1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    EAST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the Pacers avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone remember Jim Boylen?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sean Reynolds, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds Member

This is a completely out of the blue question, but it seems he's one of the top candidates for the University of Utah job. I'm a Ute fan and was wondering if anyone remembers much about him, since he spent some time with Houston during their glory run in the 1990s.

Any information and thoughts on him would be a plus.

Oh and you better believe I'm looking forward to a rebirth of the Utah-Houston rivalry! :)

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

What's up Utah Jazz fan!

Karl Malone ! @!~~ John Stockton!#!~~!@

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

if you google him, he's a coach at Michigan State.

he was actually interviewed on the local sports talk show on wednesday if i recall.

4. Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds Member

Yes I know he's an assistant at Michigan State. But I want your views on him. Was he a good assistant? I heard rumors that he was a possible candidate to replace Rudy T when he left, is this true? If so, why wasn't he picked?

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I don't remember. But I thought Bill Berry was the top assistant under Rudy? maybe. I know he had a stop in Chicago.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't recall Boylen being a top candidate to replace Rudy when he left. Didn't Bill Berry go off to the Bulls or something?

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I remember Jim starting off in charge of game tapes and research, worked his way up from there...

8. Panda

Panda Member

I don't think Boylen was a top candidate for Rudy's job, or even a candidate. Larry Mr.Mean Smith was in charge when Rudy went out near the end of his final season. I think Boylen had been a video/misc guy before JVG replaced Rudy.

9. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Wasn't Boylen already gone before Rudy got sick? No bad feelings or anything- I think Jim got chance to be a head coach somewhere.

Bill Berry did go to Chicago as an asst. in '97? , but I do not know where he is now. I recall Berry being a very effective asst. for Rudy.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Aren't there two Jim Boylens, both ass't coaches, with slightly different name spellings?

Wasn't the Rudy Boylen his top assistant the last couple of years?

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Boylen's wife's dog bit Kenny Thomas...hence his nickname, K9.

We always wondered how a little dog on in a car could bite you on the face unless without you leaning forward to kiss the woman.

12. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

i remember the coaching canidates when rudy t left being:
    calvin murphy
    phil jackson
    jeff van gundy
    larry brown

jim may have been a canidate but he was probably at the very bottom of the list. i remember jim and i think he probably left out of loyalty to rudy. i believe he landed a job at golden state?

of course you know les wanted to make a splash w our new coach (especially since the rumor was our beloved rudy was forced out) and many people belive larry brown was stolen out from under us by the pistons who went on to win a championship.