1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple September 2016 Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Did Apple misjudge demand or they just can't make them fast enough from when it became finalized?

It almost seems like it would be better to wait to release to where you have enough supply so you don't piss off all the people who can't get one. Some of those people may jump ship.

This always seems to happen but I'm not sure if it happened with the 6 or not. I would assume it did but that was the weakest release so far wasn't it?

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I don't think they misjudged, or that they can't make them fast enough. I think they know that between this being kind of an incremental release and the removal of the headphone jack, they may be keeping supply artificially low. If there is *some* complaining about unavailability out of the gate, the perception is going to be that demand is high... even if the cause is actually low supply. That could potentially even lead some sheeple to be like "well if it's sold out everywhere, it must be good, so now I want one."

3. Surfguy

I dunno...where certain models sell out 35 minutes into pre-sale before they start moving out shipping dates...that seems to indicate a misjudge imo, e.g. jet black iPhone 7 Plus. I was reading some news articles after my post that said they probably did misjudge demand. But, it's all speculation.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Negative. Supply is low, but I doubt it's artificially low. I'd place my bet on unexpected production and supply chain complications.

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I think the promotion that all the carriers are offering for the 6 trade in for a 7 is a huge factor into why the 7 is selling so fast. Every 6 owner I know is trading in their phone. Those who owed money are paying it off to get the 7. Folks are looking for used 6's to trade in, and even those who have lived with cracked screens are getting them fixed just to trade them in.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Aren't they only offering $250 for the trade-in? Why on earth would someone ever do that? I'm probably mistaken...

I know I'm the only dumb*** in this thread, but no iPhone 7 Plus available for walk-ins in Houston. I assume across the nation. They did have 7's available though -- I didn't ask what colors, assume no jet black.

The Verizon lady did tell me there is an issue with the jet blacks -- they are scratching very easily and their in-store demo one was already scratched.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You know a lot of people with a specific iPhone.

8. BiGGieStuFF

They are giving you the regular trade-in for the iphone which is like 169 roughly. They are taking that amount off the iphone 7 and then splitting the rest of the payments into a 2 year device plan and charging you monthly for it BUT they apply a bill credit in the same amount so you don't pay anything for the upgrade except the taxes on the phone and an upgrade fee which you can get waived by CS if you're nice to them.

The catch is you're stuck with your carrier for 2 years. It's a variation of the 2 year contract but if you already have a cheap plan, it works out okay. Apparently it's become so popular on T-mobile, they are requiring you switch over to the T-mobile ONE plan as a requirement. That will probably decrease the number of folks upgrading.

9. BiGGieStuFF

women. Their addiction to Apple is just incomprehensible.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

So you're getting roughly $200-250 for trading in your iPhone 6? Why wouldn't you just sell it on CL or eBay for $400-500?

11. BiGGieStuFF

Iphone 6 are only going for 300ish and that's wit the inflation these promotions have caused. Plus you still have to fork out an additional 300-400 to get the 7.

With the promotion, over the span of 2 years you're only paying the taxes on the phone to upgrade which is about 53 bucks for the 7. So it's technically a straight up trade with acceptable caveats

12. Surfguy

Did everyone get their new iPhone? How is it?

I got the pink one. It's all they had left. ;)

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There was a line outside the AT&T store near my house. Two hours before it opened. SMH. Apple has so many people under their influence.

15. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Here is the launch from Denmark.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="FMZyrLT"><a href="//imgur.com/FMZyrLT">iPhone 7 launch in Denmark</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Surfguy

I wonder what Donald Trump has to say about the Denmark iPhone 7 launch?

"Those people in line are losers. I would have waited until they were already open before going there. I knew it wasn't going to be HUGE. Let me tell you...Steve Jobs is rolling around in his grave at the sight of this."

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I was able to walk into an AT&T store this morning and picked up a regular 7 32gb matte black. No line or anything.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Do these still break if you drop them?

Will it bend?

19. Surfguy

From what I was reading, they said it won't bend like the 6 but you could unseal the screen if you accidentally sit on it and the phone would then possibly lose it's waterproofing ability.

It's always something! Sheesh!

20. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Feels almost like they are creating a buzz by limiting the amount they put out. I does not feel nearly as crazy for this launch as previous.