1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Appears Ford Mustang was onto something...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Jan 11, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

At first I laughed at that Camaro (I'm a former 69 SS/RS owner). Fewer curves and an all black gill might have helped. It's growing on me now. I still like the Challenger better but I could do without the 1 row of tail lights.

The Camero has one thing going for it is that the Z28 model will have the Z06 engine - that's over 500 hp folks! I rode in a friends 04 Z06 (400 hp) Corvette and I gotta say - very impressive! I'm sure the Challenger will have the hemi option but will it be over 500 hp? I doubt it.

#21 ArtV, Jan 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. Fatty FatBastard

Challenger will have a 425 hp Hemi.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Nice! That's good enough for an old man like me. Now to get the wife off the Camero (which she likes better) and on to the Challenger.

EDIT: Mustang better step it up. And Pontiac really missed the boat with the GTO/Sunbird.

#23 ArtV, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The Rims you can blame on the owner... the stock rims on Mustangs are always small to keep the car cheap, that is what made the Mustang kill the Camaro and Firebird in the 90s it being 5000-7000 bucks cheaper. You can purchase better rims directly from Ford when you buy and/or use aftermarket rims. I don't like the stock rims either but the vast majority of mustang owners I know (hundreds) don't have stock rims on their stangs regardless of what year it was made.

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Mustang is at 300 hp in stock GT trim and the Shelby will be over 500 HP. Not too worried about top of the line models.

DaDakota, what's your take on these new retro muscle cars, and even more important, are you going to buy me a new 07 Shelby GT500?

#25 Falcons Talon, Jan 11, 2006
  6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

There has been no official word on the Challenger's specs and the concept shown above would be out in 2009... a long way away. The same goes with the Camaro above, it is a concept and any and all specs on the concept will be easily changed. I can tell you now for the Challenger to come in at 400+ horsepower it's cost will be 35 grand at the least... and you can take a mustang at 24k and put 5k in it on your own in many ways to get 400HP.

The Mustang has nothing to worry about because they know making the baddest mofo on the street at a high cost isn't their job, it is the lover of the car's job... and again, this is why the Mustang hasn't had sales problems since the Mustakes of the late 70s.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the reason american cars hadn't thought of this sooner, its what got them in trouble in the first place. Its gonna be interesting to see how long this trend lasts.

The Challenger is badass though.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I like the body style of the 05/06 Mustang better than the 07 but is they sticking with the solid rear axle in 07?

9. Falcons Talon

Ironic that the 70's is when the Mustang had some great sales. The Mustang II, as terrible as it was, helped to keep the Pony name alive and kicking, much longer than all other pony cars.

10. Falcons Talon

I'm not sure on base models...need to research, but on the gt500...

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:eek: I like the rear of the new Camero, but other than that I think it's hideous.

The Challenger is amazing. I want one of those babies!

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I like both...I've been thinking of getting another weekend car, but I wanted a convertible...We'll see...maybe if I hit the lotto, I can get both... :p

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The new Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang ALL kick complete ass ~ the Mustang has the big edge since it's been cruising the streets for the better part of a year. Now if we could just get a retro Corvette all would be right in the world again.

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

That Camero is hideous. The back end looks pretty good but the rest of the car just pieced together.

The Challanger is pretty good looking and a nice modern take on the classic. However just from the pictures I would imagine it has terrible handling.

Im with DoD in thinking these new retro models are not the most creative ideas but I do think its better than what the American carmakers have been doing.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

retro car designs = lack of imagination and innovation

16. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

anyone know how much that charger would cost? similar to the mustang?

17. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

[​IMG]

Just wanted to show some love for my baby. Still need to work on it (modding wise) though.

18. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Sure wish I knew how to post actual pictures instead of just links.

19. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I like the Camaro, not so hot on the Challenger.

20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

where are the bumpers?