1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple plans 2GB iPod Shuffle, cuts price on 1GB player ($49)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9874170-1.html

Apple plans 2GB iPod Shuffle, cuts price on 1GB player

Apple on Tuesday shuffled (har, har) its lineup of matchbook-size digital music players, announcing a new iPod Shuffle with double the storage space and slashing the price of its 1GB models to $49.

Apple dropped the price of its 1GB iPod Shuffle to $49 and said it'll start selling 2GB models for $69 later this month.
    (Credit: Apple)

The 2GB version of the screenless flash memory-based player will cost $69 and be available for sale later this month, Apple said in a statement. That's less than the previous price for a new 1GB model, at $79. (Apple has, however, been selling refurbished 1GB Shuffles for $49 in recent months.)

Both models, which sport a built-in clip, are slated to come in five colors: silver, blue, green, purple, and red--for the (Product) Red lineup, a corporate charity movement that donates a portion of sales from designated products to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.

Apple released the second generation of the teensy gadget, which weighs half an ounce and measures half a cubic inch in volume, in November 2006. It has refreshed the Shuffle's colors on a few occasions since then.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I have the 1gb shuffle and I love it. 250 songs is more than enough for me. I pretty much only use it for work outs and flights...neither of which is going to outlast that much music. That said, 2gb would be nice, too...especially at that price.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah but you can get 1 GB flash players for a lot cheaper and more features than the iPod shuffle. I still wouldn't buy one.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wasn't the 1GB shuffle for $49 reconditioned? Are they announcing it's $49 new?

5. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

yea i saw a 1gb samsung flash player for 29.99 at Frys and it has FM radio and it doubles as a thumbdrive. pretty sweet deal.

6. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

I have a 2GB Sansa Clip, it has a screen and an FM radio, got it for $59 and love it.

7. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

anyone know if the 1 gb shuffle works with those nike shoes? I have a creative zen stone and love it. I kinda want to try the shoe thing though...

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Can anyone explain why portable devices (where the main feature is not radio) include FM radio but not AM radio? I would rather listen to sports talk radio over most FM music stations. Some technical reason I assume?

9. bladeage

I didn't even know people still listened to the radio, much less talk radio.

10. rage

rage Member

I've been trying to convince my 12 yr old that an Ipod is not worth the money and I am losing the battle. Which flash player has more features than the Ipod? Does it have the graphic's interface?

11. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

poor sound quality. no thanks.

12. bladeage

Just get the Ipod, you aren't going to convince a 12 year old to choose a Sansa or Creative Zen over an Ipod.

13. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I don't listen to the radio for music, just sports radio while I drive (or MP3's, of course). The only MP3 player I have now is my PSP and it's a bit cumbersome to take in and out of my car.

14. Lil Pun

I don't think so but I am unsure. I think the receiver that comes with that kit is made specifically for iPods.

15. Lil Pun

What iPod are they wanting?

16. bladeage

The whole point of it working with the Nikes is to see your progress on the Ipod screen. Considering there is none on the shuffle, it would be kinda pointless to just have some adapter attached to the shuffle. Which is also the size of the shuffle itself.

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

The FM radio is nice to have because gyms these days have their TV's audio set to the FM transmitter. So while you're working out you can choose to listen to your music or switch the radio station to the pre-set the gym has for the TV and listen into whatever is in. Nice when you want to work out and watch and listen to the rockets game at the same time.

18. bladeage

ah, good point, I didn't even think of that.

19. Lil Pun

Wow, I didn't know that. Coolz!

20. rage

rage Member

She is open to ideas. She was promised a reward for getting all A's last year. I am trying to teach her even if she earned it, she should still use it well.