1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP: Rockets' Francis OK with going to Orlando

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DavidS, Jun 25, 2004.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Just to eliminate any questions about Francis intentions...

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/06/24/sports0144EDT0048.DTL

Rockets' Francis OK with going to Orlando
    - MIKE BRANOM, Associated Press Writer
    Thursday, June 24, 2004

(06-24) 22:44 PDT ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) --

Houston star Steve Francis has dropped his objections about being traded to Orlando, possibly paving the way for the Magic to send Tracy McGrady to the Rockets.

When news of a prospective deal broke earlier this week, Francis was adamant about not wanting to leave Houston. Orlando general manager John Weisbrod then put talks off until after the draft Thursday night.

But Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, told the Magic that there were no objections about coming to Orlando, and a call between Francis and Weisbrod after Thursday's draft smoothed matters even more.

"I couldn't say we're really closer to anything, but this was a good first step," Weisbrod said early Friday.

Said Fried: "Steve was very impressed with the way John has a vision for the team, and the way he wants to win. It seems they really hit it off."

Although Weisbrod offered no specifics, the deal is believed to be McGrady, Juwan Howard and Tyronn Lue for Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato.

McGrady, tired of carrying a mediocre franchise, has said he wants out of Orlando and vowed to exercise the opt-out clause that goes into effect at the end of next season.

But the Magic decided to trade McGrady, the two-time scoring champion, because they don't him to leave without the team receiving compensation.

After Francis' complaints were made public, Weisbrod said he didn't want to let them lie. But he did appreciate the loyalty behind them.

"That's a better way to be than, 'I'll just fly to whatever place is next,"' Weisbrod said.

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

i think i saw this somewhere before

maybe it was in a dream

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yes, but think about the early birds that will not see the other one when it dies a slow death... ;)

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

good point

5. Mick

Mick Contributing Member

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/index.htm

Not sure if this has been posted, but if you look at the top of the page it has "Breaking News" that confirms that the deal is a step closer. Talks about the Orlando GM's conversation with Steve on Thursday night.

Mick

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Magic trade involving McGrady a step closer

Orlando's GM speaks with Houston's Steve Francis

By John Denton
    FLORIDA TODAY

NEW YORK - All-star guard Steve Francis spoke with Orlando general manager John Weisbrod for more than 20 minutes Thursday night, bringing his imminent trade to the Magic for Tracy McGrady one step further.

And contrary to several reports, Francis apparently won’t be traded out of Orlando when the Magic-Rockets deal becomes official likely either tonight or Saturday.

``It is our understanding that the Magic want Steve to be their starting point guard come opening night next season,’’ said Jeff Fried, Francis’ agent.

Weisbrod stopped short of saying that the deal with the Rockets is close, stressing that the Magic are ``still looking at all of our options.’’

Weisbrod said earlier in the week that the Magic were talking trade with seven teams, the most serious of them being Houston, Phoenix, Indiana and Miami.

The trade with the Rockets would involve the Magic shipping McGrady, Juwan Howard and Tyronn Lue - Orlando’s three most productive starters last season - to Houston for Francis, shooting guard Cuttino Mobley and center Kelvin Cato.

``I couldn't say we're closer to anything but this was a good first step,’’ Weisbrod said. ``I do like the determination and conviction I hear from Steve.’’

Determining Francis’ state of mind was important to Weisbrod after the all-star guard initially balked at wanting to play in Orlando. Both Fried and Weisbrod said that Francis’ initial reaction was more his frustration of having to leave Houston than it was about going to Orlando.

``In a weird sort of way I kind of liked it because it told me the guy was loyal to his team,’’ Weisbrod said. ``He’s been in Houston for five seasons and he’s battled with those guys and given his blood, sweat and tears. His reaction was better than getting some guy who just got on a flight and moved on to the next city without any emotion.’’

The deal might not be final, but McGrady’s illustrious career in Orlando is almost a thing of the past. The 6-foot-8, 210-pound guard fulfilled the promise of the $93 million contract the Magic bestowed upon him four years ago when he was but a prospect.

He blossomed into the game’s most lethal offensive weapon in Orlando, reaching four all-star games and winning two scoring championships. He averaged 32.1 points in 2002-03 and 28 points per game this past season, including a dazzling 62-point performance.

The impetus for McGrady’s departure rests with whom you want to believe.

The Magic have made it known that McGrady has been restless for months and said that he told owner Rich DeVos last week that he no longer wanted to play in Orlando. McGrady has had few public comments on the matter, but he said that he felt as if he was being pushed out of Orlando.

One potential holdup in the deal could be McGrady’s agreement with the Rockets that he will sign a new seven-year contract following next season. McGrady can opt out of his contract this time next summer and Houston wants some assurance from McGrady that it will be able to keep him for more than just one season.

``We’ve had discussions (with McGrady’s agent, Arn Tellem) about what kind of teams we’d be talking to about a trade and what the prerequisites would be,’’ Weisbrod said. ``What we ended up with was this deal, and the prudent thing to do was to move forward. There’s nothing for the (new contract) to be contingent on right now. We haven’t discussed (a new contract).’’

What was discussed in the early hours of today was Francis’ arrival in Orlando. The Magic shelved all trade talks Wednesday and Thursday while they focused on their first pick in the NBA Draft, a selection they used to nab phenom forward Dwight Howard.

But Weisbrod and Fried restarted conversations late Thursday and eventually Francis was put in contact with Weisbrod. The Magic’s new general manager discussed his strategies for rebuilding a team that sunk to a dismal 21-61 record last season. And Francis apparently came away impressed enough to tell Weisbrod that he would welcome a trade.

``It’s fair to say that he was very impressed with what John had to say,’’ Fried said. ``They have similar philosophies on winning and how a team should work.’’

Said Weisbrod: ``I felt like our personalities meshed.’’

The Magic entered the offseason with 10 players under contract, something that made Weisbrod’s rebuilding plan all the more difficult. But after Thursday’s work there is the potential that the Magic will have five new starters next season.

Francis and Mobley have long since been one of the league’s most dynamic backcourts, while Cato had one of the finest seasons of his career at center this past year. Dwight Howard could move right into the starting lineup at power forward, while a healthy Grant Hill might return as the centerpiece small forward.

``I look at it as a positive first step and I look forward to speaking with them again,’’ Weisbrod said. ``We could still go in another direction with this, but I do like what I heard.’’

7. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

8. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

All that talk of shipping Steve elsewhere I believe is just the result of the discontent some writers/fans in Orlando are experiencing with this deal. I believe all along Steve appealed to Orlando because he fills that superstar void in Orlando. No way Wiesbrod and Devos dedicate all this time to insure Steve's happiness w/ the deal then ship him elsewhere.

9. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Steve is probably warming up to the idea of shooting the ball 20 times a game.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

And making sure the Magic weren't running an inside-out offense through Cato or Dwight Howard. :D

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'm happy to hear this because We and especially I have heard several things...with this in place, we get what we want and need to progress as a team...

12. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I like Orlando's lineup more and more, if they do keep all 3 Rockets......then you add Howard and Nelson. Solid lineup. Seems like they might actually keep Steve after all. That team might actually be better with that lineup than with TMac. Easily a playoff team.......might be top 5 or 6 in the East. Glad Steve finally realizes that! :cool:

13. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

so I guess its true....

[​IMG] = [​IMG]

#13 Willis25, Jun 25, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't recall ever seeing an athlete coddled by owners more than this guy in this particular trade. i have talked to sports agents before and they lament that so much of their job amounts to "babysitting." but this just seems over the top.

15. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I hope he stays in Orlando....I Bleed rockets red forever, but now have a second team to route for.

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I guess some players are more "sensitive", such as Steve...

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i guess so. he's way too old to need that kind of coddling. my 4 year old son handles bedtime and cleaning up his room better than this. this is embarassing. seriously, i'd be embarassed.

18. Raven

Raven Member

The meeting may no longer be necessary, since SF has given his blessing to the trade.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Was it really a bad thing that Stevie wanted to remain a Rocket? Could he have handled it better? Most definetly yes. I will miss all three in this trade. Cat and SF played their collective hearts out for the Rockets. Cato did, too (sometimes). I can't blame them for wanting to finish what they started.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course, how many times has a player been the main guy on a rebuilding team for four years, finally go to the playoffs, then nearly get traded to the worst team the year before. It's easy for us to b**** about Francis' reaction, but who knows what your reaction would be? Not to mention that the only thing any of us knows about the situation is what the media is telling us.

Hell, the way things are going because of McGrady this year, Dwight Howard will probably tell the Magic halfway through this year that he's unhappy, he's gonna opt out in a couple of years and play disgruntled until they trade him.