1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple Computer v. Apple Records

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CBrownFanClub, Sep 13, 2004.

1. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm..._mu_ne/inside_move__beatles__suit_could_upset

--------------------
    If it's an out-of-court settlement between Apple Records and Apple Computer, I can't imagine Apple Computer is not getting anything out of it. If these two come up with some sort of agreement where The Beatles online catalog is housed exclusively on iTunes, that would be as much of a trump card as you could get in the online music business. Apple Computer carries the Beatles "outside the box creativity for the betterment of humanity" torch 50X better than the damned Beatles themselves these days, and they could probably breathe some life into the marketing of that back catalog. Did you see Apple's website the day George Harrison died? Awesome.

Some sort of cooperation between Apple Records and Apple Computer would be rad. I need to name something Apple, too.

Maybe Gwneyth and I will name our baby Apple or something.

Memo to Steve Jobs: I'd be psyched to meet Paul McCartney too, but man, do NOT let him become a board member and start meddling with stuff. He's bored stiff and at a total loss for things to do other than tour, trust me. I am familiar with his recent work, and I don't need to see "New from Apple: the Wings Special Edition Mulletted iBook" or anything.
    -----------------
    Inside Move: Beatles' suit could upset the Apple cart

Sun Sep 12, 7:26 PM
    Gordon Masson, STAFF

LONDON -- Beatles fan Steve Jobs (news - web sites) could lose a large bite of his Apple to his idols.

The Beatles' company, Apple Corps., is involved in a legal battle with Jobs' Apple Computer, claiming the hardware manufacturer is in breach of a 1991 agreement that that forbids it from using the trademark for any application "whose principle content is music." The two companies have been involved in a number of court battles over the years involving the use of the Apple trademark.

Word among the legal community is that an out of court settlement could be imminent and that it will massively dwarf the $26.5 million paid to the Fab Four's company in 1991 in a row over trademark use.

One lawyer told Daily Variety, "People are expecting this to be the biggest settlement anywhere in legal history, outside of a class action suit. The numbers could be mind boggling."

Earlier this year, the computer company failed in a bid to have the latest case heard in the United States, when a judge in London's High Court in London granted jurisdiction in the U.K.

The litigation is seen as one of the main reasons behind Apple Corps. preventing the Beatles catalog of songs being made available on the computer company's iTunes song store.

Some speculation suggests the settlement could see Apple Corps. becoming a major shareholder in the computer company, with Paul McCartney maybe even becoming a board member.

Lord Grabiner and Daniel Toledano are acting for Apple Computer, while Geoffrey Vos and Daniel Alexander are representing Apple Corps.

Despite splitting in 1970, the Beatles interests are still administered by Apple Corps., which is owned by McCartney, Ringo Starr and the families of John Lennon and George Harrison.

An Apple Computer rep declined to comment on the pending litigation and pointed to an earlier statement that said the two companies have "differeing interpretations" of the agreement.

2. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I've seen Apple (Computer) lawyers in action, yikes. If they could settle for stock in the company and a board membership to paul that wouldn't be too terribly bad. Just don't make the stock price go down.
    (Then again the stock price swings when Steve cuts a fart. :rolleyes: )

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

im holding out for the PC Records.

4. edc

edc Contributing Member

Apple (Computers) is playing very fast and loose with their agreement with Apple (Records). It probably would've been a lot cheaper to come to a licensing deal before introducing the iPod.

As to a seat on the board, I don't think McCartney or his representatives want that. Any agreement is likely to involve cutting a check, and some percentage of profits. What I would like (but won't happen) is a literal reopening of Apple Music (formerly Apple Records) on the Computer company's dime.