1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AP poll: A slight majority of Americans are now expressing negative view of blacks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BornTexan, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Trust. .. the Racist have said much worse and barely get a nod
    but
    They definately on a constant running to the Admins to get others banned
    The Admins allow it .. . . so why bother .. u know

/Ignore them . . . life gets better then

Rocket River

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

100% serious, plus 3 for extra credit.

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Good for you, then. Based on your other statement, though, you still have an issue with race, which means that you're still a racist.

4. redlawn

redlawn Member

Another brilliant post by Mr. ****-for-Brains.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You would think that since all races have about the same amount of racists that racists would realize just how stupid racism is.

Yet another ideology with no basis used to divide and conquer on the way to power. Some of you guys are just eating it up.

Since I'm not very familiar, could it be that things like "affirmative action" will become less popular when the treatment of certain races becomes more and more fair? So if the rights and treatment of African Americans improves, won't affirmative action towards them naturally become less popular? If that's what's going on, I see that as a good thing, not a bad thing with the realization that WHEN that happens, the racists will still be spewing hateful language and that that should not deter people from recognizing this victory, albeit a very delayed victory.

How far/close is the US to that situation?

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In other news, disturbing revelations how the black inmate population is factored out in demographic studies...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/sunday-review/how-prisoners-make-data-look-good.html?src=recg

¶ Among male high school dropouts born between 1975 and 1979, 68 percent of blacks (compared with 28 percent of whites) had been imprisoned at some point by 2009, and 37 percent of blacks (compared with 12 percent of whites) were incarcerated that year.

¶ By the time they turn 18, one in four black children will have experienced the imprisonment of a parent.

¶ More young black dropouts are in prison or jail than have paying jobs. Black men are more likely to go to prison than to graduate with a four-year college degree or complete military service.

Black dropouts are more likely to spend at least a year in prison than to get married.

“Among low-skill black men, spending time in prison has become a normative life event, furthering their segregation from mainstream society,” Dr. Pettit writes.

If inmates were counted, she estimates, the black high school dropout rate would soar to 19 percent and the share of dropouts who are employed would plunge to 26 percent — far more dire than the statistics usually cited. The celebrated voter turnout among young blacks in the 2008 election would drop to roughly 20 percent, about where it was in 1980.

Blacks account for nearly half of the more than 2.3 million Americans in prison or jail. Failure to include them in measures of black progress, she argues, is akin to leaving states out of national counts. Former inmates, too, tend to be undercounted because they are typically poor, mobile and living precariously.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

8. jocar

jocar Member

Racist attitudes haven't increased.. It's just that the far right wingers and T baggers, in their relentless onslaught to vilify the president, have emboldened some racists to come out of the closet. What do you expect when so much contempt is bred and fed to the malcontent and ignorant? It's the adult version of Lord of the Flies.

1 person likes this.
  9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Did anyone read the article?

There was this as well:

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Some of us are mature enough to have discussions on race -- others just throw around the 'ignorant' word and dismiss any further discussion. Sticking your head in the sand really doesn't solve anything. There are far too many millions of people who have consistent reactions to the same ethnic group -- because of that, you HAVE to consider the root cause of the problem as being not just one sided. You must. Emotional bias is too much for many of those directly affected to have a reasoned discussion on this point. Pouhe -- hats off to you for being the exception to this rule.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

How did that work out for Al Sharpton when he ran for President? Answer: not too well.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shirley Chisholm, Jesse Jackson, Alan Keyes, and Herman Caine all agree.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't be absurd. If the mods "banned" discussions of racism, they may as well shut down this forum, because it would serve no useful purpose. There are topics that I don't enjoy discussing here due to the entirely predictable destruction of any reasonable discourse by a couple of members who literally "take over" any thread about the topic. Want an example? Abortion. Yet it would never occur to me to ban discussing abortion. You may as well toss out democracy as practiced in the United States if you are going to ban some topics of discourse, but say others are "OK" to talk about. If someone is making obviously racist remarks here, then you ban the person from the forum. I can easily think of a couple who deserve that. However, that is my opinion, and it isn't my job to make those decisions, thank god. Were that to happen, though, it would do nothing to limit discourse. All it would do would be to remove a racist from this forum. That's entirely different from what you are suggesting.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Racism is tribalism and every tribe engages in it, while at the same time claiming they are the exception. Human nature is human nature, and multi ethnic societies are balkanized, not just by race, but also by ethnicity and religion. It's always been this way and it always will be this way. Northern Ireland, Detroit, West Bank, Indian Caste, the list stretches from here to the moon.

I don't know what the answer is, but I doubt it can be found in a "gotcha" survey designed to generate page hits instead of progress.

1 person likes this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm mature enough to call you ****** and have a mature discussion on it.:rolleyes:

#55 pgabriel, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  16. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

I'm curious - how is y'all playing the racism card going to do one damn thing to fix the social pathologies that run rampant in the black community?

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm only concerned about your rampant social pathologies here.

1 person likes this.
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Aren't we all. We may need proof of life on some posters after the election if Obama wins.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this, sad to say.

And if you watch FOX at all, you are constantly bombarded with negative images and then quick cuts to Obama or at least the constant word "Obama."

So, crying starving baby? You get the black president. Burning building? You get the black president. Looters in a city, anywhere on earth? You get the black president. It's *classic* old school propaganda, but they've really put it in overdrive the last couple of years. I wish I could say I had not watched this with my own eyes, but it's blatant once you are attuned to it.

Since it is the most watched network (SMDH), then of course this propaganda can have negative collateral damage. (As if poisoning the discourse of an entire nation isn't collateral damage enough, I guess.)

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

as many things that can make me upset in a thread like this

wingnutA starts thread on race

sane person responds

wingnutB says why are you playing race card when sane person is only responding to wingnutA topic

1 person likes this.