1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone who wants Morey to get fired is a *insert a more appropriate word*

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Nov 27, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Yes. They are all missing open shots.

Corey Brewer has been terrible. He's missing wide-open corner 3's.

James Harden has been bricking wide-open 3's.

Marcus Thornton started the season hot. But now he's bricking wide-open 3's.

Others like Jason Terry, Trevor Ariza, and Patrick Beverley are simply shooting below their average currently.

Shooters like Harden, Brewer, and Thornton are up and down all season. They'll go on stretches where they can't hit anything, and they'll have stretches during the season where they can't miss. They are all having stretches where they can't hit anything.

Terry, Ariza, and Beverley haven't been terrible shooting the 3, but they've been a bit below their average. They aren't completely cold, but they aren't hot either.

They don't have one guy right now who is hot behind the line. Last year Brewer had a stretch when he first joined the team where he couldn't miss. Josh Smith last year had a stretch where he was like 19 of his last 20 or something. Harden had many times where he was money from 3 all day. Beverley came back from injury on fire. Ariza started knocking them down when Brewer came on board and they reduced his minutes some.

They all had points last year where they were on fire. They are streaky shooters, and they are all slumping right now to start the season.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Don't fire him. Just bring him down to earth. He's been feeling himself the past few years.

3. MFG16

MFG16 Member

You do realize the midrange game not being in the offense is completely on Morey right? You say you want more midrange shots but then give zero blame to Morey's philosophy. Makes zero sense. Yes, people knew Mchale's shortcomings but you'd think if Morey was going to shove 3s and lay ups/dunks down the coaches throat he'd, I don't know, get players that fit that philosophy?

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Again not including midrange shots (While i wish we would include them) should not be a scapegoat for bad coaching. No midrange shots does not exactly equal the coaches being puppets.

5. MFG16

MFG16 Member

While I agree with you that this team was/is poorly coached, not including midrange shots is a sure fire sign of a puppet. No good coach in this league would completely elimate an important factor of the game for a philosophy. If you told Pop that he had to go away from the midrange shot he'd go out the next game and his team would shoot 100% midrange shots and he'd bench whoever shoots a 3 or layup. You even said in your first response that people knew that he'd hire a puppet and wish he didn't.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I'm not going to argue with you over your definition of what a puppet is. I will say that Mchale and his assistants were bad with or without mid range shots. So I believe a good coach would still be good with or without the mid range. Would I like him to allow the mid-range? Yup but it's not forcing coaches to make bad decisions. If we are losing like this we need to use everything at our disposal. One thing I like about JB is that he has already ran a couple of plays specifically for mid range no matter what Morey's philosophy is.

7. MFG16

MFG16 Member

You keep going in circles. "Mchale's and his assistants were bad with or without midrange shots." Then you immediately give JB, an assistant who you said was bad with or without midrange shots, credit for taking midrange shots. The latter part of the bold makes no basketball sense.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I blame Morey for giving Corey Brewer a new deal and it's looking like the Lawson deal is going to be a total bust, but anyone who thinks Morey should be fired doesn't get an opinion.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Looking at your football opinions, you definately don't deserve one either

**** Morey .

1 person likes this.
  10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

That's not going around in circles. Complementing JB as a coach is not the same as saying he was a great assistant with Mchale. As a matter of fact I don't know that he is a good coach or bad coach just yet. I do know he runs the same system and we have the same problems but his rotations are better and he has done some things here and there better than Mchale. At the same time you said that he's a puppet because of Morey's philosophy. I just gave you an example of where he wasn't being his puppet. So that means the idea that the coach is totally a puppet and doesn't have freedom to make in game adjustments pretty much a lie. It's just a reason to blame Morey. Really we just had a bad coach.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, yeah I'd imagine people with terrible sports takes would look at mine and disagree. I'll take it as a compliment.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Mid range shots arent important they are considered the worst shots in bball, unless you have someone good at them everyone is better off not taking them.

The rockets have had players who took mid range Js before like Patterson, Marcus Morris, Luis Scola. When we had players who are able to make mid range shots they are allowed to take mid range shots. You're looking at Beverly and Ariza and wondering why they dont take mid range Js? (Clue: they ain't Steph Curry)

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Rox went to WCF with virtually the same roster except without JSmith and with Lawson. Why do you act like Morey built a losing team all these years? Interesting

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Morey hasn't put together a coaching staff that can get the most out of this flawed team who is tired of watching one player go one on one and the highest paid player doing absolutely nothing to improve his game

15. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Moreyball is losers basketball

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Morey hired McHale and acquired all these players. He should absolutely be held responsible for the performace of this team.

17. omgTHEpotential

I'd trade Harden before I'd fire Morey.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Morey will get you another Harden, Harden won't get you another Morey.

19. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Never understood this line of reasoning on Lawson. Morey has consistently brought in guys who are "troubled" the past 3 years and forced McHale to integrate them seamlessly. He finally got so many malcontents on the team that do things like refuse defensive assignments and don't seem interested in team basketball that we are a laughing stock everywhere but this website for firing our coach, and yet it is still not his fault that these guys don't assimilate to a system?

He brings in low BBIQ guys, turnover prone guys, non-defenders, and non-shooters, and yet it is still not his fault it didn't work out? I'm amazed at the leeway people give Morey on this website vs. the amount of blame they give a guy who isn't even here any more. Seems like confirmation bias stacking up.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is a very fair take. Not sure anybody can disagree with this. Morey has flaws, but overall is very solid.