1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone want Adonal Foyle as a backup center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 13, 2007.

1. akuma

akuma Member

i never really understood the whole concept of buyouts. why would a team pay one of their players many millions of dollars to go play for another team? the buyout salary still counts against the cap, and in most cases the new salary is almost the same as the original. like in Stevie's case (don't get me wrong; i'm happy the Blazers bought him out), the Blazers didn't have to pay him $30 million to turn the Rockets into a championship contender for the next few years. did they really have no intention of even using such a talent at all the next two seasons?

2. Navman

Navman Member

That was different. The trade was conditional upon Francis and the Blazers agreeing to the buyout prior to the draft. Otherwise, Francis might have pulled another whiney act that got him out of Vancouver.

In Foyle's case, I agree with you. Why the hell would a team buyout a player making that much bank without getting a return of any kind..and worse, might have to play against that player someday? The only reason that makes ANY kind of sense is to open that roster spot for someone who will contribute more.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

No, the reason is that the Blazers got out of Randolph's contract to get Steve and they bought him out because they don't want him taking a roster spot and any of their young guys minutes. They are rebuilding and it's not like Francis can even get them past the first round. I definitely understand buyouts on rebuilding teams which is what GS and Portland are.

4. Daw204

Daw204 Member

Assuming that Juwan howard is bought out by Minny, who would you rather have,

Juwan or Foyle?

5. AXG

AXG Member

Expert Analysis

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'd keep going after deke. if he turns chooses retirement over a minimum contract with limited PT, then foyle is the next best guy.

go after foyle, give deke a deadline, and see what pans out.

7. windfern

windfern Member

no thanks. i'd rather hv Deke back.

8. Navman

Navman Member

Isn't that what I said before? Regardless, Steve told the media that he knew prior to the draft that he'd be bought out by Portland in the trade. He agreed to it. You can't buy out somebody without their consent. You did know that right?

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Fourth? Who is our third? Currently we have Yao and Butler under contract.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Foyle makes Eric Dampier look like the GOAT

Just say no to Foyle

11. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

This man tells the truth.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I might be getting a little ahead of myself here but i'm just assuming Deke will re-sign.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that is a big assumption.

deke isn't interested in the minumum. he's a proud guy and may choose to end his HOF career w/o needing ever playing for the lowest amount allowable.

not to mention that he will have a very reduced role (yao's backup for 8 minutes a game), especially under adleman who would probably play scola at center for a few minutes.

being yao's insurance is hardly a reason to spend another year traveling insttead of with his family.

it might be easier (and a safer bet) to get foyle.

14. howe070523

howe070523 Member

and he will hit the camera on top of the glass.
    Brilliant! ;)

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I wouldn't necessarily call it a big assumption since it's at worst a 50/50 call. He just built a home in Houston. If he comes back for another year it's almost a certainty it will be as a Rocket. [knock on wood]

....and in regards to playing as Yao's insurance policy, I think that worked out pretty well for him last year. Not that there could be anything positive in Yao getting injured but Deke did do a tremendous job of holding down the fort until Yao came back. Besides, it's not like Yao is going to play 40 minutes a night either. He'll remain in his comfort zone of 30-35 minutes a night thus leaving Deke, Scola, Butler and whoever else the opportunity to play backup five minutes.

16. Junetastic

Junetastic Member

I'm sure you've watched only a few Warriors games in your life. Foyle contributed nothing to the Warriors under Nelson. He was too slow and offensively inept to play for Don Nelson. He repeatedly lost his starting center job even during Mike Montgomery's tenure. There are guys in the NBDL who will contribute more than Foyle. Have you ever seen Foyle's career stats?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3178/career;_ylt=AinZTrfZpWLYcYaDUI4tUMikvLYF

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

at least on the bright side foyle can bring his playoff experience, all 93 seconds of it!

ugh no way to foyle he is not the answer as a backup, heck even as a 3rd string i would like to see deke resigned, heck I'd like to see kevin duckworth resigned before foyle is in a rockets jersey

18. craig.ng

craig.ng Member

let me say no!!!
    we got our jackie, i think he's got potential!

19. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

That's funny, I had forgotten about Duckworth.....