1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone know a good dog assassin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mateo, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I would have lost it at this point. Hopefully the management is doing something for your troubles and is punishing the doorman in some way. What an ass.

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

According to my buddy the apt broker, the fact that I actually have police reports for noise violations means I can pretty much walk into the leasing office at any time during the term of my lease, slap em down, and say "adios!"

This could come in handy if I find a good two bedroom before the kid shows up.

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

That's a great story. Seriously, I hate people that just refuse to believe things like that and do nothing to be helpful... ARGH! lol.

So no problems so far?

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

FYI, the dog moves out Friday.

Since I had a hook-up (via a coworker) with the police on 55nd St, the cops came 3 times when I called and gave my downstairs neighbors the maximum $200 fine for excessive noise. A piece of advice: cops dont mind sitting in your apt listening to a dog howl when you provide them your wife's homemade chocolate chip cookies and a cold soda or water (it was a hot summer).

$600 in fines later, they decided to leave.
    And now I have some pals in the NYPD.

MATEO IS VICTORIOUS!!!!

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Nice.

Good job Mateo!

Barking dogs forced us to move from out last place.

Some dog owners have no consideration.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I have a dog, but I have no idea how to make it keep quiet. Any suggestions, other than a muzzle?

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Fine it $600. :D

8. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

shotgun.

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Get a bark collar, but watch those settings. I was playing around with one when I first got it and accidently set it to the highest setting. My dog barked to go outside and jumped so high that her head was even with the top of the door. After a while they get the message that they cannot bark with that collar on. Even after the batteries went dead, just putting the collar on made her not bark.

10. codell

Training.

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

that's one of the reasons I have cats instead of dogs. ;)

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I don't think that will always work. I have beagles, just like what this post is about, and I think it's pretty much impossible to train them "not to bark." We took one of them to a two week training course at a Man's Best Friend type of place, and the trainer pretty much told us the same. Some breeds of dogs, specifically hounds, are always going to be big talkers. The key is to have them in an environment where it's not going to be a problem - Like not in an apartment or kept in the backyard all day to bother neighbors.

13. codell

Its quite possible. But I do agree with the latter half of your statement, as far as making sure the environment is not going to be a problem.

Where I moved from, my next door neighbor had two beagles, and although each of them had their moments (usually 1 or 2 min fits at the most), when they were let out in the backyard, they weren't habitual howlers or barkers, and of course, we never heard them when they were inside. These were pure-bred AKC Beagles too. He took the time to train them and teach them discipline all by himself (granted, he has alot of experience with training dogs).

Ironically, the other neighbor, who had an Australian Sheep Dog (same breed as mine), just left his dog out in the backyard to bark, a good 6-8 hours straight until he would finally quite down at around 12am-2am.

Dog owner's who can't control or take responsibility for their dog and their actions should not have a dog to begin with IMO. I think my neighbor and Mateo's neighbor are classic examples here.

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I love those little victories.....

Makes life seem so much more enjoyable.

15. droxford

droxford Member

Score one for the good guys! Great job, mateo!

The lesbians that live next door to us own two large barking dogs (a German Shepherd and a Lab). They are cooped up in a small back yard all day, and are in an even smaller room next to their garage all night. And they bark... and bark... and bark.

16. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

My step-daughter recently took in a 4-month old half german shepherd / half wolf. This is the most f*cked up animal ever. All this animal knows how to do is chew expensive sh*t and crap on everything.

Sometimes I just wonder why people choose worthless animals as pets.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

umm, it's still a pup. all pups teeth and need potty training. not a single dog doesn't chew when it's young.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't have the problems that you were having, Mateo. But, let me ask this question. My dogs will bark if their looking out the front window, which I pull the blind up when I'm at work so they can see out front for anything and everything(traffic, mail man, garbage man, etc.). However, they would go ape**** whenever there was something to bark at and bark for a while like crazy. So, I bought this $20 barking device(not a collar) where it will make a semi-loud siren-like wailing noise if they bark more than one time. So, now they have learned that they can only bark once before that loud noise goes off scaring the piss out of them. So, they do this weak little first bark and then a low sounding grumble thereafter. Or, else, they know that this loud sound will go off. It's pretty funny watching them try to get around this and they cannot.

My question is...what would a Beagle do if it heard that noise(i.e. a high pitched wailing siren that goes off for 10 seconds)? Would they continue to bark through that or would they respond because of their sensitive hearing? I know it works on my dogs. The owner would probably need a few of them strategically placed around the apartment. I personally don't see how any dog would continue barking once this sound is triggered. The siren is loud enough to freak out the dogs but not loud enough to disturb neighbors like a barking Beagle would do.

I would have tried this before I moved the dog out but, obviously, you got the better option there with the dog moving out.

Surf

19. droxford

droxford Member

We purchased and used a Bark Free and it worked for a little while when they had just the German Shepherd. But when they got he lab, both dogs would bark and the Bark Free didn't seem to affect them enough for them to stop.

20. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Sounds like my ex.