1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Apple] iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Yes and yes... But it depends on the year of your chipset. Mine was 2008. You might be better served using a VMware PC machine and installing iTunes that way. ITunes is a virus if you ask me, even when I had an iPhone I hated it.

1 person likes this.
  2. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I think I've read that any Macbook with Intel processors and at least 2GB of RAM can run Snow Leopard. Anyone got any input on this?

1 person likes this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

black macbooks can run up to OS X Lion

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook

If its a 2006 chipset it can't... But for what he wants to do its good enough. Wikipedia folks, its awesome.

5. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Nah, we'll just depend on someone else to look up the information on Wikipedia.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I just needed verification, preferably from someone who's experienced this before. It's a 2008 chipset so it should be fine. Well I'm assuming since it was bought in 2008.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

If it's a 2008 then you're definitely OK. The 2008's are actually really good, I still sparingly use mine (the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore, and knockoff batteries not from Apple haven't worked). If it was bought in 2008 it could be a 2007. The way to test this is to click the apple icon, then click about this mac, then more info, then it should say what year it is. You can also check the system report and it should tell you the macbook model, then use the wikipedia link above and you can see your macbook year chipset. Good luck sir.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

biometrics already hacked. lol

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yep.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_6JnKT6ybj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't see the big deal. Is that someone else's skin, wax, plastic, rubber, or what?!?!? :confused:

11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Eh, I'd be more impressed with a hack of the 'enclave' on the A7 chip (which will probably happen at some point) to get to the data. Needing the fingerprint for the fingerprint sensor feels like needing the pin for the pin input. I mean if someone is going to this process:

they must really want your ****.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

This is just the first hack. Remember the first jailbreak involved soldering and mod chips, and now it's a simple software download. In time, hacking the fingerprint scanner will be easier and easier. If anything it shows a flaw in our logic that these scanners are completely secure. David Pogue was gushing over the iPhone and its new security, this video shows us that it is as secure if not a little less than having a password on your phone.

13. ptR91

ptR91 Member

I got the 5s. So I have 100% battery when I sleep, then when I wake up, it's own to like 88-90%. Why?

14. Major

Major Member

The fingerprint scanner does it's job: makes it easier to lock and protect your phone without using a code. Lots of people don't like using a code but would happily use this, so it increases the number of people locking their phones. And it is plenty of protection for a lost phone, or even your average stolen phone.

If someone is targeting you specifically and wants to go through a lot of work, then sure, it's not going to protect you. But I think if people were looking for military-grade fingerprint protection (which also get hacked) on a $600 consumer phone, their expectations were out of whack.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

In anticipation of my 5s arriving, I'm trying to backup my contacts via iCloud but it's telling me I don't have enough space. Shouldn't 5g's be more than enough space for just my contacts? I have everything besides my contacts turned off.

Also, my wife's pictures aren't rotating when she turns her phone to the side. Any idea how to fix that? In settings, perhaps?

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Does she have her screen locked do it doesn't go into landscape mode?

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

ptR91, did you leave applications open? Might be refreshing during your sleep. There's an option to not have them auto-refresh.
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/08/28/not-enough-icloud-storage-iphone-cannot-be-backed-up/

Read this one. I think you're backing up lots of more things, not just contacts. Your pictures' stream is also there and counts towards your storage total.
    Control center top right, Portrait Orientation lock. :eek: Unlock.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Because it keeps pinging the mother ship. Seriously, just put it in airplane mode at night and the battery will stay fresh.

19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

exactly it's a phone. people just want to find something to diss the phone. if it's so important, don't put it in your phone.