1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have JVG's interview from 1560 this morning?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TesseracT, Jan 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Asian Sensation

lol that's pretty funny

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

'sigh' I really miss the guy now. It's sad that we had to change coaches to realize that most of our problems actually lie with the players. JVG was making up for a lot of deficiencies.

3. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

he would be getting around 18 shots a game, that's if you add up the 5 times he throws the ball away or gets stripped for a turnover..

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

you didn't get my point.

1) his passion was not appreciated during his time. we are starting to miss his paasion now.

2) now, ra is not appreciated nowadays by a quite few fans here. maybe one day when he is gone, we will understand what he does to the team.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Man I miss JVG.. I really hope Mcgrady gets better and Yao gets more touches. We need to get this team clicking for the playoffs. Like JVG said, sacrifice now for later. Seeding doesn't matter as much as good chemistry/health in time for playoffs.

6. SugarLandDream8

Except for Kirk Snyder, Vassilis Spanoulis, Bonzi and other role players

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Oops, I accidentally just rated this "1 star"

Sorry.. This thread is most definitely 5 STARS..

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

was, am, and will prob always be a jvg fan. the man knows the game and is passionate (to his detriment at times) about it.

the main area we miss jeff, imo, is his personality. sports teams typically take on the identity of their coach. cowboys (phillips) are lax. old rox (jvg) were tough and gritty. lakers (phil) focus on the big pic but prone to being lax in the face of toughness. new rox (rick) lax.

anytime you have a team whose leaders are soft (yao & tmac) it is imperative to have a strong coach. I don't doubt rick's pedigree. I do doubt his ability to guide the lockerroom.

this team shows me nothing to believe they respect adelman's position. the players dictate when they play & how they play. this NEVER happened under jeff.

adelman's laissez faire attitude has so permeated this team that we often appear apathetic. sure, jeff had games where we looked apathetic, but we almost always bounced back with an unmatched effort. there was a pride to the team.

can anyone imagine jvg allowing the inmates to run the asylum? I certainly cannot. now, I don't know how he and ronron would get along, but my guess is that ron would respect the work ethic. he probably wouldn't like gettin cussed out in practice, but he'd luv the undying public support jeff would've given.

jeff was our leader. not mac or yao. now, we look to a 45yr old center for it. nothing against deke, but he doesn't hold the gavel of playing time or "trade". u can turn a deaf ear to deke. jeff would climb your leg and bite that ear.

*sigh*

I didn't like us firing him then, and I dislike it even more now.

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

none of whom are playing in the NBA anymore ;)

(yet tons of you said he was an idiot for not playing them)

The majority of this board supported his firing and called for it all season

10. ghost2003

ghost2003 Member

So he's now Tracy McLady?

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yao can get 5 shots at a game and treat his teammates to dinner the day after....

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

This is why getting rid of JVG was a bad move at the time. Had he had Scola, Landry and Brooks he could have done better than RA, 22 in a row or not.

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

BINGO! We have a winner here!

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

Yea. Not to mention he loved Oakley, Barret, Strickland, Jackson (Mark), and whoever.

And... next season the next coach made Bonzi useful again, and we traded him when he had value. After going through more trades... we got Artest.

I like Jeff. I like Rick. Both bring something different to the table. I thought it was time for Jeff to go after the Utah Jazz series.

And with either coaching, when injuries happen, it's hard to get any wins.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Still do, and think that one of those players if he stayed would be the starting PG on this current team.

:D

DD

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking back at it, it's a miracle the rockets were as good as they were given the extremely limited talent. No coach got more from less.

well said. It's sad that such a great coach, who LOVED houston had to get the can. Les forever went on my poo-list after that

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If the coach is the leader the team is not going anywhere, you need the leadership from players on the floor.

Unfortunatly, we have a bunch of daiseys out there.

And let's not forget that JVG left because he failed to sign the extension when offered, he could still be here.

DD

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

you're right re: coach/leader/titles. still, the team does often (not always) takes on the identity of the coach. case in point: the spurs. the leader is tim, but, the gritty, disciplined ID is pop's.

off-topic, but your statement bolsters my thoughts that our utah losses weren't solely a factor of jvg, but also the players. as gritty as we were, we ultimately didn't have a player grab the game by the gonads and squeeze. jeff had his faults as well, but someone grabbing a rebound for us would've let us advance. I digress....

as for jvg and the extension, again, you're right that he didn't sign it when offered. he wanted some time to review the season/players, and les wasn't having it. in retrospect, jeff has said he regrets that.

my question for you is do you think we'd be going through all of this BS if jeff were still here?

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Someone needs to tell Rafer he's not a scoring point guard.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe it's just me... but whenever JVG talks about how much he liked the guys on the team (both guys he coached and new additions like Scola and Artest), I get the impression he's subtly letting it known that he wants the job in case they want to make a move. Of course, he's not gonna violate the coaching code by undermining Adelman, and have only said positive things about Adelman. But that's my impression.

Consipiracy Theory: He still lives in Houston, hasn't found another coaching job yet. I assumed he can get out of his ESPN contract if he wants to return to coaching.