1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple Cider Has Ruined My Taste For Beer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Feb 9, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It tastes like cider. Its pretty awesome. Its a little sweet. I dont like St Arnold's dry cider. Its kind of bitter. Austin Eastcider's is about perfect

Im not down with seltzer. It has no flavor which is understandable, but adding fruit flavor doesn't change it from being seltzer.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah...I agree that beer seltzer sucks.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its not like cider. False alarm

The Ohio stuff. A lighter Redd's Apple

#23 pgabriel, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

pgabriel likes this.
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You've just been banned from entering Germany.

CCity Zero and pgabriel like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My wife is a cider-only kind of drinker.

As such, I've tried just about everything under the sun with her.

In my experience there's 3 kinds of cider.

1) Boring retail stuff you find at every bar

2) "Craft" local cider that is essentially just a lame twist on the boring retail stuff (ooooo! agave nectar! pineapple! honeycrisp!)

3) J.K. Scrumpy

[​IMG]

This stuff really whips the llama's ass. There are others like it, but they are typically very limited in their distribution and availability.

A cider should have some sediment and residuals in it. Otherwise you're just drinking carbonated apple juice.

pgabriel and Rashmon like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thanks , i know the stuff i drink is mostly boring retail stuff. I started a thread about bars on Washington and the pandemic. I was at Underdogs Pub. They had an awesome craft cider. They have a web site with their menu but ithe cider isnt on there

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is that available at specs or even heb?

and are ciders like IPA’s for me where some taste a ton better draft than they do out of a bottle ?

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It may be. I find it at Total Wine and Whole Foods over here in the DC area. A quick search of the Houston area Total Wine stock says they carry it at the Humble, Copperfield, and Sugarland stores. Go grab some! After you pour out a little be sure to stir up the bottle to mix in all the residual apple and sugar at the bottom. It makes a huge difference!

I don't think ciders make for particularly good draughts since to me the sediment is a huge part of the flavor profile and you can't have that in a keg.

Fwiw our go to cider when out and about is Bold Rock, which is a big brand here in Northern Virginia but I think may be branching out to the southern US.

#29 DonnyMost, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    jiggyfly, MIAGI99 and peleincubus like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Awesome thanks. I live in Austin I’m sure it’s here somewhere I can pick up. The only cider I’ve tried before is Sam Adams and I wasn’t impressed. So I never thought to try more.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Along with their great beers, Samuel Smith's Apple Cider is very good.
    [​IMG]

pgabriel likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

haven't had a beer in like two years. main thing for me was as i've gotten older gluten, yeast, etc. has increasingly made me feel like crap... not the hangover feeling, just anything i eat (or drink with that).

that said, i haven't really had much alcohol at all.

all weed for me lol

pgabriel likes this.
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That Ohio stuff i bumped this thread about, i take it back. It got too sweet. Like Red Apple's Ale.

14. Buck Turgidson

You can't just say "cider"...you have to differentiate dry vs sweet.

If you like beer, you'll like good dry cider. If you like White Claw you'll like the other.

15. Roscoe Arbuckle

I lived in London for a few months. Only Cider I kinda liked, but I was 21...

When I worked at Timberwolf they had Woodchuck. It was ok, but not my thing.

A girl last week got me to buy a 6 pack of honey cider from Austin saying he boyfriend loved it. Total blech. Gave away a couple because I hated them.

Fun fact: Girls tend to like them. Maybe this is the replacement for Zima and Seagram's Golden Wine Coolers...

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Natty Light Strawberry Lemonade and Beer ftw

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Love me some Eastsiders Texas Honey
    [​IMG]

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Never been to Hyerum, but I've been to Garrison Brothers Distillery a couple of times off 206 on our way to Albert Ice House. Some of my favorite spots to hangout outdoors.

Hye cider company looks interesting. May check it out next time we head that way on our way to Ron Yates Vineyard.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I live next to an apple farm. I should try my hand at making my own. I won't have time for a few years though.

20. Buck Turgidson

Albert is awesome. Haven't been to Ron Yates but I'll check it out one of these days.

Not cider related, but I've seen this around and have been meaning to try it for something different once the weather warms up: Karbach hard seltzer with lime and agave...anyone had some?

[​IMG]