1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP poll: A slight majority of Americans are now expressing negative view of blacks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BornTexan, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks. One has to wonder what sort of bizarre bubble some of these people live in.

2. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Tell him Ray, Connie, Katie, Reesa, Sheila, Arthur, Tammi, and Tiwahna say hi.

3. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I've been busy at work and unable to reply to this topic due to my7 schedule. Here are a few thoughts:

The fact is that blacks were treated as second class citizens at best for 300+ years. Blacks, within the last 50 years or so are just now getting an opportunity to build up wealth, education, political power and status. Other immigrant groups, both past and present, have done well for themselves in those categories but they in many cases weren't not inherently held as the lowest rung of society as African-Americans were here and even if they were, especially before the Civil Rights Movement, they had an easier time gaining acceptance, status, wealth, etc... in US and particularly if Western European.

So it will take time and more generations for blacks to even come close to catching up when they were outcaste from accepted United States society for so long.

That said, as a black man myself, I do get frustrated by black culture and attitudes in many ways. For example, how you need to stick to what the majority of blacks and doing or saying or be called an Uncle Tom or "too white" or a sell out, a phrase many don't even truly understand to any degree because they have no inside knowledge of what it really means. Or how I was supposed to vote for Obama or be considered a Republican/sell out today when I had no interest in either (some people of all races can't see beyond the two-party paradigm).

Throughout history, blacks in the New World have had to rely on each other for a sense of love, brotherly love and sense of community against an abusive and sometimes violent oppressor that stripped us away from our heritage, culture and customs and replaced them with their own.

But now since we have achieved civil rights, even if things are far from completely fair or have hardly been made equal, we don't need to lean on each other nearly as much and stand behind potentially ignorant attitudes for the sake of being a community. After all, wasn't it Martin Luther King, the very leader of the Civil Rights Movement, who said judge people not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character?

Black culture plus the acceptance and defense of ignorant, sometimes bigoted, sometimes immoral and the more or less overall embarrassing behavior (I'm not saying there aren't positives but the bad outweighs the good imo) is becoming a major problem that has started to snowball with the youth. And although other races/cultures have their own flaws, it especially looks poor for blacks when many look up to us as a beacon for pop culture and entertainment.

So I can only hope we squash ignorant attitudes regardless or race. It's unfortunate that King's Dream is merely staying that and not becoming a reality in part because of the poor path blacks, particularly in the US, are taking, granted centuries of oppression naturally has made it less likely that most blacks would be toward the top of the overall caste in modern society.

1 person likes this.
  4. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Bump.

I wanted to see if anyone had anything to say about this, I had been extra busy when this thread was in it's prime.

5. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

No. Nobody cares about black people;)

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

FIFY

Rocket River

7. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

No...

George Bush doesn't care about black people.

[​IMG]

8. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

borntexan= bigtexxx