1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AOL Fanhouse] Too Many Players in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Nothing here we don't already know.. but I thought someone might want to respond to it.

link

I actually think the most interesting thing is the final comment...

DNP-CD is something that can cause some turmoil on this team before we really get into the meat of the season.

2. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

like Morey said, it's a good problem to have. He could potentially trade some of our players to other teams for cash, picks, etc. I'm not worried :-D

Chemistry, however, could be an issue. If the ex-allstars/could-be allstars are complaining for lack of playing time, then we may have a problem. However, if players like Francis, James, and others hold their claims that they will do whatever it takes to help the team win, then chemistry shouldn't be a problem.....

We'll see how the season plays out.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think they'll move Alston and Sura will obviously be waived. It seems likely that Lucas and Harris would be waived also. That leaves them with 15 guys. Of those 15, 9 would seem to be solid rotation guys.

Yao
    McGrady
    Battier
    Scola
    Francis
    James
    Wells
    Hayes
    Head

Despite what they said about Adleman's short rotations, that wasn't the case in Portland where he played what amounted to two sets of 5 guys - usually 9 guys plus 1 additional depending on the matchup.

On any given night, Butler, Mutumbo, Snyder or Brooks could see time - the latter probably more frequently later in the season. Novak and Landry will have to earn time if they can. Since Brooks and Landry are rookies and Novak is only in his second year, it wouldn't shock me to see those guys routinely as reserve (13-15). Butler and Mutumbo won't complain about playing time and, depending upon how he fits in, Snyder could see minutes here and there on a regular basis.

The rest will get time on the floor as needed.

4. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Sura, Reed, Lucas, Novak.. bam done

5. zong

zong Member

I do not like the short rotation. Spurs even played 11 men in the playoff last year. The short rotation sucks.

6. blender

blender Member

I hate to say this but I wonder if Alston and Hayes can be packaged for an upgrade at the PF/C spot. I think the Rockets can still use a defensive minded power foward with the size and strength to match up with the star PFs of the league and maybe play the center position.

That said, I doubt that this would happen because it would be too drastic a lineup change. Plus, Adelman seems to be pretty impressed with Hayes so far.

Apologies for posting this on a thread started by a Hayesfan. :)

7. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I think a lot of talented players makes us immensely more resistant to injuries than we have been in the past.

No more days of losing some players to injuries and becoming 'team-scrub' like we've been relegated to previously. Of course knock on wood that we don't have any injuries. But Morey as a mathmatics guys knows to play the odds and this team is nicely built for the odds.

8. Trip

Trip Member

Didn't Adelman play a pretty big rotation in one of his last years at Sacramento? He had Jim Jackson, Bobby Jackson, Turkoglu, Keon Clark, and Scot Pollard all on the bench. I remember all of them playing substantial minutes, as well.

9. WildSweet&Cool

I was thinking this, too. I don't know where he's coming up with the "short rotation" stuff for Adelman. If anything, he's always seemed to be a coach that tries to get as many weapons as possible active in the game. To support this, you NEVER heard a bench player on one of his teams complaining because he didn't get any playing time.

10. akuma

akuma Member

even Gerald Wallace was able to see limited minutes.

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

I think the writer thought JVG still the head coach of Houston Rockets! :D

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Never feel that way! I was worried about that all summer. That they would do a sign and trade with Chuck to see what they could get out of it.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nonsense, Rick Adelman will simply run a 14-man rotation like the BBS has been clamoring for spelling the end of the Stubborn JVG 3 man rotation.

Meanwhile, back in reality....
    To un-support this: The game logs from his best season in Sacramento show him using an 8-man rotation.

Webber
    Divac
    Stojankovic
    Bibby
    Christie

Pollard
    Turkoglu
    Jackson

w/Lawrence Funderburke taking Webber's spot when injured.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAC/2002_games.html

Who is going to break the news to DaDakota that the short bench is back? :confused:

#13 SamFisher, Oct 6, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is nothing wrong with a short rotation, like 8 players. Where JVG went off the deep end was waiting until 3 1/2 minutes were left with a 25 point lead before putting in the scrubs. Adelman will give the 3rd stringers playing time whenever he can. In addition, the opportunities should be there because I expect a lot more blowout wins than last season. AB, Landry and Novak (if he's on the team) will at least get a chance to knock the rust off.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Great post. Your scenario makes 100% total sense.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Given the team's penchant for blowing big leads last year....

anyway, I'm looking at Adelman's 05 game logs and it looks like the 10th or 11th man off the bench is logging 2-3 minutes even in blowouts.

#16 SamFisher, Oct 6, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Since the offense will be less stagnant and because we have more talent, blowing big leads shouldn't be a major concern (I hope).

I guess we'll have to wait and see how much time the scrubs get. It might take a while for Adelman to figure it out.

18. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Since when did having too many good players became a problem? The more depth we have, the better chance of us going deep into the playoffs.

19. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

This article sux...