1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] Yao’s Health a Major Key for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matador, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Matador

Matador Member

http://www.nba.com//news/yao_health_080930.html

Yao’s Health a Major Key for Rockets
    By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer
    Posted Sep 30 2008 6:55PM

HOUSTON, Sept. 30 (AP) -- Yao Ming's birthday wish: getting through an NBA season without getting hurt.

The 7-foot-6 center - who turned 28 on Sept. 12 - has missed more than 80 games across the last three seasons with four separate injuries. In 2005-06, he contracted an infection in his left big toe that required surgery, then broke his left foot later. In 2006-07, he broke his right leg. Last February, he broke his left foot in a different place, had surgery and sat out the playoffs.

Yao acknowledges that he has to change something, whether it's his workout routine or the number of minutes he logs in games.

"I need to learn something from the last three years. Seriously,'' Yao said after the Rockets' first practice on Tuesday. "Maybe I need to be careful with my pregame workout or something, lay down a little bit, not get my body too tired before a game. Let's try some new schedules, put my best shape into the game.''

Coach Rick Adelman said he'll carefully monitor Yao's day-to-day schedule and hold him out of segments of practice to keep him fresh. Yao played 37 minutes per game last season and often resisted when Adelman tried to replace him.

"He's such a hard worker, he just runs himself into the ground,'' Adelman said. "He keeps saying he wants to rest, but he never wants to sit out. We're going to try to monitor him as much as we can, be smart in how we use him.''

Yao was averaging 22 points and a career-high 10.8 rebounds when he sustained the stress fracture in his foot on Feb. 26. He recovered enough to play for China at the Olympics, but said his foot was only 70-80 percent healed.

His Houston teammates nervously watched his games in Beijing.

"You cringe because you don't want to see him fall down,'' said point guard Rafer Alston. "And then he falls, and things like that. Then, he's doing an interview, and he falls over a writer or a camera.''

Yao averaged 19 points and 8.2 rebounds in Beijing, leading China to the quarterfinals.

"The Olympics was a very good tryout for me to prepare for the Rockets season,'' he said. "Some Chinese fans probably won't be happy, but that's just being honest. It feels great to come out of the injury. I had a good recovery. I feel fresh and ready for next season.''

Houston assistant coach Jack Sikma made two trips to China - one before the Games and one after - to work individually with Yao. Sikma said Yao has lost about 10 pounds and just needs to regain his game conditioning.

The Rockets acquired Ron Artest and Brent Barry in the offseason and Adelman hopes that the improved versatility will give Yao more chances to rest - and fewer opportunities to get hurt.

Adelman is starting his second season in Houston and also has more confidence now in frontcourt players like Luis Scola, Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes, who can come off the bench to replace Yao. Dikembe Mutombo backed up Yao last season, but Mutombo has yet to sign a new contract.

"I'm very comfortable playing two of those guys together and that would help keep Yao's minutes down,'' Adelman said. "We had to play without him last year and those guys had to play, so I think having a versatility, we have some more things we can go to offensively.''

Until then, Yao said he's not afraid to test his foot and go full-bore in practice to rebuild his stamina.

"The foot feels all right. I can't say it's like brand new, but it's like it's my foot,'' he said. "I can't wait to go, for the first preseason game, the first regular-season game.''

Yao isn't the only Rockets player whose health worries Adelman.

Tracy McGrady said Monday that his left shoulder is arthritic and his left knee is healing slower than expected from surgery in the spring. Alston had surgery to repair ligaments in his right ankle and forward Shane Battier had surgery to remove bone spurs in his left ankle. Battier now has inflammation in his left foot that will keep him out at least four weeks.

"I never had a team where I had four starters have surgery,'' said Adelman, starting his 18th season as a head coach. "That's been one of my major concerns, how these guys are going to come to camp, where they are physically and how we are going to monitor that as we go through this first month.''

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

"The Olympics was a very good tryout for me to prepare for the Rockets season,'' he said. "Some Chinese fans probably won't be happy, but that's just being honest. It feels great to come out of the injury. I had a good recovery. I feel fresh and ready for next season.''

Did Yao just say that? :rolleyes:

No more Yao values CNT more than the Rockets crap anymore. This is the end of that debate. Everybody please take a note of it.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

"Yao's health a major key for Rockets"

In other news, the Queen is reportedly British.

4. redao

redao Member

Olympics= NBA tryout? He is so Americanized. :eek:

5. comehere2

comehere2 Member

Yao :mad: tryout? you're the flag bearer.

6. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

look at the headline, even 4 year kid knew it.

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Do not know Rafer is a fun guy, but what he has said below is quite fun to me.
    Anyhow, heath is still the key for this season, a good writing.

"You cringe because you don't want to see him fall down,'' said point guard Rafer Alston. "And then he falls, and things like that. Then, he's doing an interview, and he falls over a writer or a camera.''

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I guess they didn't try to hard for that title, but since it's the Rockets...it's expect.

9. qwq121

qwq121 New Member

;) ;) ;) ;)

10. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

tryout = test

NOT

low skilled competition, where you can chill

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, this is not the first time Yao alluded that NBA is more important than his CNT duties. But this time is probably clearest and most straightforward. I think the head of CBA just had a heart attack after hearing it.

12. MacFu

MacFu Member

Yao always says the right thing to the right media. He would turn around and say the complete opposite to the Chinese media (it's understandable considering the multi-million dollars endorsement deals he's having there). It's not the first time that he made conflicting statements to the Chinese media and the America media. This 7'6" dude is a hypocrite.

13. boby

boby Member

I guess Yao said that simply because his Olympics task has finished, forever!

14. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Oh crap. I have a bad feeling about this season. I don't wanna see out "best second unit" in the league becoming the worst first unit in the league. how does Scola + Chuck + Artest + Barry + Luther sound? Or Brooks?

15. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

and in another news, Is George W. Bush American? :D

16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Dude, come on. That's the single most depressing post I've read in months.

17. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

i did notice tho that for some reason he kept falling down in the olympics. is the hardwood that slippy compared to the nba?

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

tryout = warmup, I think that's more what he meant. He doesn't have to try out for the NBA anymore. He's just sayin that the world competition isn't as strong as the NBA's, who can dispute that???

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

in other news from capt. obvious

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and his biggest scoop...

[​IMG]

20. gxgf

gxgf Member

please using Yao's time wisely during the regular season, Coach, I'm begging u