bit later than the normal launch.

15. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

I was an early adopter of the plus size phone, and I wouldnt have it any other way. The OS itself also has a display zoom mode, where all buttons, text are bigger for those with troubled sight.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203073

That being said, i LOVE my loopy case combined with the plus. It makes the phone easier to use, espcially for me since i have smaller hands. Plus its just a really great case for me.

http://www.loopycases.com/

16. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Same with AT&T except no pre-order necessary and open to existing customers.

Traded in my 6, and they'll apply a monthly credit for 24 months. I'm likely going to get the 8 so I'll pay off the remaining monthly payments in order to upgrade and keep my 7

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Walked into the AT&T store and traded in my 6S for a new 7. It will be worth it in the long run.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

I have a 6+.
    Does the trade in offer apply for me if i want the 7+? or is it only for the 7?

My phone is paid off and I don't see any reason to pay full price for a new phone right now but the credit seems interesting

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I'd definitely check, I'm not sure on price difference of + and trade in etc (or if promo works) but even if it's like $100 difference or something probably would be a good move if applicable. Then could easily dump again next year if similar deal (if significant change in iphone as rumored).

Obviously if no deals then def wouldn't bother.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HxXbrnJ6l4A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>