1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ap]Jackie Chan's China comments prompt backlash

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Apr 19, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.austin360.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/Movies/AS_Hong_Kong_People_Jackie_Chan.html

Jackie Chan's China comments prompt backlash
    By MIN LEE
    AP Entertainment Writer

HONG KONG — Action star Jackie Chan's comments wondering whether Chinese people "need to be controlled" have drawn sharp rebuke in his native Hong Kong and in Taiwan.

Chan told a business forum in the southern Chinese province of Hainan that a free society may not be beneficial for China's authoritarian mainland.

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said Saturday. "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

He went on to say that freedoms in Hong Kong and Taiwan made those societies "chaotic."

Chan's comments drew applause from a predominantly Chinese audience of business leaders, but did not sit well with lawmakers in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

"He's insulted the Chinese people. Chinese people aren't pets," Hong Kong pro-democracy legislator Leung Kwok-hung told The Associated Press. "Chinese society needs a democratic system to protect human rights and rule of law."

Another lawmaker, Albert Ho, called the comments "racist," adding: "People around the world are running their own countries. Why can't Chinese do the same?"

Former British colony Hong Kong enjoys Western-style civil liberties and some democratic elections under Chinese rule. Half of its 60-member legislature is elected, with the other half picked by special interest groups. But Hong Kong's leader is chosen by a panel stacked with Beijing loyalists.

In democratically self-ruled Taiwan, which split from mainland China during a civil war in 1949, legislator Huang Wei-che said Chan himself "has enjoyed freedom and democracy and has reaped the economic benefits of capitalism. But he has yet to grasp the true meaning of freedom and democracy."

Chan's comments were reported by news outlets in Hong Kong and Taiwan, but were ignored by the mainland Chinese press.

Although Chan was a fierce critic of the brutal crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in June 1989, which killed at least hundreds, he has not publicly criticized China's government in recent years and is immensely popular on the mainland.

He performed during the opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics and took part in the Olympic torch relay.

Chan also is vice chairman of the China Film Association, a key industry group.

___

Associated Press writer Annie Huang in Taipei contributed to this report.

___

2. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

he was never one my favorite actors, but in the last decade or so, i have heard many comments (not just today or political issues) from him that i completely agree with. he still is not one of my favorite actors, but i agree with his views. he is a die hard nationalist. :D

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you agree that the Chinese need to be controlled? Basically that is saying that individual Chinese are incapable of making big decisions for themselves.

Also doesn't Jackie Chan's family live in Australia?

4. yuantian

i don't think he meant complete control at all. probably more like disciplined. i remember him saying things about preserving the culture and stuff. he is probably coming from a cultural aspect, not purely politically. but of course more personally freedom can be given, but to the conservatives, there is a limit.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

His comments seem pretty straight forward.

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said Saturday. "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

He went on to say that freedoms in Hong Kong and Taiwan made those societies "chaotic."

Needless to say, I strongly disagree with him. I think there is a need for more freedom, not less, everywhere in the world. Not just in China.

6. yuantian

did he say that in English or was it translated? i really think he didn't mean it this way. it's either translated badly, or he expressed it in a wrong way. i know he is a nationalist from previous comments and action. he is probably reading history books these days and day dreaming. :D

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

This is a funny distinction. There is no absolute freedom even in the "corrupted" US of A. While I shouldn't be reading Chan's comments out of context, which I don't know much of, if he equates "discipline" to "control", he is stupid.
    With the ironclad Beijing has put on the people, tight controls, I will actually say "discipline", the just kind, is not nearly enough. The rule of law and government branches are not separate. People are not in the process deciding what the law is, and too much power, if not all, is left to the law enforcement. The government in fact tells the Court what the law is.
    The paternalistic government in Beijing has been running on a 15th century theory that people can't be trusted, and the logic then extends to since people can't be trusted, we are the mandate of people to control people. If you buy that, I feel sorry for you.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Chan should just stick to his movie lines. He doesn't know the difference between freedom in the sense of democracy and freedom in the sense of rule of law.

9. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Imagine if Jackie Chan lived in a controlled China, there probably wouldn't be a Jackie Chan. o_O

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or stick to forums, like you.

11. yuantian

you would be surprised on many people in China share his view.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

:confused:

You are not making sense even for insulting, if that's what you meant.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

I know very well.
    There is no denial that Beijing has done a laudable job ratcheting China from a backwards economy that Mao left China with to a manufacturing juggernaut that is ready to catch up with the advanced economy. But at the same time Beijing has to realize the paternalistic approach will not take the country very far.
    What separates Beijing from the other dictator countries is that the government seems to be genuinely concerned with the wellness of the people. So while I sounded harsh, I still have confidence in Beijing, but my patience is losing "gradually".

14. yuantian

well, Beijing is not a dictatorship. what more can you ask for if the government is genuinely concerned with the well being of the people? back to the topic, anyone got a video of Jackie saying that?

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

jackie chan needs the PRC to control his pants.

His family will thank them for it.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yVx8l_-nn6c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yVx8l_-nn6c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Beijing is not a dictatorship if you narrow dictatorship to the form like feudalism. It is a dictatorship because people cannot participate political process meaningfully , and there is no external check on CCCP. This is as close as a dictatorship as you can get outside emperor running his kingdom.
    I will ask Beijing to actually improve the well being of the people across the board, not just those middle to up class people.

18. yuantian

well, that's what their plan is right now. maybe more freedom after that? :D be patient. ;)

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

I don't see it that way. It does not make sense there has to be an oder of operation in order to guarantee people's well being across the broad. How will those migrant workers' voice be heard and their rights be vindicated if the government's concern prioritizes on economy. If you agree communist's ideals and market economy are not compatible, I just don't see those ideals will ever going to work. Deng's ideal "let some be rich first", which implied all would be rich later, will never realize, because China has to compete in the global market that runs on core of capitalism forever and more. The reality would be those who are disadvantaged in China's economic process, the migrant workers, the less educated, the peasants, would have hard time achieving political equality if their voices cannot be heard easily without some form of display of dissatisfication. And I am not just limit the insular minority groups to the economic classification in terms political power, how about those gay people, religious people, hippies, on and on.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I prefer his dialogue more so in Rush Hour 1, 2 and 3.

I wonder if his comments are being taken out of context though. From the article, it looks pretty straight forward as to what he said, but I guess I'm just surprised.