1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone here with the rare Fiber to the premise Uverse setup?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scionxa, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

As most of you may or may not know, Uverse TV is typically delivered to your home/apt via copper wiring (existing phone lines from years and years ago) and then from there goes to your TV box using either Ethernet or coax.

What is really rare is Uverse FTTH/P setup. (Fiber to the home/premise). I've heard of this setup before but have never actually seen it. It is supposedly only available to about five percent of Uverse customers. I just got a new home and what did I find ? Fiber going into my closet (Not POTS service, ACTUAL FIBER OPTICS) via an Alcatel Lucent at&t box. Plus a patch panel and switch for Ethernet jacks throughout place.

Has anyone seen this setup (the fiber, not patch panel) before in the Houston area outside of the Sugar land area? Also, does anyone know if the streaming bitrate on their TV service is higher than the traditional set up?I've personally seen the HD service on traditional Uverse and its garbage compared to DirecTV or Comcast and was wondering if this rare setup alleviates that or if there are added benefits besides me probably being eligible for gigapower when it rolls out.

I'm currently with Comcast for internet and I am talking strictly about their IPTV service.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

U-verse doesn't go through copper since the coax doesn't belong to ATT. It goes through telephone lines. At least not in my home.

3. Scionxa

What are telephone lines made out of ? :)

Xerobull likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

My bad. I though you meant coax.

5. opticon

opticon Member

In sienna plantation they have fiber to the home provided by entouch.

No one usually installs fiber to the home just for giggles, some provider more then likely owns the lines and will connect service if you contact them.

It maybe a smaller provider that you have no idea exists.

I had no idea who entouch was till I had friends moving out to Sienna who had questions on what Internet to choose.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Very Nice! If you have FTTH, you're very fortunate. Around my areas, if you're lucky to have FTTH, you can get 1GPS connection for $100.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Are you positive that AT&T is the provider in your new neighborhood? Could be equipment for a smaller provider as mentioned before or for Verizon Fios.

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I had it when I had uverse. Lines still exist. It's called fiber to the curb.

9. Scionxa

100 percent. The fiber is enclosed in an AT&T box and I just went to a dslreports forum and found someone post a picture of what Fiber to the home via AT&T looks like and it matches up perfectly.

10. Scionxa

I'm aware of Fiber to the curb, but this is actual fiber to the home. the enclosure box has a blue fiber cable into what I believe is called a "GPON" in my closet

This is what my enclosure box looks like. (taken from a dsl reports forum post, not my actual box)

[​IMG]

11. studogg

that's what I have - they always called it fiber to the curb.

12. Scionxa

13. studogg

They had to run it over fiber when they initially installed but later were able to run over copper. I'm in Spring Trails and only half the neighborhood was able to get it at first (the newer section) because they were laying fiber the the new side. That was 8 years ago and they've begun running over copper since. I'm sure given the cost, they dumped the fiber rollout.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

Cleverly disguised "i am downloading a ton of p*rn right now" thread.

15. Scionxa

Naw fam. I don't even have AT&T except for cell phone.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

This is what I was going to suggest. I was one of their first customers in the Katy area in one of the newer neighborhoods. :eek: Yes, I evacuated already.

17. Scionxa

Wow. Ordered Uverse TV and had it installed yesterday (rather quickly), and my god that is the worst HD quality I've ever seen from any provider.

The compression....

Cancelling today. I will have to admit the DVR interface and system is sleek and user friendly. Channels switch super fast unlike my previous directv genie system and I've yet to try the X1 so I can't really comment on that.

18. studogg

X1 is the best, far and away

19. Scionxa

What do you like most about it? That's actually what I plan on getting. Calling Comcast today for the X1.

Is it true it requires professional installation and I can't just pick up a self install kit?

20. studogg

correct on the install though I don't remember if they did anything special or just mandated them delivery and install.

The interface is superior to any other system I've used (direct, uverse, comcast standard), intuitive streamlined, fast switching, multi-last channel function, quick searches. The system is stable (no calls to comcast support, clutch!). The quality of HD is outstanding, especially coming off of uverse. The library on on-demand is far and away the best. It has comcast sportsnet now and not in october.

1 person likes this.