1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apparently, the Cavs don't respect the Rocket much

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Van Gundier, Dec 1, 2006.

1. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

the problem is not that they have so much money. the problem is that they become morally corupt in a way. i don't care one way or the other. it's not my business. but i don't think nero's comment was taken the way it was meant.

2. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

I have no interest in attending either the Damon Jones party or the Paris Hilton party. Don't think I like the vibe from what I know of each. To each their own.

As for "inviting non-rich people"... it's a business decision, marketing... the clubs will invite anyone who will pay. It's like saying the Rockets inviting non rich people to Toyota Center is a nice thing.

3. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

I understand your point, and if people feel like that, obviously they have to work on themselves....but....we are talking about dude's comment about jay z and beer....people will buy budweiser regardless of them hiring Jay to sponsor their product....his comment -to me- sounded spiteful.

as far as atheletes wanting the attention, and throwing parties....you have to understand that it is basically promotion people making money off their names. 90% of the advertised celebrities will not show up. That's common sense. "Invited guests include"....key word....Invited....it's not up to entertainers to make sure that folks dont idolize them....it is up to the individual....

I didnt take you as throwing stones, and like I said, I understand where you are coming from.

4. xomox

i don't read the paper. but believe me when i say i see anyone who does that sort of thing (paris hilton as the above poster mentioned) with the same distaste. seeing lebron in the picture sitting in the throne...i wonder if he actually sees himself that way. and then the party...
    needless to say, arrogance is a trait i look down upon.
    i could go on and on with this. but i've already said what i wanted on the subject.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

but I'm just saying its nothing wrong with it. celebrities throw parties all the time, and you know what, a lot of people want to be around them. that may say something wrong with our society, but its not something unique to this generation.

another thing, america is a society of wealth. 100 years ago people may have been less inclined to want to spend good money to be around celebrities, 100 years ago a lot less people had the money to waste it like that.

6. xomox

forgot about the jay-z thing. and yeah, i guess it is a promotional thing. didn't consider that.

7. pettinati

MAN. Finally, I see someone with sense on this board..

Adding to his point,

example: the playboy mansion. For the social elite only. I dont forsee any of ya'll complain about playboy though.

Some of ya'll need to quit being so self righteous with your opinions about lifestyles..

8. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

eh damon jones is from uh its cool

9. xomox

the difference there though is that those are invited guests. it's a party for himself and the guests. it's not a party saying "come celebrate the greatness that is Heff".

10. pettinati

hey, I get what youre saying though.

debates are a good thing.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are exactly right here. While most of the hardcore people here on this board probably can't live without watching and b****ing about these athletes, deep down we know something is wrong when entertainers have a better life than educators in a society. But this kind of things should be discussed in the D&D.

12. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

This is nothing new, B-Ball players party all the time at clubs after games. Especially in the city of Houston. Don't forget that Damon Jones went to U of H, so hes from around here.

13. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

This reminds me of when I was living in Houston, and the NBA was on strike and they had the charity game at U of H. This guy called in on the 610 radio station and said he enjoyed the game very much, it was like an all-star game. The he asked the radio host's, who in the heck does "MISTER P" play for?" LOL!

Just random funny thoughts.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

This is how the celebrity/club machine works. The clubs use the celebrities to draw people and get a high turnout. Celebrities use the clubs for free drinks, vip, etc, and to be the center of attention. In many cases the clubs initiate contact w/ the celebs, especially for club openings. In THIS case, who knows (or cares)?

My thoughts are summed up by what my friend told me a few days ago. She went to Mansion on South Beach, which advertised Paris Hilton to be there. "It's a good thing she wasn't there, otherwise I wouldn't have had any fun."

15. YaoFan

YaoFan Contributing Member

cannot wait to watch rox kick their happy butts!

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

We live in a capatilist and free society. Its THEIR money. There's self indulgent pretentious jackwads all across the board in every aspect of life, in every area of society. Rich and famous people get the biggest stage and thats just how it is. Cuz they're rich they can't put their own face on something? Yes its arrogant to do that but who at one point didnt want a little face time? They get to do it while you only get to dream about it. Can either be jealous or just say, good for them.

Also though, these are young guys and that's just what young people seem to do everywhere whether they have millions or pennies - bring attention to themselves and attend meat market events. And it can also be like Roger Clemens - sometimes you just dont want to go straight home to the wife and kid :eek:

(Btw, when will we see Baklava's face on one of those event flyers? :D )

17. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

The atheletes are doing it because they have something to gain, so are the folks running the clubs. There's a market for it, and they are servicing the market.

What I don't get is people who are in the market... at least some of them. (I'm sure everyone here would **** Lebron or TMac... but Damon Jones? I know he makes 4 mil a year, but Damon Jones?)

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

well 81 - 63 win for the rockets, cavs must've really partied hard yesterday.

19. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Seems Bonzi's sister sat on Lebron's thighs all last night. His legs look kinda dead tonight.

20. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

All visiting teams should throw a party before playing the Rockets. :D