1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP]Nomar meets with Dodgers will decide soon

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Drewdog, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

link

Nomar meets with Dodgers
    Team wants Garciaparra to play first base or outfield
    Posted: Friday December 16, 2005 3:40PM; Updated: Friday December 16, 2005 3:40PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Nomar Garciaparra met for several hours with Los Angeles Dodgers executives and is expected to decide soon on his future.

The 32-year-old Garciaparra also is considering the New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians and Houston Astros, but the Dodgers might have an advantage because Garciaparra and his wife, former soccer star Mia Hamm, live in suburban Manhattan Beach.
    [A
    Garciaparra played under recently hired Dodgers manager Grady Little in 2002-03 with the Boston Red Sox and was teammates with pitcher Derek Lowe and third baseman Bill Mueller in Boston. Lowe signed with Los Angeles last winter, and Mueller joined the Dodgers this week.

Dodgers spokesman Josh Rawitch said Garciaparra met Thursday with owner Frank McCourt, general manager Ned Colletti and senior vice president Tom Lasorda.

Garciaparra was considered one of baseball's best shortstops for several years while playing with the Red Sox, but his playing time was limited during the past two seasons because of injuries. He was traded to the Cubs midway through the 2004 season.

Should he join the Dodgers, he probably would play first base or the outfield because the team has reached agreements with shortstop Rafael Furcal and Mueller, a third baseman. All-Star Jeff Kent is at second.

A five-time All-Star with the Red Sox, Garciaparra hit .283 with nine homers and 30 RBIs in 62 games for the Chicago Cubs last season, when he earned $8.25 million. He tore his left groin running out of the batter's box in St. Louis on April 20 and didn't return until Aug. 5.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Hello Rondell White!!! :(

2. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

I never expected us to get him....I see Rondell White or Juan Encarnacion as much more likely. As Purpura says, there's no need for any drastic changes as he expects Mike Lamb and Bagwell and Lane to pick up the slack.

3. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

I never thought he would be an Astro, BUT who knows anymore. There's still Mench and a host of others.

4. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

That's definitely bad journalism.

Considering Nomar already inked a contract with us.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Am I the only one who doesn't want this overpriced, disable list player who doesn't really have a position?

You can add up his games played the last 3 years and it doesn't even combine for 1 full year of baseball!

Say no to Rondell White as well. Not sure about Encarnacion. Anyone know the status of Reggie Sanders? I'd love for him to continue his tour of clubs in Houston.

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Wrong, he played 156 games for the Sox in 2003. You tried this lie in an earlier thread, and were proven wrong.

Sanders is already 38 and is asking for a 3 year deal. No thanks.

#6 RocketFan007, Dec 16, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  7. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Reggie can only hit astro pitching. ;)

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

He'll have a position once we get rid of Everett.

9. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

The article makes it seem the Dodgers have the lead when from what I have heard it was more of a courtesy call since Nomar's old manager Grady Little is there and Nomar lives in the area. Nomar has said he wants to go to a contender and Dodgers are definitely not that.

I would like him here, whether he plays LF or SS doesn't matter, as long as we get that bat in our lineup. If he can stay healthy, he can definitely upgrade our hitting situation at SS.

10. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

So much for the freeing up of resources to upgrade the club offensively. I suspect we'll see the same lineup as last year w/o our best pitcher.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Huh???

12. plee

plee Member

your probably right...

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I doubt he is lying. He probably just looked at his stats on espn.com (or a similar site) and saw that the last 3 entries showed 38, 43 and 62 games played. What he is not realizing is that the 38 was for the first part of 2004 with the Red Sox and the 43 was for the second part of 2004 with the Cubs.

14. W Texas Rocket

lol I hope we get him and take it as a good sign he has not signed yet.

15. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

so, is nomar going to decide anytime this month????

waiting for his "decision within the next 24 hours" is like watching one of his at bats...

is it over yet?

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

thats pretty damn funny

I think the fact he hasnt decided might be a good sign for us. If he was going to stay in LA because of Mia or any other reason, I think he would have signed by now. I'm not saying he WONT go to LA, but the fact he hasnt decided means, to me, that he is definitely considering us. I also think that if its an incentive laden contract he wants (which is what he wants according to what i have read)....his offensive #'s will be a lot more easily attainable in Houston as opposed to LA....not to mention the wear and tear on his body playing LF is going to be easier on him in Houston than it will be in LA. I dont see him as a 1B...which is one of the places where LA has considered putting him I believe.

17. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

In other news....I'd much rather see us sign Preston Wilson than Rondell White.

18. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

It depends what the astros want. They can get a hitter who hits for a high batting average and has a so so obp(White), or someone who hits for a low average, bad obp, and hits a homerun once in a while (Wilson)

19. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I'm sure this is the case. DHR is my boy and would not knowingly tell a lie.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/otherMLB/view.bg?articleid=117601

A phone call from Joe Torre and a chance to re- ignite a career in New York wasn’t enough to entice Nomar Garciaparra to join the Yankees.

Last night, the former Red Sox shortstop agreed in principle to a one-year deal with the Dodgers worth $6 million in base salary. The 32-year-old will play first base.

According to a plate-appearance incentive, Garciaparra could earn more than $8 million next year. He made $8.25 million last year for the Cubs when he played in only 62 games due to a severe left-groin injury.

According to sources, agent Arn Tellem informed the Yankees, Astros and Indians last night that Garciaparra wasn’t going to be joining them.

Torre called Garcia parra last week to make sure he knew the Yankees were interested.

However, Garciaparra had concerns about the New York media after an up-and-down relationship with the Boston media.

Garciaparra’s decision to play in Los Angeles, where he has a home and will be reunited with former Red Sox manager Grady Little and third baseman Bill Mueller, is a blow to the Yankees.

New York believed he was a good fit to its lineup since the Yankees would have played him at first base and moved Jason Giambi to DH.