1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] Latrell Sprewell to decide between Houston and Detroit...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Aug 16, 2005.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

[Yahoo] Latrell Sprewell deciding between Houston and Detroit

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-freeagents-finley&prov=ap&type=lgns

With Finley on market, Sprewell must wait to decide between Detroit, Houston

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer
    August 16, 2005

Michael Finley's arrival on the free agent market Tuesday had an impact on Latrell Sprewell, who might not decide until the end of next week whether to sign with Detroit, Houston or elsewhere, Sprewell's agent said.

The Mavericks' decision to waive Finley late Monday night changed the complexion of the free agent market, throwing a two-time All-Star into the mix at a time when the majority of NBA teams have already made most of their major offseason moves.

The Pistons, however, have been holding onto their mid-level salary cap exception and are all but certain to go after Finley before deciding whether to settle for Sprewell.

Finley's agent, Henry Thomas, said eight or nine teams contacted him Tuesday to discuss his client's availability.

"He's in the process of narrowing it down and focusing on what teams he'd like to go to," Thomas said. "He's most interested in going to a situation where he has a chance to win a championship."

A few of Finley's suitors, including Detroit, Miami and Denver, still have their full mid-level salary cap exception and can offer a five-year deal with a starting salary of $5 million. Phoenix could offer Finley only the veteran's minimum, and San Antonio has only a portion of its mid-level exception remaining.

"(Money) will be looked at along with other factors, and ultimately Michael will have to prioritize,'' Thomas said.

The Mavericks tried to trade Finley before Monday night's midnight deadline for waiving players under the amnesty provision of the collective bargaining agreement, but were unable to reach a deal.

Finley will not clear waivers for seven days, a delay that will keep Sprewell waiting, too.

"If you look at teams like Miami, Detroit and Houston, they're all one player away from reaching the NBA Finals,'' agent Robert Gist said. ``We'll see what happens. The night is still young.''

"I think it speaks well of Latrell that two of his former coaches (Flip Saunders and Jeff Van Gundy) want him on their teams. Latrell is the one bargain that's out there right now.''

Sprewell turned down a three-year, $21 million extension from the Timberwolves before last season. Minnesota has shown no interest in trying to re-sign him, Gist said, nor have the Timberwolves seemed open to the idea of a sign-and-trade deal.

Sprewell, a 13-year veteran who will be 36 when the season begins, averaged a career-low 12.8 points last season for Minnesota.

Still considered an above-average defender, Sprewell would likely compete with David Wesley for playing time at the shooting guard spot in Houston. If he were to join the Pistons, it would likely be as a bench player backing up small forward Tayshaun Prince and shooting guard Richard Hamilton.

Detroit is one of nine teams, along with the Nuggets, Lakers, Heat, Bulls, Mavericks, SuperSonics, Timberwolves and Jazz, that still have their entire mid-level exception available.

"The mid-level is not an insult to Latrell, but his value is higher than the mid-level,'' Gist said.

Among the other remaining unrestricted free agents are Indiana's Dale Davis, Miami's Damon Jones, Memphis' Earl Watson, Atlanta's Tyronn Lue, Boston's Gary Payton, Seattle's Damien Wilkins and Minnesota's Eddie Griffin.

#1 countingcrow, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Go to Dallas Spree. Please.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

4. Man

Man Contributing Member

He's too old!! But he's an upgrade over Wesley and Sura..

I'll take Finley over Sprewell. We don't have anything to offer either one though. So I'd go with Demarr Johnson (if available) & Jay Williams.

#4 Man, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Welcome aboard Latrell.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ok, after reading the article it doesn't quite sound like he has narrowed down his choices to us or Detroit. Basically just sounds like he wants to go to a team that has a chance to win it all, and his agent mentioned us as one of those teams.

7. Thanos

Thanos Member

makes sense.

We just got rid of an ex-knick. We have to make sure we meet our required quota.

* SIGH *

So much for that young swingman...

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

That is funny considering that I would be reluctant to even use the LLE on him.

9. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Read between the lines...his agent didn't just pull Detroit and Houston out of the air. It's obvious we are one of his top two choices. IMO, this explains why we haven't heard much about Van Exel signing for the LLE since being waived by Portland. Looks like Houston has been holding out for Sprewell.

Not a bad signing if he comes here for the LLE...

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

It's almost always about the money.. does anyone think really think Spree has the character of Deke?? He will go to a team who will put the most zeros on his contract and I dont think that will be us..

11. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Man, this is really good news. He is fine with not being the man. He won't be here. He's 6'5" tall, plays good "D" and hasn't choked anybody in a while. It'd be great for the LLE, IMHO.

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I prefer Finley instead of Sprewell, and it would be nice if he goes to Dallas.

13. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

If he can help the team, great! It's not like we've never had hated players come to the Rockets and grown on the fans. The only one who never fit in at all was Oakley, but thats just bc he didnt do anything. Spree can still contribute. Gundy wont take crap.

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

please pick detroit.

15. choujie

choujie Member

Spree is not going to be a Rocket. He has a family to feed and Houston doesn't even have MLE left.

16. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

TO Jr. is #2 right behind Ruben Patterson on my radioactive list. The choking incident and his rumored tanking last season on the T-Wolves are unforgiveable to me on the issue of character. It's weird that Flip Saunders wants him, but then again, I guess it was not personal between Spree and Flip. It's Cassell that Flip had the personal problem with. Spree's problem was with McHale and ownership.

If 3yrs/$21MM weren't enough to feed his family, how will the LLE do it? Somebody's gonna starve.

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I was wondering that too. Hope he can buy school supplies for his kids this year.

Upgrade over our shooting guards though - if he feels like playing. He certainly didn't last year.

18. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

I've never been a big Spree fan, but I'd welcome him with open arms considering the position we're in. Yes, I would have rather have had Damon or AD but we didn't get either. If we want to win now, and I do, then we need to upgrade the backcourt and whoever doesen't think that Spree is an upgrade to what we have now doesn't watch basketball.

All the major players (teams w/ a chance) have upgraded their line-ups including H-town, but Miami has done the best job and SA (the current Champs) have gotten even better. IMHO, we've got to do better than just adding Swift this off season.

19. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

well Spree should be fresh since he took last season off.

J

20. rvpals

rvpals Member

NO SPREE, PLEASE!

IMO, he will be very bad for our team chemistry.