1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone use Kodi?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Jul 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Been using Kodi since this thread was made! Thanks, Clutchfans. I have used the TVaddons.com skin, I guess, but I've pretty much solely been using the Exodus app. I'm not interested in watching live sports on it, just perusing the unlimited free TV shows and movies. When I first started, Kodi didn't feel reliable enough for me to cut the cord. But since the release of Exodus, I've had a great experience with it. The Firestick itself crashes and does weird stuff occasionally, kinda like you'd expect from a jail token device. I successfully side loaded Kodi on the first try following a written tutorial on TVaddons.com. That site makes it real easy if you don't mind them taking over Kodi for you.

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I would do a fresh install, if you install it over another build, it shouldn't be an issue, since they use most of the same add ons

haven't experimented with other Add Ons outside of what in the build, I've downloaded a few Filipino add on for my parent's box, that's about it.

3. Dave2000

How are you liking the Remix Mini? I bought mine like back in Feb but barely just set it up last month. It runs SMOOTH as hell, probably going to mess with it to install Emulators/ROMs this weekend

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Use mine all the time. It sits between my work laptop and personal on my desk and play sports talk (610, then 790), baseball games, or music all day long. Then watch TV or movies through a 24" Insignia hdtv and a cheap 3 piece speaker setup. Also have a wireless Logitech K400 and mouse. I really like it... its small, quiet, and runs what I need. I haven't felt the urge to root it (my two tablets are rooted and I have rooted phones in the past). I'd have to see a compelling use-case to root it.

I read complaints (doesn't/can't run Marshmallow, doesn't project 4K as promised, some had issues side-loading Play Services a few months back) but I haven't had any issues and think it was $40 well spent.

I understand Jide is talking about a replacement model with a slightly more powerful processor. Guessing it will be upgraded to Marshmallow (likely not Nougat). I also read it will be OEM'd out to other vendors to sell. We'll see.

btw, here's a picture of my office desk with the Remix Mini (left of the display) playing Kodi with the new skin. Note CF on the laptop on the right (natch).

[​IMG]

#124 NewRoxFan, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  5. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Dave, where is that best "Castaway" LIVE SPORT SECTION typical sportsstream choice your sports fix? Is it atdhenet.net type 1st option is typically the best resolution most reliable? My CUBS vs. RANGERS resolution is super choppy stream when I clicked on most.

OR Can anyone talk me thru the SpinzTV setup in order to practice watching live sporting event such as Cubs game this afternoon? I see the Sports section of course then the MLBtv ask for username + password. Of course I want to just find a free stream to practice for football season.

#125 ron413, Jul 15, 2016
  6. NewRoxFan

I'd suggest setting up the SpinzTV skin, as it comes with Castaway already set, then try Batman Stream. Not the best stream but certainly watchable (Cubs up 6-0... thanks Cubs!).

Here's a good instruction for setting up SpinzTV:

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-shadow-builds-kodi/

There are a number of youtubes as well. Good luck.

#126 NewRoxFan, Jul 15, 2016
  7. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Thanks, that worked for mid-level resolution:cool: I was just practicing for September Football season on if there are more HIGH DEF streams sometimes!

8. Dave2000

nice setup NRF!

Most of the straming sports links usually coming from the same source, atdhenet.net is usually best bet for me

9. VanityHalfBlack

The Arez wizard working for anyone? the movies app don't work for ****.

10. Dave2000

Haven't tried in awhile since Spinz told them not to store their build anymore, and Spinz made their own install wizard

which movie apps you trying? I've been using Specto/Exodus/Phoenix

11. VanityHalfBlack

Exodus and Specto usually never works and I'm always getting update failed? SHould I reinstall everything? I must've done something wrong. I WANT TO WATCH HARD TARGET 2 DAMMIT!!!

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

2 people like this.
  13. Dave2000

#133 Dave2000, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  14. bigben69

bigben69 Member

15. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I picked up one too. Got it from Amazon though. Hopefully, this thing will replace my old WD TV media player.

16. Dave2000

Did you find one on Amazon with 2GB/16GB setup? I found one but in the $60 range, I just ordered the one at the link above since I just charged it to my Paypal Credit account

17. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Yes, it was $53.99. I get mine tomorrow.:grin:

18. NewRoxFan

The NexBox looks very interesting. I am using a Remix Mini with similar specs and original cost but due to a bad build decision (use of AllWinner chip) is limited to Lollipop and thus misses out on benefits of MM and now Nougat OS.

I might go ahead and order the NexBox through Amazon. Is there a reasonable level of support from the vendor and/or user community? No issues with common Android apps? Any root yet? Since the Remix Mini is pretty much locked in do to poor spec and almost no root (and the Jide folks appear to be focused instead on their OS and future devices), I'd be happy to move to a different platform and use the lesser device behind a TV in a different room.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I might get one too, but every Amazon review talks about how terrible the remote is. So I guess you'll need something to replace that with.

20. NewRoxFan

On my Remix I use a wireless keyboard/mouse so I wonder how much you use the remote for. A similar box from Beelink uses a simpler remote and looks like its better made. For @$40-50 you probably can't be too picky.