1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone here uses f.lux - better lighting for your computer ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dback816, Jan 29, 2011.

1. dback816

dback816 Member

1 person likes this.
  2. kramer_k

kramer_k Member

I do, all it does really is change the color composition, making it a little redder/orange at night and bluer during the day. Try it out, set it to transition for an hour, and turn it off one night. Your eyes will burn.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Yeah I use it. If you are looking at pictures you have to switch it off when making color corrections or anything.

4. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

wow I just installed it into my computer, wow, my eyes feel different!

5. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

also, would it affect the colors say, if I'm playing a computer game?

6. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

I like it, thanks for bringing it to my attention. It will probably help get me to sleep faster too which I definitely need.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It affects everything in the sense that it changes the color temperature of your screen. You can do the same thing by adjusting your monitor from warm to cool temperatures using its hardware settings. This is just more convenient.

I used this for a while, but forgot to install it again once I re-installed my OS due to a hard drive starting to go bad. Thanks for reminding me.

8. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

This is the reason why I started using it, being exposed to blue light before you sleep isn't suppose to be good. Don't think it made that much difference in that regard, but I still use it since it seems to strain my eyes less.

9. Trip

Trip Member

I've used it for almost a year now and I don't even notice it anymore. When I turn it off though it hurts my eyes, so having it must be better.

10. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

I highly recommend it if you use the computer for long hours after sunset. Like another poster mentioned above, you can toggle it off for an hour at a time if having to work with colors, photos, or what not.

It took a couple of days for my eyes to get used to the orange-ish effects, but it has lessened the strain on my eyes and I've been able to sleep better.

11. trustme

trustme Member

Is this essentially just a program that adjusts the brightness/dimness of your screen automatically?

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Its a little more than that, it also seems to affect the warmth of the color. For example, at night it is dimmer, but it is also a little more orange. So the color is slightly distorted. If you want to switch back real quick, there is a button that allows you to do that for an hour. The difference is immediate. Just try it out!